ten

Reverie

 ten

 

 

It didn’t take me long to collect myself as I walked away from the kitchens. I felt lighter a perhaps a little bit foolish to be tricked by the gossip of hopeful and forceful mothers. Surely the Prince would find himself immune to the tricks of a Duchess when he, himself, was experience enough with women. I paused for a moment feeling a bit of jealousy tighten my jaw. I convince myself that his past rompings were none of my business.

 

Nevertheless, I was in better spirits as I dragged along my parasol that had no use as the sun was now very low in the sky. As I neared the royal garden, the guards were setting up some firepits to lit up the large area to continue the Fete. I wasn’t sure how many games or performances I had missed out when I was in the kitchens. However, I was content with the fact that despite being robbed some time from the Prince, I strongly believed (but mostly hoped) that he was having an awful time.

 

And with that thought in mind, I wasn’t going to let it spoil my mood. Not when there were always curious eyes around wondering and waiting to see what I would do so I could be a topic of gossip..

 

I pushed my shoulders back, feigning confidence, and walked back to the bustle of the Fete. There was still a lot of chatter and movement amongst the guests but it wasn’t hard to find my mother and father who were sitting in the same seats they were at the picnic earlier on. I had been approaching them, avoiding the low hanging buzz of gnats and fireflies, when the King finished speaking. He was opening up the very last of the games before treating his guest to another final performance.  

 

“Those who are brave enough to try will be greatly awarded with a beautiful luncheon with a prince of your choosing, tomorrow. Is there anyone who would like to go first?” The King asked.

 

I swatted away some bugs that swarmed around my face as I reached my family, smiling at them when they noticed my return.

 

You there,” The King spoke up, “Is that…”

 

“Miss Kaira!” Baekhyun’s voice pierced through the summer evening air. The sun was setting behind him and he looked positively radiant standing on the large Gazebo where all his family stood.

 

We locked eyes and he had understood something that I still had no idea I was a part of. I looked around wondering why I had been called out.

 
The Third Prince stepped forward and motioned towards me, “Anyone who can aim better than our cherished Kaira, will earn all of our respects. Wouldn’t you agree Father?”  

 

I heard Jongdae groan somewhere behind me once the crowd stopped for a moment of silence before bursting into a low murmur of chatter. I stood there frozen, unsure of what to do until the gentle push of my mother ushered me to go up to the very targets I had seen earlier in the day. The ones with the painted tigers on it. The targets still had the guided circles on them.

 

A guard guided me to a set of bows and arrows that were found near the Royal Family. I tried not to watch their own curious looks as I found myself trying to get out of the task, seeing how now I felt like I was put on a pedestal. A few curious girls, (I assumed the ones interested in the Princes) stood up, poking their heads above the line of seated heads to see how well I would do. Duchess Binna was nowhere in sight, but her sister Ara was watching me intently.

 

I gritted my teeth, holding on to the bow.

 

If it hadn’t been for her sister, I would have enjoyed the prospect of spending a wonderful afternoon with Prince Baekhyun. I casted a long look at her and before long, the Duchess's father rose. He was prominent looking man with a scruffy beard and a large body. His eyes were clearly not impressed with me as I walked up to the marked line.

 

He was skeptical. It was the same air of arrogance that I had to endure for those two years at school. Inhaled and turned to the guard to hand me an arrow.

 

It had been a while since I was able to target practice. It wasn’t a skill that was much appreciated at school. Still, occasionally I would sneak away into the forest during our free time and just tried to shoot at some animals if I came across some.

 

I positioned myself, seeing the flicker of the fire casting a dancing shadow on the target. I raised the bow pulling back on the string with the arrow pinched between my pointer and middle finger.

 

I inhaled and then, exhaled releasing the arrow right into the target that I aimed for.

 

The Duchesses Father let out a roar of laughter.

 

“She isn’t even close to the bullseye,” He announced, “My daughters-”

 

I didn’t get to listen to the rest of his words. I swiftly grabbed another arrow and aimed it back to the target, releasing the arrow not a moment later. I began to walk away when I heard the thud of a hit. As the Duchesses father tried to convince others of my fallen grace, the King lunched himself forward as he took a good look at the target. I gracefully handed the bow back to the guard who's mouth was agape.

 

I had reached my family when the news broke amongst the crowd in a silent whisper.

 

Jongdae narrowed his eyes at me, “You just love to shut them up, don’t you?”

 

I gave him a stiff smile and plopped down, crossing my arms, "Just him."

 

She hit the tiger’s eyes!” Someone cried out, “Both eyes!”

 

 

It wasn’t really expected that any eligible girl would be able to match what I had done especially since it was a hazard to have unskilled girls try their hand at archery for the first time there. Still, there was a surprising shot made by a Baron’s daughter who was able to send a good arrow at the target. Although it was nowhere near the impressive shots I made.

 

The King quickly announced that she would be the clear winner in order to stop the depressing show of skills from the girls. The winning girl had shyly been lead up to the gazebo to choose the prince of her liking. Prince Baekhyun and I found ourselves staring at each other in horror when she began to approach him.

 

It was certainly a relief when she walked past him to approach her real pick, Prince Sehun, the Fifth Prince. Everyone clapped at her fine choice and I was able to breathe. I crossed my arms allowing the relief wash over me, it had been an eventful day afterall.

 

Luckily, the performers were all brought out to finally put a stop to all the sport and games we were treated to. The King and Queen encouraged the party to stand up and dance in circles around the fire while a band of drummers began to lead in a rhythmic beat. It was the beginnings of what seemed like a great time. I scan the first few people who dared to lead a dance when I caught Prince Bakehyun climbing down the gazebo. He made a point to catch my attention and simply motion his head to point in a direction.

 

Prince Baekhyun was not going to waste the night and neither was I. He walked away, looking over his shoulders to make sure I was following some ways behind. I tried not to make it obvious that I was trailing him, casually following him from distance until we were far enough from the party to finally join each other’s side. We tried out best to look inconspicuous sneaking away, but I wasn’t sure how successful that could be executed when one times themselves strolling with a prince.

 

 I allowed him to pull me away from the sights of any curious eye and I let out a laugh as we both tumbled into a path that I hadn't been on in a long time. Prince Baekhyun was respectful and held his hands behind his back as we walked in the direction of a part of the garden where a well-hidden fountain was. 

 

“I thought I would never get to spend a bit of time with you today,” Baekhyun let out a long sigh, seemingly tired of all the work he was forced into. I let out a small laugh and lightly nudged his shoulder with my own.

 

“Tell me all about your guest, Duchess Binna,” I requested, “How is she doing?”

 

Baekhyun softly glared at me, “I assure you that it wasn’t the pleasant time everyone claimed it was.”

 

I felt extraordinarily happy when I heard the confession straight from him. I chewed on my lip trying to figure out what to say,

 

“Is she not what your parents wish for on your wifely pursuits.” I asked, knowing there was no way he would like to have someone like Duchess Binna as a wife. Thinking that the Prince would immediately object, his silence as he stayed quiet for a moment made me doubt.

 

Perhaps I didn’t know the Prince as well as I imagined.

 

Baekhyun pouted before admitting of all the dinners they had share for the past two days.

 

“My father urged me to get close to the eldest Duchess of Silla,” Baekhyun admitted, “Her father has heavily guarded fortresses that would benefit us financially if we could alleviate the taxes of some imported goods.”

 

Oh.” I blinked, “I didn’t think you… you’d be so honest with me.”

 

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his head nervously, “Well, it’s been eating me alive and none of my brother’s really care for my complaining.”

 

I nodded and he took this as a sign to continue with what was going through his mind.

 

“Also, their kingdom has the best trained military. Any threat to our safety, we would have a strong ally if need may be.” Baekhyun shrugged, “It’s not as exciting as Junmyeon’s prospects. You know father has him dancing around in Russia. Father would be content with any titled daughter for Junmyeon. My prospects have to be a bit more tactical, as does Jongin’s and Sehun’s.”

 

“Well there must be someone suitable for you here,” I wrung my hands together nervously, “If not The Duchess, surely someone… kinder.

 

“You think so?” Baekhyun peered at me, studying to see if he could find any lies in my words, The sincerity was there, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to be brash and admit that I didn’t particularly cared for Duchess Binna.

 

I ducked my head away from his gaze, embarrassed at the thought of him reading my mind.

 

“Come,” He beckoned up a neat cobbled path, “You remember the fountain, right?”

 

I scoffed, “How could I forget where you push me into the water when we were ten? You know I got a good lashing from my own mother for getting my silks all wet.”

 

Baekhyun let out a ringing laugh and with a swift motion, he took my free hand and intertwined it with his fingers. Baekhyun pulled me along in a hurry in the direction of the Fountain that was tucked away in a private cove of the garden.

 

He quickly admitted that he had been trying to actively avoid his parents after a disastrous dinner last night.

 

I stumbled over my steps trying to keep up.

 

“What do you mean?” I called out, “What happened?”

 

Baekhyun looked over his shoulder, his eyes fixated on something behind me. I naturally looked back to find that we were properly hidden from the Fete that was now a distance behind us.

 

“The Duchess of Silla has been showing her obvious interest.” Baekhyun made a face as he recalled his dinner. We had finally reached the ornate white marbled fountain and took a second to sit by the smooth edge of the pool, watching the koi fish swim comfortably around.

 

“And? Isn’t it what you want?” I questioned. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at me and I gave him a shrug. I wasn’t exactly thrilled to hear about how he had been thinking of his matches but such is the life of a Prince in the marriage market.

 

“If the financial security of this kingdom rest upon my shoulders,” Baekhyun mulled over, before leaning closer to me to make his point, “Then I believe we’re in trouble.”

 

I felt the warmth of my face radiate, “Well, perhaps there is another girl worth of your status. One that doesn’t hate me preferably.”

 

“You think I’d choose a wife that didn’t like you?” Baekhyun’s eyes twinkled sensing the slight jealousy that was written clearly on my face.

 

“I’m sure the Duchess doesn’t think very highly of me.” I wrung my hands together nervously, “She never really did in finishing school either.”

 

“How can you be so sure?” Baekhyun cocked his head, biting back a smile. He found it endearing seeing me in such a state.

 

“Well, one could assume that hogging the attention of a bachelor like yourself and is standing in the way of her potential match.” I looked away, trying to find a cool breeze to cool down my burning face.

 

Baekhyun his lips, “There is nothing that could convince me that would make her worthy in my eyes.”

 

I paused for a moment, “Was something said at the dinner? You mentioned it was disasterous.”

 

The man stopped to think, choosing his words carefully. His hand unconsciously reached out, placing its reassuring weight on my knee.

 

“She sat next to me during dinner last night,” Baekhyun slowly pieced together, “The Duchess Binna had some choice words about your attendance at the first event.”

 

“Oh,” I gulped, fully knowing of some of the opinions that had been said to be me in the past, “Well I suppose not everyone can admire the Tigress.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head seriously, “I don’t think I could marry someone that didn’t love you.”

 

I paused, looking into his earnest eyes. I felt myself lean in slightly, as if there was a small string he was using to reel me in slowly. 

 

“You are as important to me as the air I breathe,” Baekhyun gulped, “Surely, you know that.”

 

I bashfully looked away, “Your Highness, your flattery is not needed to make your point. I know you hold me in high regard.”

 

“And they need to value you as high as I do, without you, I wouldn’t be sitting here today.” Baekhyun inched himself closer, his hand softly gripping my knee. I chewed on my lip and collected myself from the explosion of flutters in my chest. I couldn’t remember Baekhyun’s words ever affecting me in this way. When did this start happening?

 

“Maybe that’s the problem,” I pointed out, placing a tentative hand on top of his hoping his grip didn’t go higher, “It’s the fact that you’re here with me instead of out there trying to look for a wife.”

 

I tried to play serious but I crumbled and felt the smile I couldn’t help from pulling the corners of my mouth. He rolled his eyes but Baekhyun remained quiet, thinking. I took the time and silence to peer into the waters of the fountain. I dipped my fingers into the cool water, tracing shapes into the surface, watching the koi fish react to my finger.

 

In a split-second decision, I used my wet hand to flick water into Baekhyun’s direction, proving to be a big mistake. He flinched at the cool water that sprayed on his face and within a second, I regretted my actions. A twinkle in his eyes set his whole face aglow. I abruptly stood up and excused myself before I faced his playful wrath, that I once known, but his reach was criminally fast.

 

He pulled me back and I immediately retracted my hand away from him.

 

“I think I hear my mother calling for me.” I lied, “I should go.”

 

“I don’t hear anything,” Baekhyun retorted, his eyes dangerously narrowed at me, like he was stalking his prey. Funny enough, I felt a bit more scared of him than I did the tiger years ago. I gulped.

 

“I really ought to-”

 

Baekhyun jumped in front of me blocking my path. If I stepped to the side, he’d mirrored my actions. We kept this dance for another minute when I gave up and crossed my arms. I let out a small huff and straightened up.

 

“Baekhyun,” I warned, “Let me pass.”


Prince Baekhyun,” He corrected.

 

“Your Highness.” I said it through gritted teeth.

 

Yours.” He grinned boring his loving eyes into mine.

 

“Mine.” I slipped out, without thinking.

 

It had caught me off guard how naturally I had replied to him. I was placed in a tricky daze when Baekhyun suddenly attacked, wrapping his strong arms around me, throwing me over his shoulder to carry me back towards the fountain.

 

I let out a cry for help followed by an insane fit of giggles. This was nearly the exact situation that I got in trouble in years ago. A young Baekhyun had been boasting about his newly found strength and decided to prove it to me by lifting me and then dropping me in the fountain as he tripped.

 

“Put me down!” I demanded, “Bakehyun! Put. Me. Down.”

 

His laughter rung out as I begged and pleased with him. Eventually even I would succumb to wildly laughing until my belly hurt from being handled in such an improper way.

 

“What is going on here?”

 

Baekhyun and I froze. We both wheeled around to find we were not alone anymore. Baekhyun carefully place me back down and I did my best to fix myself up again in the presence of the Royal Queen.

 

She, along with her two guards and servants, gave us a long silent look. I immediately took a long low bow.

 

“Your Majesty,” I greeted.

 

“Answer me,” She snapped ignoring me, “Was ten years not enough time to forget her?”

 

Clearly confused as to what the Queen was referring to, I looked to Baekhyun for help. He looked no better off than I did.

 

“Should I have sent her to a monastery instead for the rest of her life,” The Queen gave her son a hard look, “In order for you to focus on your duties as a prince?”

 

Something had finally clicked. The things that once were outside the realm of my understanding were now clear.

 

She raised her voice, “Whatever this is, son, it is undignified and uncouth. I would rather you go back to your concubines and fooling around with the court ladies than to chase around your childish pursuits. I can and I will put you in the right path, Baekhyun. Do not force me.”

 

I felt my face go red at the logn silence that followed. Baekhyun hung his head in shame of being caught while I was being torn down next to him.

 

The Queen softened her face when she turned to me, “Please do not take it in offense dear, you truly were a god send saving our precious son all those years ago. But, you must understand, our family is born with inherited rights that we cannot ignore. I’ll forgive your ignorance for our world is a universe away from your own birth but for Baekhyun, a son of Hanseong, he knows better than to defy his own parents.”

 

I stammered, “Please don’t misunderstand, Baekhyun and I…”

 

“Baekhyun?” She raised her brow, her shoulders tense from her knee-jerk reaction. There was another long silence. I nearly died when I realized I had forgotten to address him properly. The Queen turned to him.

 

“Do you want her to stay in your life?” She threatened. I felt a fear run through me that I never knew before. He had just been re-introduced in my life, I didn’t want to be taken away again. “Choose a wife, son.”

 

And with that, she made a point to walk away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Don't worry~ I promise a few more moments before... well before anything grave happens. :)