Chapter 15

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

we were something, don't you think so?

Seven years ago, he told Seolhee that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be part of the future that she had planned. Maybe at that very moment, he really didn't want his life planned ahead. Maybe right there where he stood, he didn't realize just how much he loved her to plan a future ahead. But one thing Baekhyun was sure of was that he was too young to realize that she was all that mattered.

     Out of all the things that he regretted, Baekhyun knows he would trade the world just to go back to when Seolhee asked if he wanted to end things with her and he replies that he doesn't know. He wants to forgive himself for saying "I don't know" at that moment, he was too immature to be sure of something as solid as what he had with her. But every time Baekhyun lays in bed alone, he can't help but wish he said no. Because really, the last thing he needed was to end things with her. But Seolhee doesn't know that.

     So for the whole three weeks that they were broken up, Seolhee wasn't aware of how his heart had ached if not more, just as much as hers.

 

"Can we not do it here, Baekhyun?" Seolhee says. "Our co-workers are around. Can we stay professionals, please?"

     Baekhyun bows his head. If he wants to tell her the truth, he has to do it now, or else he wouldn't find any more time like this with Seolhee when she wasn't too busy in the hospital.

     "Okay, then let's talk somewhere else," he replies, now looking right into her eyes. "Seol, we need to talk about this. If you have this kind of resentment against me, then let me explain, at least."

     Seolhee leans back on the broad tree. A few meters behind her are their busy co-workers talking among themselves.

     "In an hour, everyone will go home and they wouldn't even notice us gone. I'll text Yixing that I'll be going first. No one will suspect a thing if that's what you're worried about,"

     That was exactly what Seolhee was worried about and truthfully, what Baekhyun had just said made sense. Everyone will be too busy going home on their own. No one will miss their presence.

     "Okay," Seolhee finally agrees. "I agree that we need this talk, after all the talks that we had, we still need this one,"

     Baekhyun chuckles, along with the relief that he felt when Seolhee agreed.

 

"Wow, you said we're just talking, now I'm at your place," Seolhee says when they arrived at Baekhyun's apartment complex. Judging by the exterior of the building, Seolhee knows for sure that it's not a cheap apartment.

     "I'm sorry," Baekhyun, now suddenly shy because of the decision he had made, says. "Should we go somewhere else?"

     Seolhee shakes her head. "No, it's fine," somehow, she feels better that they would be having a conversation in a private place instead of a coffee shop or somewhere public.

     Baekhyun leads the way and they both remained quiet on their way to his unit. When they got inside, the awkward atmosphere lingers. Baekhyun awkwardly offers Seolhee a coffee which Seolhee awkwardly accepts. Then he awkwardly sits adjacent to her in the living room and puts his coffee on the center table.

     "On second thought, I don't really need to hear your side, Baekhyun," Seolhee suddenly says. She didn't mean that, though. It was her nervousness talking.

     "But can I still say it?" Baekhyun asks. When Seolhee didn't say anything, he leans back on the couch and clears his throat. "Remember when I met your mom and you decided to stay at my place?"

 

It was their finals week at the university when Baekhyun and Seolhee spent the night at her place. The next morning, Seolhee's mother went to visit her without prior notice and saw Baekhyun in her apartment.

     Now, Seolhee never had a good relationship with both of her parents. Her mother is a doctor and was never really present throughout her childhood. Seolhee raised herself and was often left in the hospital where her mother used to work at. Her experiences at that hospital made her want to be a doctor too. And although her mother was a well-respected cardiologist in her field, she never dreamed to be like her mom.

      When Mrs. Shin saw Baekhyun, it was a disaster. It was screaming and thrashing between her and Seolhee. Baekhyun had to stand there with his head low and witness how Seolhee tried to defend him.

     "Baekhyun has been there for me more than you ever were," Seolhee shouted.

     It made Baekhyun feel worse than it was supposed to. In the first phase of their relationship, he was never there for her at all. He just started being present a few months prior to that encounter with her mother. And for Seolhee to say that he has been there for her more than her parents meant that she must have been so lonely, she must have endured so much as a child.

     When Seolhee's mother said that she was wasting her time with him, Baekhyun couldn't disagree for sure. Maybe she was wasting her time. Baekhyun's doubts about himself, about just how much he deserved someone as amazing as Seolhee, grew each day.

     After that fight, Seolhee decided to go to Baekhyun's place. When he offered to let her stay the night, of course she agreed. Baekhyun also offered to get clothes at her place but when he got back, Seolhee's mother was still there.

     She was sitting at the dining table alone. When she looked up to see Baekhyun, she was calmer and less hostile. she invited him to sit with her and talk.

     "You love my daughter, don't you?"

     Baekhyun nodded.

     "I asked you a while ago to stay away from her. I'm sorry I did that," she said and Baekhyun was quite shocked to hear that, seeing how harsh she was earlier to both of them. "But if she decides one day that you're not worth her time anymore, and she will, please let her be."

     Baekhyun never felt so small in his life as he did during that time. He knows her mother is looking down on him, telling him that he's a good-for-nothing boy without actually saying the words. She's good at making him feel it, and Baekhyun wondered if that was also how she feels every time she talks to her own mother.

     No wonder Seolhee used to have a panic attacks when she missed class or didn't get an A on a test or a paper. This is what she must have felt.

     Baekhyun nodded again.

     "She will come to her senses. I know my daughter like the back of my hand,"

 

"No, the f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter