Chapter 10

Right Feels Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

the snaps from same little breaks in the soul

"We should go back," Seolhee says, wiping the remaining tears off her cheeks and clearing her eyes. "Yeah," Baekhyun agrees.

     When they parted ways, Seolhee went straight to check up on Minkyung. However, when she found her room empty, Seolhee immediately asked the nurse and was told that she had been cleared by Dr. Kim a few minutes ago.

     Seolhee runs outside, hoping to see Minkyung. And she did. She sees Minkyung walking away with two older people and assumes that they're the girl's parents.

     She calls Minkyung, and the girl looks back along with her parents. "Hi, I'm Dr. Shin. I'm your daughter's doctor,"

     The three did not say anything, just stared blankly at her waiting for her next move. "Did you know that Minkyung is-"

     "Yes," the mother, who looks like she's in her late 40s, says harshly. "We're going to take care of it,"

     Despite the coldness in the woman's voice, Seolhee lets out a sigh of relief. Then she looks at Minkyung and asks her, "You're going to be alright, okay? You can go back here anytime and ask for me when you're not feeling well,"

     "You reported him to the police," Minkyung says with the same harshness like her mother. "It wasn't your business to pry on,"

     Seolhee is taken aback. She looks at the girl's parents, but their empty stares give her nothing. "With all due respect, Minkyung, Minkyung's mom and dad, I did what I had to do. Our country's consent age is 20 years old. That man is manipulating her," she tries her best to explain without sounding mad. Now she just sounds desperate.

     The parents remain silent. "He hurt me. He tried to strangle me," Seolhee speaks again. "I'm not sure if that was the first time he hurt someone, but I'm sure as hell that that will not be the last time,"

     "You threatened to call the police on him. What did you expect his reaction to be?" the father instantly replies.

     "What?" Seolhee couldn't believe what was happening anymore. Even the parents are defending the man.

     "We talked to him, he will drop the charges against you, and we will not file a complaint against him. This is over, doctor. Please don't make it more complicated for us," Minkyung's mother said.

     "No," Seolhee says, stopping the family from turning away. "No, what's going to happen to Johoon?"

     "He's going to take care of the baby as he should," her father says, and then they start walking away again.

     "What? Are you hearing yourself? You're going to leave your daughter in the hands of a 26-year-old man? No parent in their right mind would do that!" she shouts as she runs after them. "Hey, Minkyung. You're still a child," then she blocks the way for the three. "I can terminate the pregnancy if you consent to that. We can file this as and hand it to the court so we can get permission. Please, please, let me help you,"

     Looking at Minkyung's mother, it is easy to tell that she was filled with fury by what Seolhee had just said. "You imbecile doctor!" she almost slaps her when the father stops her hand from landing on Seolhee. "We will never ever kill that baby and you," she points at Seolhee with gritting teeth. "You will go back to the hospital and never bother us again, or we will be the one to file a harassment case against you."

     That was the moment Seolhee realized that she could no longer help someone who did not want any help, so she stepped back. She backs away and heaves a heavy breath.

     "If you need help, go here and ask for my me, okay? My name is Shin Seolhee. Remember that, okay, Minkyung?" she says, and although Minkyung did not respond, she clings to the hope that the innocent girl will remember her name.

 

Seolhee goes back to the hospital with another case of a heavy heart. She feels rage deep within, and she doesn't know what to do with it. It has always been her problem: wanting to do everything, to be someone to everyone. She's still struggling to find the proper battle to fight for, choose the right people to be a hero to, and whenever she fails to be that hero, she loses her purpose.

     "Dr. Shin!" Yixing runs to her as soon as she enters the pediatric ward. "It's Tahee,"

     That was all Seolhee needed before running towards Tahee's room. "What happened?" she asks Yixing. "Didn't I assign you and Yejun on the pedia today?"

     "I- uh," Yixing stutters.

     "WHAT?" Seolhee shouts, startling almost everyone in the room as her loud voice greets them. Then she sees Tahee on the bed, being intubated by Baekhyun and Gayeong.

     "Dr. Shin, I-"

     "Tell me what happened immediately," she says while hurrying to put on her gloves.

     "I accidentally gave her prednisolone instead of propanolol,"

     Seolhee's heart almost dropped to her chest. She didn't say anything else except instruct Baekhyun and Gayeong on the intubation process as it was their first time doing it.

     When Tahee was given the proper medication to stabilize, Seolhee roughly removed her gloves and ordered the Yixing and Yejun to follow her. "Baekhyun and Gayeong, I don't want you anywhere else except here, monitoring Tahee, do you understand?" the two interns nod, then she walks out, gesturing a "follow me" hand to the other two.

     "What were you two doing?" she asks as soon as they arrive at an empty hallway.

     Yejun and Yixing, with both their heads down, apologize. "We're sorry, it was our mistake,"

     Seolhee scoffs, her emotions building up even more. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter