six

Reverie

six

 

 

Three days later, I found myself being bathed in steaming hot water, scrubbed down to my bare bones, and having my hair pulled and hot pressed as Lay he came that morning to over see my transformation. He insisted on the tiniest details that reflected his work. He worked on scrubbing the groves of my nails and even showed me a pair of earrings that looked like glistening water droplets in the summer morning. He insisted on having my hair loose when my mother came in with a tray of tea and cookies to tempt Lay away from his work for a bit. She stood there in surprise that my hair hadn't been twisted up into the fashionable updos that nearly every women donned.

 

“It’s all the rage in the west,” He assured, “Women have a simple updo and this…”

 

He pulled out a thin beaded hairband. He fitted on to the crown of my head and took a step back. My mother gave a single nod of approval.

 

“It almost looks like a crown.” She whispered to Lay, to which he responded with a smirk.

 

“It is a Royal function after all.” He nodded, "If our Kaira can't be a Royal, then I'm certainly not going to let her attend without looking like one."

 

I sat at my vanity, looking at myself through the looking glass. I delicately touched my hair in awe of the new style. I’ve never really seen my hair other than straight or in a braid. The waves looked elegant and pretty but I wasn't sure if it suited me.

 

“Are you sure?” I asked, “I know everyone will have their hair up, I don't want to stand out too much."

 

"You were not meant to blend in," Lay wagged his fingers, giving into the temptation of the black sesame cookies my mother had made. He stood back and analyzed his work so far. He looked pleased.

 

"And about the color of the dress, are you sure it won’t be too dark or heavy?” I hesitated for a moment, "Everyone will be in reds or blues..."

 

Lay waved my concerns off, yet again. He finished his cookie crossed over to my wardrobe where a large garment bag was hanging. My mother stood behind me as we watch Lay take out the same beautiful fabric that was layered and full of volume. He pulled out another thin dark blue fabric and that was it. It was then when I realized that I was looking at a chemise with strings for shoulders. I blinked as he explained each piece that made up the ensemble.

 

He had his own worker help me dress in the first layer, the thin chemise, which felt like I was . Then the skirt was slipped over my arms and tied in the most unusual way, and then when the Jeogori was on, I understood why Lay wasn’t worried about it looking too dark or too heavy.

 

The fabric nearly floated and because of its thin nature, I could see the outline of my arms through the fabric, revealing a scandalous hint of skin.

 

My mother bit her lip nervously, “It is truly exquisite but is it too much?”

 

Lay smiled approaching me with a set of silver beaded shoes, “She looks like a dream.”

 

He bent over and slipped them on for me, looking proud at his creation coming together. His excitement was started to become infectious which was promptly ruined by the appearance of my brother, who called to inform me that our carriage was ready and waiting for us.

 

“What are you wearing?” He exclaimed.

 

“The latest fashion fusion,” Lay announced pinning the special earrings he had shown me earlier onto my ears, “Fabrics imported from China.”

 

Jongdae’s eyes grew as wide as saucers, “You look like a puff of smoke. This won’t do at all! Mother!

 

I sighed at my brother and took my pouch with my personal items with me.

 

“Well it’s too late to change,” I announced, “Thank you for the wonderful dress Lay. It’s truly exquisite work.”

 

“It is an honor to dress you once again, Miss Kaira. I’ll have your day dress ready for you soon.” He bowed, “Have fun at the opening festivities.”

 

Jongdae reluctantly held out his elbow so I could link myself to him. I kissed mother on the cheek as I said goodbye. Jongdae made a comment or two about the dress and how I was going to drive him insane if I didn’t stop with my antics. I wish I could say that we rode to the palace in silence but Jongdae and I bickered all the way there. He’d say something stupid and I’ll snap back at him for worrying too much. His worry was mostly focused on the hypothetically attention he feared I would get.

 

“Well what is it then that bothers you more?” I huffed, “The fact that I will have no suitors because of my job or have the attention from men at this event?”

 

Jongdae grumbled, sinking into his seat.

 

When we arrived, a guard opened our carriage door and helped me down. I looked around in awe taking a good look of the palace that I once ran wild in. It felt like nothing had changed and at the same time everything had.

 

My brother was right at my side and as stiff as he was, he was quiet for a whole minute before he broke his vow of silence.

 

“I apologize,” He mumbled, “I know I haven’t been so welcoming since I came back, sister.”

 

“Almost hostile,” I lightly laughed, as we joined the few guest that were heading towards the Juhamnu Pavilion, which was right next to the Royal chambers if I remembered correctly. Behind the Pavilion was a secret garden, reserved for the Royals and their occasional welcomed guest. Even during our childhood stay at the Palace, Jongdae and I had never stepped foot into the Secret Garden or the Pavilion (despite our fruitless attempts).

 

I'm sure even he was curious to enter a place that had been restricted to us. Jongdae glanced at me as we followed a guard to guided us to unassuming entrance and with a certain push of an ivy filled wall, the giant doors revealed the lush of a small garden softly illumintaed with the glow of lanterns which were being lit in a hurry.

 

“I never thought…” Jongdae said, but never finished. He, too, was as impressed with the beauty of a well curated garden. It was more beautiful than the Palace garden that had impressed me when I was young. We both slowly walked, unable to focus on one thing for too long. In the middle of the lushness, was a beautiful pond filled with white lilies and sprinkled with the glow of fireflies floating gently around the water. Jongdae took a moment to look down at me.

 

“You look like a shadow,” He lightly teased, "A pretty one."

 

I nudged him, knowing it was the greatest compliment he would give for tonight. I muttered a thanks as our eyes lifted to the Pavilion that rested on top a set of stone steps.

 

“Juhamnu used to be the Royal Library,” Jongdae whispered over to me, “I could have studied here but after the King and Queen settled back in Gyeonbuk Palace, they took all of their materials for the royal scholars.”

 

I cocked my head, “When did they move?”

 

“About two years after you left,” Jongdae shrugged, we had finally rounded around the pond and stood at the mouth of the stairs, watching other pairs rise to the pavilion.

 

“The princes continued to live in their chambers here until they started their travels." Jongdae mentioned, "After that Prince Junmyeon refused to move with the King and Queen. He insisted that all the western Royals didn't live with their parents. You might be surprised that he's quite influenced by other Royal families.”

 

I nodded feeling like the air was carrying me up the illuminated green and red building.  

 

“I figured there was a reason why we were suddenly taught the waltz in my final year of finishing school,” I mumbled, recalling how strange it was to actually dance and to imagine dancing so closely with a man. 

 

Jongdae and I were nearly at the top, hearing the buzz of chatter from the guest all having exquisite conversations. Another guard stopped us and asked for our names right at the entrance of the hall. Jongdae cleared his throat.

 

“Scholar Kim Jongdae, escorting my sister.” Jongdae prompty said. There was a startling shout from the Guard.

 

Presenting Scholar Kim Jongdae, accompanying our cherished Miss Kim Kaira.” The guard announced.

 

It was followed by a low hush and curious eyes. The nerves that had been bubbling inside me caught hold of my chest as Jongdae lead me inside the pavilion where hundreds of people gathered around the perimeters of the walls, leaving the center open for the declaration of guests. The five Royal princes sat at a head table watching the arrivals. The Crowned Prince Junmyeon sat in the center, with Prince Baekhyun on his left. The Second Prince Chanyeol sat on his right. On the edges sat the younger ones: The Fourth Prince, Jongin and the Fifth Prince, Sehun.

 

Jongdae and I walked to the middle. I only caught a glimpse of their reaction as I bent down to bow my respects to them.

 

When I rose again, Prince Baekhyun was on his feet, face blank and his mouth parted. His face was blank but his eyes were racing as well as his breathing, his chest visibly rising up and down. The Crown Prince reached up to Baekhyun’s shoulders to anchor him to sit back down.

 

As Jongdae pulled me away to the side, I caught the haughty insecure looks from overly decorated ladies and duchesses. Any possible interested suitors gave me nothing more than a second long glance, afraid to look for too long.

 

“I suppose your right about the dress,” I whispered to my brother, “It is too much.”

 

Jongdae let out a wide smile as he looked around at the uncertainty of the guest, “No, I was proven wrong. It’s just right.”

 

I knew he was smiling because it was now easier for him to enjoy the night without having to swat away any potential suitors thus making his night easier. There was no way anyone from a Royal ranking would make it known they were interested in me in such a public setting.

 

That is until the music began.

 

And the King and Queen entered with a regal swell of trumpets announcing their appearance, taking their rightful place at the head of the table. They welcomed everyone to their month long festivities, hoping only for auspicious agreements to be made.

 

I stole a glance of Prince Baekhyun, who still had his eyes on me. His lips were still parted but it seemed like he had found use for them as he mouthed a simple Hello to me.

 

I felt my cheeks blaze.

 

Hello, I mouthed back, Your Highness.

 

He blinked slowly as if he was savoring something in his memory.

 

“Let us begin our first dance!” The King announced with a booming chuckle, “My first son! Will you lead a lucky-”

 

The Crowned Prince jumped at his chance as the small band of violin’s began playing, a swell of beautiful chords that filled my chest with a warmth of discomfort and calm. I saw Prince Baekhyun look away, trying to hide a smile as if it was a secret he couldn't keep to himself.

 

“Miss Kaira.”

 

My focus tore away from Prince Baekhyun to land at the figure in front of me, the Crowned Prince bowing his head graciously. He took my unassuming hand in his and brought it to his lips, a kiss that brought a buzz around me. Jongdae stood still paralyzed that his own friend would have taken the chance to grace me with his gained knowledge of the westerned world. Prince Junmyeon was definitely a different kind of Royal.

 

“May I have this first dance?”

 

I couldn't say no.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Double update. I can confidently say that the next chapter should be a crowd pleaser. ^^