twentytwo

Reverie

twentytwo

 

Mother and Father had returned home unexpectedly. My greatest fear was that they were being held hostage at the palace yet they both had strolled in unscathed, seemingly exhausted, but intact. I rushed down the stairs, hurriedly approaching them in a near state of panic. They looked tired and drained but in a decent mood and I was confused.

 

“Is everything okay?” I nearly shouted out. Mother didn't respond as fast as I would have liked her to. She opted to look past my shoulder to observe Baekhyun who was slowly descending from the stairs to greet my parents. She nodded and sighed.

 

“The Queen asked me to come in to fetch your father this morning,” She gave him a weary look, “The travels he went through was perhaps too much when he joined Prince Baekhyun’s in his sudden return. He fell ill the moment he arrived at the palace. I was hesitant to steal Madam Min from you but I was made aware of your state.”

 

She reached over to me and touched my forehead gently, “How are you feeling now?”

 

I shook my head, feeling Baekhyun’s body reach my side, “I feel better. Rested.”

 

“That’s a relief." Father joined in with a pause, "Word reached the palace of your illness, Kaira.”

 

Father gave Baekhyun a pale disgruntled look, “Speculation has been growing and it’s something your mother, The Queen, is interested in hearing, Your Highness.”

 

“Please, no need for formalities. Baekhyun is fine,” He softly suggested, meek in his voice. We had spent the last hours laying in bed in a quiet embrace, just resting from bad dreams and a restless trip. “What is she wondering about?”

 

“Well first the curiosity is why you rushed home upon hearing the slightest negative news on Kaira,” He gave him a stern look, “And why after over a month of your stay at the Jol Family Residence, you still have not been married off…”

 

Baekhyun gulped and glanced his round eyes down at me.

 

“The political propositions are terribly misaligned,” Baekhyun cocked his head, “Doesn’t she know that? I have been writing letters informing her of the state of the negotiations. The reduction of tax on imports and their propositions of military alliance will place an unfair heavy burden on our kingdom. It is a ludicrous marriage offer.”

 

I had almost forgotten that Baekhyun had still feigning to be an interest to the Duchess Ara. Father groaned out, “Then it is something I shall bring up tomorrow.”

 

“What’s tomorrow,” I asked.

 

Father sighed and gave me a long look, “The Queen longs to inquire about my snooping. So I shall return tomorrow.”

 

“I’ll go with you.” I offered, taking him by the hand as he shook his head.

 

“It is better you rest,” Baekhyun place his hand on my shoulder.

 

“No,” I sternly answered, “If anything goes wrong-”

 

“I shall be there to observe,” Baekhyun assured, “No Royal Inquiry is a private affair. I will be sure to step in in defense of your father shall anything occur.”

 

Jongdae rounded the corner, well dressed and almost angelic looking fresh from a bath, leaning against the stair banister to cross his arms, “We have Prince Junmyeon’s word as well. There is nothing to worry about dear sister. After a terrible past few weeks, the last thing you should be sticking your nose into is this.

 

I made my opinion well known by rolling my eyes up. Had I not been the sole reason why any of this was happening? I intended to make sure I was invovled as well in order to righfully defend my family and I voiced my fair concerns to my brother, to which he dismissed.

 

He let out a long wistful sigh, “I don’t see why you’re so apprehensive about it sister. After all, it is only a matter of time before we are revealed to be the terrible scheming family that we are. It is, after all, not so far from the truth.”

 

Baekhyun let out a laugh, snaking an arm around me to bring me close.

 

“If you don’t mind me,” Jongdae raised his brows, bowing his head to our parents, “I’m off to the palace. There is someone who has been quite helpful in our investigation that is in great need of... thanking.”

 

Baekhyun smirked, “If you are not aware, I’ve heard from my brother that Jongdae managed to weasel his way into the heart of one of our servants.”

 

Jongdae winked, “And I plan to make her aware of my intentions. Mother. Father.”

 

Mother stepped aside to allow way for Jongdae to head straight for the door.

 

Before he left, he turned back around with a mischievous look on his face, “Please don’t expect me back tonight. Your Highness, I’ll let your brother know that you will need a carriage to pick you up.”

 

“Midnight please,” Baekhyun smiled down at me.

 

“Yes, of course Cinderella,” Jongdae smirked, “Whatever you like.”

 

And with that Jongdae was gone.

 

Mother and Father rolled their eyes up and headed to the dining room. We overheard mother muttering under her breath that our own servants, although trusting, would eventually let it slip that Prince Baekhyun was here.

 

I looked up at Baekhyun in worry and he gently smiled at me.

 

He cupped my face with his warm hands and kissed the top of my forehead.

 

“Nevermind your servants,” Baekhyun sighed, “I take it upon myself to tell my family. And if it worries you so much, I could have your family and us relocated if that’s the concern that has been making you sick.”

 

I rolled my head back to get a better view of the prince that has stolen my peace and my heart. I gave him a weak smile and asked for the time.

 

“It is late in the afternoon,” He sighed out, “Shall I ask your staff to make you something to eat? You look terribly thin.”

 

I nudged him lightly and walked back up the stairs to rest in my chambers. We spent the large part of our limited time together doing nothing special in particular. Baekhyun spent a great deal trying to get me to eat, while I begged him to read a few books from my small collection. He obviously skipped over my most treasured book, given to me by his brother, and picked a small book of poetry that I had.

 

He flipped through it and gave me a surprising look.

 

“Is this where you know those poems you recited at Junmyeon’s tea ceremony?” He asked with a single brow raised, “Some of these are quite… risqué.”

 

I blinked at him, “Well I’ve had to edit them for a more palatable audience. I wouldn’t want to shock the sensitive ears of the royals.”

 

Baekhyun dragged his eyes away from the book back to me, smirking as I shrunk back into the chair of my vanity. I knew that his upbringing was possibly not the best thing to comment on.

 

“If I would have known earlier what was in that brain of yours Kaira,” He paced over to me and kneeled at my feet, “I think I wouldn’t have been so patient.”

 

I gulped feeling my cheeks flare up in red. Right at that very moment, one of our servants knocked and allowed herself in, yelping at the sight of Baekhyun, a Prince, kneeling right at my feet. Baekhyun had rested his arm on my lap as he continued to thumb through the pages of the book. Seeing him in such a lowly position must have put her into a state of shock. She very stiffly walked in and seemingly forgot her manners at the door. It was something that didn't go unnoticed by Baekhyun. He let out a small dry chuckled upon seeing the nervous look on our servant's face. I shook off Baekhyun and approached our servant to offer some help.

 

I took the tray out of her hands, allowing her to place the tea and treats onto my tea table with ease. I thanked her profusely.

 

“Miss…” She trailed off, looking nervously at Baekhyun who began to rise to his feet, curious as to what was brought in. I gave her one nod, showing her that I understood her apprehension.

 

“Your word.” I whispered to her, “I promise you won’t have to keep it for long.”

 

Her wide eyes were still for a long stretch, but she bowed her head promising her silence. I gave her a small hug before she shuffled out and I turned back to Baekhyun.

 

“This should be enough until you need to go,” I blinked eyeing the small course of treats and sandwiches that were made for us. It was indeed a late snack but after my meager pickings at food, I could hear that Baekhyun’s stomach had been withholding from indulging himself as he monitored me.

 

Baekhyun who hadn’t seen most of the interaction and preoccupied himself with the poetry book, looked up and frowned.

 

“What do you mean?” He cocked his head.

 

“It must be close to midnight soon.” I glanced at the clock sitting at my vanity. It was enough to have Baekhyun huff in annoyance.

 

“Are you chasing me off?” He asked, feigning a hint of hurt in his voice.

 

“Not at all,” I blinked haughtily, “I am merely pointing out the time that we should be wary of.”

 

“I could leave now if you’re more concern for the time than with me,” He closed my book with one hand, taking note of my aloof like answer. He doubled down on his own aloofness and stuck his nose in the air.

 

I stuck my nose a tab bit higher.

 

“I’m not concerned at all, Your Highness, not for both of the things you mentioned,” I almost felt a smile crack, “But if you suggest leaving then perhaps it’s not such a bad idea.”

 

Baekhyun’s mouth was agape, trying his best not to crack first. He inhaled and gave a curt nod.

 

“Very well then.” He cleared his throat, “Miss Kaira.”

 

“Prince Baekhyun,” I bowed my head as he took a few steps towards the door. I watched him carefully as he slowed down. I pretended to poke around at the treats before I sat down to enjoy the tea that made been made.

 

Baekhyun stopped at my door and looked over his shoulder.

 

“Are you not going to ask me to stay a bit longer?” He mused, interested in my answer.

 

I shrugged, “It is late, I’m sure the Queen will be wondering where you are and would be please to have you back earlier than anticipated.”

 

Baekhyun his lips and closed the doors back up to reapproach me. In one swift move, he had picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. He playfully tossed me back into bed, crawling over me to quickly attack my neck in small nibbles and kisses. I squirmed around at his touch, letting myself enjoy the moment of happiness that penetrated the wall of dread that had been building over the past few weeks.

 

“Stop,” I pleaded, “I’m ticklish!”

 

Baekhyun did refrain for a bit but not without scolding, “You dare send me off so casually. Do I mean so little to my wife? Your Highness? Prince?”

 

My heart swelled as I felt myself melting in his gaze. He seemed lightly insulted but more entertained than I imagined he had been in the past weeks. I reveled in the fact that I gave him even an ounce of happiness.

 

“What?” He questioned as he took noticed how suddenly pliable I became. My hand reached up to comb my fingers through his hair. “You change at a whim, Kaira. First, you’re playful and now I find you soft. Let me know why.”

 

I gulped, “If I could afford to tell you all my secrets then you wouldn’t leave me alone.”

 

“You’re keeping things from your own husband?” He softly gasped. In a swift movement, he snuck his arm under me, and rolled me over to lay on top of him. He looked proud at himself until I began to peel myself away from him. He panicked and wrapped his arms around me, gentle but firm, as to not let me go.

 

“We are in a percarious state,” I grumbled, “Can you not feel it? Our servants now know... your mother probably is going to murder you when she finds out, too.”

 

“I can feel you,” He cheekily said, as his sneaky hands found themselves roaming around.

 

“I think I can hear your carriage pulling up at our front-” I warned him, suddenly feeling flush when he found a way to silence me. He kissed me. It had been such a long time since I felt his eager warm lips on mine and I felt like melted wax, molding to his every touch.

 

“Please don’t deny me,” He murmured, “I’ve waited this long for my wife.”

 

I felt the familiar tightening of my legs when he said wife. Instinct took over. My chest swelled against his and he smirked at my reaction. He softly tsked into our kiss that I was begging he deepened.

 

“Is that it?” He mused, blinking rapidly at his realization, “My wife. Is that all I need to say?”

 

I inwardly groaned, “Baekhyun…”

 

I stopped, feeling stupid that I had made it so obvious and that he now had that power over me.

 

“You know,” Baekhyun stopped for a moment to place his hands behind his head, to really admire me. I was free from his arms yet I didn’t feel like coming off from him. I laid there waiting to hear what he had to say.

 

“If you think it’s unfair that you think I have some sort of spell over you,” He trailed off looking at me, “Imagine what it felt like for me chasing you all these years.”

 

I blinked rapidly. Could he really compare the flare of desire over a title that I was his to his years of chasing me around?

 

“Every time I’d see you this year, I pined to be right at your side. I felt it stronger than my feelings when we were younger.” He pouted and a smile pulled at the corner of my mouth. “I would drive myself mad at night if I let myself yearn for you freely. Imagining all the possibilities.”

 

“Like?” I cocked my head.

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes in thought, and I took the moment to place a gentle kiss on his lips. His eyes remained closed as he tried his best to remain focused. He tried to piece sentences over and over but it seemed impossible when he was interrupted with a kiss.

 

And another kiss.

 

He audibly gulped as I began to work my way down to lightly nibble his ear and kiss his neck. He let a violent shiver ripple through his body and he gave me a warning look.

 

“Don’t start what you don’t intend to finish, Kaira,” He playfully said, “Must I remind you that I was without you for many weeks and my carriage is waiting outside like you mentioned if you intend to be cruel-”

 

My hand reached down to feel his hardened length and he twitched with the touch. He nearly hissed out a few lewd curses. His face flushed and beautiful with the flood of want. It took a few breaths before he became more controlled and gave me a long look.

 

I raised my brow.

 

“After I’m through with you,” He huffed, “I’ll let them know I’ll be returning in the morning.”

Baekhyun left at the time intended.

 

Although, he did his best to shove his messy hair into his wig, the looked a bit disheveled as I was glued to the window to watch him leave. Before he mounted himself into the carriage, he looked up at my window and waved a final goodbye for the night.

 

Although it took a few moments of saying goodbye, we finally detached from each other after coming down from the highest of highs to think clearly.

 

Even after the carriage was long gone, I hung by my window, placing my forehead on the cool glass. I felt my heart beat life into every inch of me. The rush of happiness faded into a soft bzz of bliss and for the first time in a very long time, I dragged myself to bed and laid myself into a comforting sleep.

 

No tigers at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There. A bit more Kaira/Baekhyun. I know a reader was curious if there were going to be any M rated chapters and the truth is that I don't think I'm that great at writing more mature scenes. Hopefully one day I can get there but for now this is all I have. Maybe I'll be daring at do it for my Kai/Jongin story.

 

Read here:
Diaphanous

 

Anyways thank you for your warm welcome back. I was nervous that I waited too long and might have lost some interest in the story but it was nice to see every one of my regular readers back in the comments. 

 

I LOVE YOU ALL.