twelve

Reverie

twelve

 

 

I had a brisk run to Madam Min’s to pick up a special blend of tea for Prince Junmyeon. In my rush, I knocked over a small vat of Madam Min’s oils. I was lucky it wasn’t so hot but the smell of lavender and oranges thickened in the air as I profusely apologized to Madam Min. She shooed me away nagging me to be more careful around hot oils.

 

After another an emergency visit from Lay, I found myself in a carriage with my brother dressed as traditional as Lay would allow me. He stressed he had no time for any style that's been done before. This time he created a simple standard Hanbok but with that same translucent fabric in the most wonderful shade of green. I was topped off with a small headdress and a ribbon tied to my thick braid. My brother was finally getting used to the eye-catching fashion so much so he mentioned that I didn’t look as ugly as I did before.

 

I kicked his shin.

 

He slipped out a few inappropriate words as he rubbed his knee.

 

“Have you thought what ceremony you’re going to perform?” He asked, “He's fond of any taste that is bold. You know it will be done in his Chamber, right?”

 

I shook my head, “I thought all Royal affairs were held in the pavilions.”

 

My brother smiled and rolled her eyes, “Well it's a private affair after all. Only his brothers and a few friends in attendance.”

 

I chewed on my lip, “I see.”
 

“Also, for tomorrow’s Honoring,” Jongdae sighed, “There are a few men that visited this past week and requested for a bit of your time, so I’ve a schedule for you follow so you give them an adequate amount of time each.”

 

Annoyed, I wanted to snap at him and say no, but I was in no position to be picky. Afterall, shouldn’t I be grateful that I had any prospects at all? To have a few to entertain was another gift.

 

If only, it was possible just to entertain one particular man…

 

I gritted my teeth, pushing back the thought of Prince Baekhyun and tried not to think of the fact that he will be present at the tea ceremony. Even if we had agreed on a friendship, it was undeniable that it took an extrodinary amount of effort this week to not think of him, and I still failed a couple of times.

 

When we arrived at the Palace, I was escorted to the kitchens where I was directed to use only their finest.

 

I set up a beautiful tea set made of fine bone China. The set was two toned, a muted white with the accent color of powered blue. The delicate of gold paint reflected its priceless beauty. It was its delicate craftmanship that truly made me fall in love with the beauty of a tea set, like the royals owned.

 

I had a servant appointed to me, Chaewon, to help me transport the things I needed for the short walk to the Crowned Prince’s Chamber. As we neared, I could hear the joyous laughter bouncing off the walls of his room lavish and large room. Even the flicker of a lantern, casting shadows on the windows, made his room magestically glow in the night.

 

Once at the door, Chaewon handed me the tray with the tea set. With her hands free, Chaewon slide the door open for me as I was revealed and announced to the small group of guests in Prince Junmyeon’s Chamber. They all were seated on the floor around a large table.

 

Prince Junmyeon, who had been at the head of the table, saw me first. He stood up and greeted my entrance. There were nine other bodies in his large chamber gathered at the center. His royal bed was tucked away on one side of the room with a small library mirroring it on the other side.

 

All his brothers were in attendance along with a friend of their choosing. It took all of my might to not look into Baekhyun’s direction. His unsure expression clued me in that he was not completely happy on how we left off the last time we met. At least we shared our greived feelings

 

I didn’t want to be tricked into glancing at him for once second and becoming hypnotized by his begging eyes dying for a bit of attention.

 

I shuffled in, having Chaewon follow me in carrying to hot pot of water. Jongdae cleared his throat loudly when he noticed the gem that I had brought along. My usual uptight brother was now sporting a shade of pink on his cheeks as he sat up straighter suddenly. I allowed myself an inner praise for surprising my brother with her company. Jongdae watched her intently as we both bowed at Prince Junmyeon.

 

Prince Junmyeon stood up, allowing me to take place at the head of the table as he squeezed to sit next to me.

 

I inhaled, bowing my head once more before I delicately peeled off the silk that was placed of the beautiful China set. There were six cups to tend to.

 

“I hope you don’t mind if I perform twice, Your Highness. I wasn’t aware of how many guest you would have in attendance.” I glanced at Prince Junmyeon who was eagerly waiting to be spoken to. He shook his head.

 

“Not at all,” He sat up straighter, “What will you be making today?”

 

My hand floated over to the small bowl where I had placed the leaves earlier. I carefully uncovered it, placing the dainty lid to the side. I handed the bowl to Junmyeon and asked him to smell the leaves.

 

“There is a slight acidic smell to it,” I informed, “These oolong tea leaves have been fermented for about 20 years for a richer taste. It also gives your head a bit of a buzz with a sweet after taste.”

 

Junmyeon nodded in approval as he handed the bowl back to me. Prince Baekhyun, who couldn’t stand not being addressed, cleared his throat, “Can I smell?”

 

I flinched slightly at his voice and caught his stare. I didn’t want to acknowledge that Prince Baekhyun was also sitting beside me to my left. I suppose he was easy to avoid when the reason for my appearance was because I was requested to be honor his brother.

 

Baekhyun gulped and I made the mistake of glancing down at his lips, which mouthed the word, please.

 

It was hard not to look at his warm honey eyes and say no. He looked tentative as he made his request. I gave a simple nod and handed him the bowl with two hands. I waited patiently as Baekhyun also dipped his head down to smell the scent of the leaves.

 

“Is it infused with oranges?” He asked in confusion. I paused for a moment when I realized the source of the scent he was speaking about. I felt my cheeks reddened as I took the bowl back.

 

“That is not the tea, brother,” The Second Prince, Chanyeol, spoke up, “That is the scent of a beautiful flower that blossomed in our company.”

 

I cleared my throat and explained as Baekhyun whirled back to me and subtly leaned in to inhale the air around me.

 

“I knocked over a vat of oils at Madam Min’s Apothecary,” I cleared my throat, “I had hoped that it wasn't too strong of a scent. I tried to wash away the spots of oil with a cloth but I suppose my attempts were futile.”

 

Before the men were able to comment any further, I began the ceremony. I picked out the best leaves to place in the tea pot, quietly reciting quiet lines of thanks and gratitude for Prince Junmyeon. I hummed out a simple honest praise that seemed to satisfy him. His grin was as wide as the sky.

 

"Your sister has a way with words, Jongdae," Prince Chanyeol nodded appreciatively.

 

I carefully took the hot pot that Chaewon handed me, pouring the water in a small basin. From there, I poured the basin water into all six cups, heating the cup to the best temperature.

 

I glanced up at Prince Chanyeol with a toying smile, "They say that the first born is the most cherish of children, but I personally believe that an artist needs a rough draft before they create perfection."

 

Junmyeon let out a laugh, clapping at the bold words that left my mouth. Prince Chanyeol seemed to enjoy the small bit of praise thrown his way. That was until Prince Sehun took it away from him.

 

"Brother," He snorted, "As the youngest, it is certain that she is speaking of me."

 

They boys all lightly argued amongst themsleves as I poured the remaining basin water into the teapot with the chosen leaves. The water from the cups was discarded soon after as we waited to have the tea leaves seep.

 

I patted the warm cups dry whispering a desire that Prince Junmyeon will find the warmth of the cup to his liking. The boys arguing settled down when a question was brought up that made nearly all the faces of the guests burst from giddiness.

 

"Which out of all of us is your favorite Prince?" Prince Jongin boldly asked. Before I was able to react, Prince Jongin had already addressed the elephant in the room, "We know your real pick is Baekhyun but we just want to hear who you will pick to cover up."

 

Jongdae groaned out in annoyance. 

 

I glanced at Baekhyun for a moment before giving a simple shrug as a response, "Then I suppose I'll stick to what I know and I'll pick Baekhyun."

 

Prince Sehun, who was farther down the table, blinked rapidly in shock, "I was hoping she would pick me."

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat trying to avoid this topic being brought up at a tea ceremony, "We are good friends after all, who did you expect she would pick?"

 

“Me, of course," Prince Jungmyeon flashed a forced smile at Baekhyun who immediately scowled, "Kaira, will you tell poem you learned at school? I remembered all the times I would read to you when we were younger. Would you return the favor to your oldest friend?”

 

My brother Jongdae let out a small laugh, “The only thing my sister learned at school was how to be unpleasant.”

 

“A family trait, I am certain, that is hard to stamp out,” I gave my brother a curt smile.

 

“I can’t see how Kaira would ever struggle with pleasantries,” Prince Junmyeon shook his head, “She is the best conversationalist I've ever come across of. You were at school for far longer than most girls. Is there anything you, perhaps, wish to confess?”

 

I gulped and looked around at the curious stares, “Confess? Learning manners wasn’t much of a challenge. I wasn’t sure why I was being kept there for so long-”

 

I glanced at Prince Baekhyun, assuring him that I wasn’t going to reveal that his mother might have used my schooling as an imprisonment.

 

“-but to occupy my time there. I spent my days studying a few subjects.” I admitted, “As you may know the mastery of tea ceremonies is one… I also read the word of politics and philosophy and, of course, poems.”

 

Prince Junmyeon leaned forward in interest, “Politics? I dare to pick your mind one day.”

 

Prince Baekhyun cleared his throat obnoxiously. He glanced around helplessly looking for a distraction. My brother seemed to agree and encouraged the recital.

 

“Go on,” Jongdae mused, “Any poem, will do.”

 

I flashed him a glare before closing my eyes to recite a wonderful poem that Madam Min always performed for her own children:

 

Tea is the flower of Soo. The budding leaves
Fill with their murmur every fragrant garden.
Here, while my golden kettle gently sings,

I brew your gift and slowly sip,
While perfumed steam ascends.
On such a cloud a poet's spirit soars.

Surely my soul will touch the clouded heights
And come again with sweet immortal songs…

 

“Lovely,” Prince Junmyeon nodded.

 

Prince Sehun crossed his arms in thought, “Indeed, I hope that we get a different poem recited to us when it’s our turn.”

 

Prince Jongin grinned, “Perhaps one of a sensual nature.”

 

The men all chided the cheeky Prince Jongin, especially Baekhyun who reached over a friend of his to smack his brother behind the head. I hid my smirk.

 

I began to pour their teas, first to myself, as it was a ritual to taste the brew before serving. A quick sip and I felt the strength of the tea. I nodded and set my cup aside, pouring a cup to my brother first, then to Prince Baekhyun’s friend.

 

When I handed over Baekhyun’s cup, I felt the graze of his fingertips graze over my own skin. I gulped and quickly turned to Prince Chanyeol and handed him his cup next. Prince Junmyeon was last as I served only the best of the tea, the golden drops of the heaviest and richest portion of the brew. I humbly handed his tea before I picked my own. I lifted my cup up in gratitude before holding the bottom of the cup gently to tip the cup into my mouth.

 

I immediately recognized that perhaps the tea was made too strong and I feared that I would still need to perform this ceremony once more.

 

Prince Chanyeol fanned his face, “Well you were not wrong on the dizziness.”

 

Prince Baekhyun turned to his friend, which I learned was Duke Minseok, and confirmed if his tea was strong too. I apologize to them realizing my mistake of making it too strong. Prince Junmyeon stopped me with a tint of red in his cheeks.

 

“Never apologize for sending my soul to such great heights,” Prince Junmyeon his lips and took another sip. I bowed and turned to Chaewon.

 

“Can you prepare another tea set, please?” I asked, now realizing I hadn’t expected to be serving more. She nodded, also suggesting more hot water. I agreed and watched her leave. My brother was just as interested in her absence as Baekhyun was with nudging his knee with mine to get my attention. He tried his best not to look obvious, but the quick glances he would send my way would break him into a hesitant smile. Unfortunately for him, his brothers were demanding my attention already and I stood up to tend to the other waiting men.

 

Chaewon was prompt and fetched all that I needed once more. I performed the tea ceremony with another poem and dedication for the two remaining princes and the three other new faces.

 

The tea was as strong as before and I felt a slight flushness to my cheeks having to drink two portions of it.

 

“Is there going to be a special announcement at your honoring tomorrow?” Prince Chanyeol asked his brother, sipping on his second cup, "Perhaps another round of tavels to escape this dreaded pool of prospects our mother conjured."

 

Prince Junmyeon smirked, “Well you must attend if you wish to know. By the way, will you be joining tomorrow, Miss Kaira? Jongdae mentioned to us that you only agree on two appearances with your mother. Is that correct?”

 

Slow to react to my name, I hadn’t realized I was focusing on Prince Baekhyun and the way his hands held the cup so regally. His beautiful hands and the way he would close his eyes to fully taste the tea, caught me off guard as the attention was on me... watching the Third Prince with no shame.

 

I snapped out of it quickly, “Pardon me?”

 

My brother jumped in to answer for me, “She will be. I have a few suitors that are really looking forward to her company.”

 

The table hushed down to an uncomfortable silence as they turned their heads at me.

 

“A suitor?” Prince Junmyeon exclaimed.

 

“Baekhyun,” Prince Sehun called out, “Brother you didn’t mention your wish of escorting Miss Kaira for tomorrow's event.”

 

I avoided Baekhyun’s disgruntled face as he took the teasing laughter pointed at him.

 

I cleared my throat, “My mother placed Jongdae as my overseer. I must admit I’m not looking forward to it considering my brother has a peculiar idea of marriage.”
 

“Not as peculiar as yours.” My brother pointed out.

 

“What’s peculiar about it,” Prince Baekhyun asked his self-indulged question casually.

 

I glanced at my brother, “He will be considering his own taste over mine.”

 

“Excuse my sister,” Jongdae held his hands up as a form of apology, “She’s quite the modern woman. She doesn’t really consider the societal aspect of a union and tends to lead with her heart. Her selfish and stubborn heart.”

 

“What use is a man to me if I am able to provide for myself?” I pointed out, “I have the wits to overcome trials for my own without the aid of a man.”

 

Prince Junmyeon blinked back his befuddled expression, “Then how will a man be able to please such incredible expectations you serve?”

 

“Love,” I said simply, “The purest, most honest, and passionate kind.”

 

Prince Chanyeol turned to my brother and agreed, “Peculiar but respectfully honest.”

 

He lifted his teacup and toasted to the proposition that his younger brothers could find a suitable match this month. A love match.

 

“One with all the expectations one ought to have in a partner but overall,” Prince Chanyeol paused, “Love.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Does Kaira know any salacious poems?" Prince Jongin dared to ask once more, earning a well deserved smack from Prince Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I recently found out I deleted the next chapter because I'm a stupid writer who likes to make life challenging for herself!  Anyways I might have add a tag of angst because it's not purely fluff is it. Anyways once I get this next chapter rewritten I hope it will be super fluffy enough to fill you with fuzzy feelings and happiness! ^^

 

 

(you will need it to survive the rest)