fifteen

Reverie

fifteen

 

There was a pause as the news sunk in. The rush of a million thoughts flooded my mind, filling up the panic that began to rise in me. One prospect? I glanced at Lord Kyungsoo before my brother motioned us all over towards the door. We all followed him silently as he told us of his plans for the festivities.

 

“I’ll be jumping around tables, talking to most of your suitors today. I’ll have to issue a formal apology for canceling their time with you. While I do that, please stick to Lord Kyungsoo. I trust he will keep a good eye on you before you’ll meet someone I have in mind for you.”

 

I cocked my head, “Is Lord Kyungsoo not my suitor for tonight?”

 

We exchanged looks and Lord Kyungsoo and my brother looked taken aback.

 

“Would you like him to be?” My brother slowly asked. It seemed like it was a trick question that I found myself in with no fault but mine own. I shrunk back into myself and shook my head.

 

“No reason, I suppose I assumed wrong,” I cleared my throat, “Well let’s get to this honoring, wouldn’t want to make the Royals upset for showing up too late.”

 

Unfortunately for me, it was incredibly easy to entertain the company of Lord Kyungsoo. It was always nice to speak to him. He had a great ease to his personality that put me at rest with him.

 

Unlike the presence Jongdae, Lord Kyungsoo wasn’t as annoying at the sight of my hungover brother who immediately collapsed into a sleep the moment we were settled in the carriage. He had wedged his head into the corner and crossed his arms comfortable to catch up on some sleep from his restless night.

 

“Your brother suggested this morning to accompany you in your entrance to Prince Junmyeon’s Honoring.” He gulped, giving my brother a long along across the carriage, “I suppose he took my compliments of you very seriously and thought it proper that my high regards wouldn’t sour after a long evening with you.”

 

I let out a dry laugh, “My brother and his way with words…”

 

“I apologize if you were uncomfortable with the thought of having me as a suitor.”

 

I gave him a polite smile, “Well one would be very fortunate to be courted by you.”
 

Lord Kyungsoo’s huge birdlike eyes watched me attentively as I tried my best to appear normal, but I suppose it was hard to do so when I had my first matching tonight and under the eye of the royals no less. I felt my mood dampen as I thought about only wanting to dance with Prince Baekhyun but knowing it would probably be impossible.

 

“I’m very sorry if it displeased you in the manner it was announced. I wasn’t aware you were informed.” He apologized, “I don’t have to stick close to you if you rather that, and then we could just enjoy the rest of the Honoring with each other or without. I don’t think it matters. I wouldn’t want my company to be unpleasant. But I do need to keep an eye on you like I promised your brother.”

 

I gave him a meager smile, “You are very kind Lord Kyungsoo. Please allow me to apologize for my rotten mood. If there was anyone in the world that can ruin my day by just existing, it would be my brother. Never you.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo’s eyes lit up in fascination, “I suppose it is common between siblings.”

 

I shrugged, “Do you not have any for yourself?”

 

Lord Kyungsoo shook his head, “My mother passed away shortly after I was born. My father never remarried. Once could say that he was broken over his loss. Nevertheless, I have plenty of cousins if that counts.”

 

I gave him a tender look.

 

“A love match? Seems exceptionally rare, despite my brother’s concerns.” I pointed out, only to have my brother snore out his hangover.

 

Lord Kyungsoo took note of my brother’s comatose state for a second and gave a shrug, “I must be honest with you, I have no idea if it was or not at the beginning. My father never speaks of her. But I suppose there are two possibilities.”

 

“Which are?”

 

“One, it could have been a love match,” Lord Kyungsoo nodded, “Or two, he grew to love her deeply. Either way, I suppose it’s quite inspiring to think of.”

 

“Have you met any prospects this season?” I asked, curious to hear about the courting that I barely participate in High Society. I could only imagine the kinds of parties that are held in the Myeongwol District. I know my mother was itching for me to attend something that had more potential matches than any royal functions.

 

Lord Kyungsoo gulped and nodded, “A few. The high society balls are quite different from the royal ones, don’t you think?”

 

I blinked, “I’m afraid I wouldn’t know. I haven’t had a need to attend them.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo took a long look at me and gave what felt like a rare smile on his serious face, “You know Miss Kaira, I hope whoever is fated to you knows of how fiercely independent you are, a rare occurrence in our world.”

 

I let out a long sigh, “Oh, the fates.”

 

I closed my eyes and looked out the window noticing the Palace was now in sight. It would only be another ten minutes before we arrived.

 

“I was told at a very young age that the disruption of one’s fate can cause a catastrophic tear in the predisposed timeline of life.” I muttered more to myself than to Lord Kyungsoo. Still, he listened intently as I collected my thoughts. A small smile played upon my lips as we neared the Palace. I felt my heart flutter alive with the thought of seeing Prince Baekhyun once more.

 

“Miss Kaira,” Lord Kyungsoo began, “Whether you think you deserve the life that this world has given you or not, your only duty now is to remain happy.”

 

I blinked fast, unsure of what he had meant. I meant to ask for him to elaborate but right on cue, my brother snapped up from his sleep, rubbing the dreams out of his eyes the moment our carriage slowed

 

We had arrived.

 

Lord Kyungsoo jumped out first only to help me down as I gently grabbed an armful of my skirt to ensure I didn’t tangle my shoes with the dress. Once I was on the safety of the ground, I walked back toward the familiarity of the Palace. This time around we followed the guards in a different direction over to another pavilion Gyeonghoeru.

 

It was a beautiful hall surrounded by water in a massive pond full of blooming lily pads and fireflies again. It was where all the Princes’ Honorings were held, or so I’ve heard. As history would tell, I’ve never been invited to one before.

 

Lord Kyungsoo and I walked with linked arms as my brother walked behind us. It was easy to walk with Lord Kyungsoo. It was almost as if he was like a brother that I actually got a long with.

 

We entered through a set of heavy looking decorated doors and crossed over a beautiful stoned foot bridge when we were greeted by another guard.

 

My brother spoke up, “The Kim Family, escorted by Lord Do Kyungsoo.”

 

The guard nodded his head and cleared his throat to announce to the banquet of our arrival. Lord Kyungsoo and I walked forward to this lavishly decorated pavilion. Deep red silk banners were hung with the most skilled care. Dozens of tables were scattered around the perimeter of the pavilion all carved out of the riches of woods.

 

I inhaled deeply, still unable to comprehend how lush the place looked. It was almost straight out of the picture books Prince Junmyeon used to read to me. Lord Kyungsoo led me towards the head table where the Crown Prince was sitting.

 

I lowered my head, bowing to him respectfully. When I met his eyes, there was something jarring and different about him. His eyes flickered over to Lord Kyungsoo, lingering on his for a moment before looking back at me. There was even what looked like a frown sketched on the handsome face of the Crowned Prince.

 

“Wonderful of you to join,” He plainly stated, “Please enjoy the banquet this evening, I’m sure it will be to your liking.”

 

Caught off guard from what felt like a completely different prince, I nodded silently once again and was taken to the side tables where I was seated with a few Ladies. Lord Kyungsoo pointed to the table next to us to informed me he will be nearby with a group of other men.

 

I turned slowly back to the table of Ladies who were all looking at me suspiciously. I felt a bit like I was thrown into shark infested waters. I had a flashback of the hardships I had endured in my early school years.

 

I nervously bowed my head to them and introduced myself to the table of nobility. All of the noble girls were from regions just outside of Silla. And if I had to guess, the influence of Duchess Binna must have already formed their established opinions of me because of their proximity, and their raised brows.

 

One girl to my left crossed her arms and gave me a quizzical look. I gulped slowly sinking into my seat, surprised the chokehold of my childhood was still present in me. I felt myself cave in, unable to come up with anything clever to greet them with.

 

“Miss Kaira,” The girl on my left spoke, “Is there any reason we haven’t seen you at any of the dinners?”

 

I paused, looking around the table of four other curious girls.

 

“I’m not quite sure what you mean?” I said as I adjusted my seat and dress.

 

The girl to the left of me responded once more, “Well, one would think how important you are to the Royal Family, that you’d been present to all the dinners.”

 

I smiled, “Well, I can’t possibly attend all the events when I work-”

 

I cut myself off when I realized I had made a grave error. I nervously looked around at the table of girls who leaned in.

 

“You work?” The girl to my right responded, “What do you mean, work?”
 

The fabulously dressed girls all leaned in further, one I recognized to be the winner of the archery sport at the Fete, the Baron’s daughter who I came to find out was Eungyo.

 

Eungyo who was the first one who spoke to me scooted her chair closer, “Miss Kaira, we all know your connection to this family.”

 

“I suppose it’s the worst kept secret.” I thought out loud.

 

“Miss Eujin,” The girl on my left introduced herself, “Daughter of Baron Maeeun of the Min Family. Pleasure to finally meet you. I heard you met my brother yesterday night. Minseok?”

 

I felt my mouth part, “His Honorable Minseok?”

 

It was Baekhyun’s friend who I had the pleasure of entertaining. I tried my best to remember most of last night but all I could think about was breathless kisses in the carriage ride back home.

 

Miss Eujin grinned and her cat like eyes glimmered, “We were wondering how it would be possible to get to know the Princes’ closer.”

 

I looked around to find the girls continue their long stare at me. They all looked remarkably similar to each other, like cats of various forms.

 

“Are you all sisters?” I carefully asked.

 

Eujin and Eungyo shared a laugh and the other two shook their heads.

 

“Cousins,” Eungyo clarified, “But the Min trait is strong within our blood line.”

 

Eujin looked around carefully before she slipped the bit of information, “I would like for you to know that we all completely have an admiration for you but it’s not something that could be shared out loud under the Jol Family. Our father has a shared alliance with him and we are all merely guest to witness the hopes of a union. However…”

 

Eungyo took over, “We are all quite smitten with the youngest.”

 

I blinked rapidly, “Prince Sehun?”

 

They all held their breath as Eungyo shared her small prized moment with Prince Sehun, “Prince Sehun wasn’t really attentive in the conversation. After my brother told us this morning of his true character, I suppose it would be nice to hear what he’s really like.”

 

“And Prince Jongin too,” Eujin piped up.

 

I found myself surrounded by girls who looked hopelessly romantized by the thought of being courted by a Prince. They seem in no way threatening or at all like the girls who I shared my schooling with. So I did my best to let them know of their true character.

 

Prince Sehun was bold cheeky and loved a good laugh. Prince Jongin was one to keep to himself but was truly one who always had a surprise up his sleeve.

 

The girls listen intently as I explained who they were and even some childhood stories that I recalled. There wasn’t many but I suppose any telling of toddlers was enough to melt the heart of any girl. I found it was easy to share my advice when they looked so earnest in their interests. I could imagine how improbable it was for them being on the lower status of Royalty when it seemed like the entire month-long festivities were catered towards the Jol Family.

 

Right after I emphasize to just be themselves, Lord Kyungsoo appeared at my side clearing his throat.

 

He held out his hand and asked for a dance. I was deep into my conversation with my table that I hadn’t realized that the dance floor had been opened and there was music swelling beautifully throughout the place. I scanned over to the dance floor only to see that all five of the Princes’ were taking a dance and my heart dropped to see Prince Baekhyun with Duchess Binna.

 

I took hold of Lord Kyungsoo’s hand and was led to the dance floor. We both bowed at each other before taking hold into an uplifting waltz.

 

I kept my eyes on Prince Baekhyun who had a large scowl on his face. It was the only comfort I had as I was spun around the floor.

 

“Do not fret. Miss Kaira,” Lord Kyungsoo assured, “I heard through the gossip spreading around that he’d love to steal a dance from you.”

 

I tore my sights off of Prince Baekhyun to my partner. Lord Kyungsoo focused on nothing in particular in front of him. He was every bit of a well-educated gentleman down to the way he properly held me.

 

It was a stark contrast to the way Baekhyun held me yesterday.

 

I couldn’t imagine displaying that kind of touch in front of everyone.

 

“I don’t trust the word of gossip,” I said through gritted teeth, “People love to speculate.”

 

The bounce of the waltz continued, and Lord Kyungsoo expertly led me away from any bump ins of other partners. Even my brother was dancing, although it looked like he was in pain judging by the way his face would twist every so often.

 

There was a long pause of silence as we continued dancing. I had a sudden question pop in my head.

 

“My lord,” I began, “What do you know of the Min Family? I thought they were from Silla but as I have recently discovered I am unaware of familiar origins.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo tilted his head up to recall, “I believe they are a family within this Kingdom that borders Silla.”

 

“Ah,” I began, “I was under the impression that all the guests were from Silla.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo shook his head, “I suppose the Jol Family invited them as a political move.”

 

I took a moment to think.

 

“Why would it matter to the Jol family to invite someone already in our Kingdom…” I trailed off, already feeling my mind reeling in millions of thoughts.

 

“What other way but to secure a match than with the support of the border families?” Lord Kyungsoo shrugged. There was a light bulb that went off in my head. I saw Prince Baekhyun’s warm brown eyes when I looked over Lord Kyungsoo’s shoulders.

 

There was something that intrigued me and I was determined to find out what it was.

 

 

I returned to my table three songs later to rejoin the Min Cousins. They were not too happy that their interests were taken out to a dance however, I encouraged them to go and mingle. Two of the cousins took the advice and left to explore a way to causally bump into their Prince. Eungyo stayed behind hesitating to make her move.

 

“I thought you were determined to win over Prince Sehun with all your questions,” I pointed out. Her scowl was apparent as she fiddled with the hem of her sleeves.

 

“Truthfully, I wish I could if it wasn't for my father. He said I shouldn’t have won at the Fete,” She sighed, “He is in the strong belief that I should have forfeited my win and handed it over to someone else. If I’m completely honest, I think I could have had a pleasant time with Prince Sehun after what you told me but I’m not exactly allowed to get in the way of any match making.”

 

I cocked my head curiously, “Why is that?”

 

Miss Eungyo huffed in annoyance, “Isn’t it obvious that the Jol Family is striving for any connection to our Kingdom?”

 

I shrugged, “Excuse my ignorance. I’ll admit I don’t know much about the Jol family other than the Duchesses. They weren’t too kind to me at finishing school.”

 

Miss Eungyo moved around in her chair uncomfortably. She looked around to see if there was anyone close enough to hear her before she divulge in her secrets, “It is something I know too well. My father frequently entertained the Archduke Jol and his family at our country home. It was always a nightmare to have the Duchesses boss us around but it was never as bad as when we were invited to their palace.”

 

“I can only guess that The Duchesses were equally as welcoming,” I quietly assumed, based on my experiences interacting with them.

 

Miss Eungyo shivered at a memory, “They’re horrid.”

 

I shrugged, “They weren’t the kindest to me at school. Fortunately, it wasn’t for too long.”

 

The girl twisted her neck side to side, pressing her lips together as she struggled with her following words.

 

“Well we had to spend most of the Harvest Holidays with them,” She cringed, “I can’t even begin to tell you how awful it was for all of us, Eujin, Eunseo, and Eunna too.”

 

I cocked my head, “Well you certainly don’t have to share. I can just imagine, if I’m honest.”

 

Eungyo leaned in looking around once more before she whispered over to me, “One year, Lady Binna took me into their royal menagerie and locked me in there.”

 

I stayed silent as I watched her recall something truly horrifying that replayed in her memories.

 

“I was stuck in there for an entire hour before the guards were alerted of my absence.” She sent a well deserving glare at the Duchess who was filled with glee dancing with Prince Baekhyun. They had bow at each other and Baekhyun briskly walked away.

 

“Rotten of her,” I sighed out, “It must have been a terribly long hour in the menagerie. Perhaps, you found a bit of entertainment with their animals?"

 

Miss Eungyo gave me a long look. She truly looked confused as to why I hadn’t registered the true horrors of her experience.

 

“Miss Kaira,” She slowly said, “The Jol Family has a private menagerie. It houses some of the finest tigers in the entire land, didn’t you know?”

 

There was an unsettling feeling in me that I was starting to see a bigger picture at hand, and I couldn’t quite make what I was looking at. Prince Baekhyun paused at the door for a moment and it was if there world had stopped spinning for a moment.

 

There was something definitely wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well I figured it was about time to get the plot rolling. Hahah