Rebuilding

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Just going to warn you, there's a time jump here (five years). It's said in the beginning.

And, it's kind of surreal to say, but we finally made it! Hope you enjoy this final chapter!

 

---------

 

Five years later

 

24 March 1827 

 

Dear Father, I received one of your letters from a couple of months ago. I’m sorry for only responding now, I just couldn’t seem to get my thoughts in order. I’m glad to know you’re all doing well. I’ve been doing well too. It’s been so long since we’ve last seen each other. I heard that the palace is in the final rebuilding stages, is that true? If it is, that’s great news! I’m happy for the new queen. I hope she can finally achieve all she wants to. She deserves it far more than I ever did. 

 

I turned out exactly like my brother in the end, huh? I ran away. I bet he misses me dearly, just like I did when he was gone. I get it now, why he did that, the burden of the role I had. I couldn’t simply love who I loved, it was all conditional. So, I’m glad with how I live now. It’s a quaint and quiet place and I no longer have to worry about whether or not I’m doing my job right. Because now, I no longer have anyone I have to appease. It’s honestly such a freeing feeling. 

 

Anyway, today, I’m thirty. That’s such a strange number to say. I know my age is a number that keeps going up, but seeing it just feels so surreal. Something about me just even making it this far is truly a feat. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me. 

 

Sincerely, Mina. 

 

---------

 

3 April 1827 

 

Dear Queen Yoo, how’s the new palace treating you? I heard it’s almost completed. That’s really great! I’m proud of you! Despite everything that happened, I still believe you will be a great ruler. You got everything you deserved. 

 

It took me a long time, but I think I finally accepted it. I finally understand that you never had any intention of really caring for me besides the bare minimum. You put me in that academy for your own gain. You can disagree with that all you want, but it’s true, isn’t it? You adopted me, but I was still alone most of the time. I wanted to believe I had real parents, and for a time I did, but now, I’m glad with where I am. I sincerely hope you are happy with where you are too. 

 

Yours truly, Chaeyoung. 

 

---------

 

16 April 1827 

 

My daughter, it was so nice to hear from you! I’m also glad to hear you’re doing well! Yes! What you heard is correct. In fact, the palace has actually finally been completely rebuilt. I’m also happy for her, I think she’ll do amazing things as queen (much better than my wife, but don’t tell her I said that). 

 

Perhaps you did, but you held on for much longer than he did, that’s something I really admire in you, you fight for what you believe in one hundred and ten percent until you can’t anymore. But, yes, he does miss you, I’m sure of that. I’m so happy for you though! I’m glad you feel free. 

 

And Happy belated birthday! Thirty. Wow! That does feel weird. I’m really glad you have made it this far. No, thank you! You’ve done so much. You deserve your quaint life. Live it to the fullest! 

 

Love, your father, Akira. 

 

---------

 

23 April 2027

 

Dear Chaeyoung, thank you for your well wishes. I think I owe you an apology. No, I know I do. I’m sorry. You’re right, I used you. I don’t want to sugarcoat it. You don’t deserve someone like me as your parent. In the beginning, I really wanted a child, but as soon as I became captain of the guard, I let my greed and hunger for power get the best of me. I’m truly sorry for not caring about you more. I’m sorry for going to such an extreme. I’m sorry for everything. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I don’t know how many times I can possibly apologize, but I promise you, I’m sorry. I’m glad you’re happy where you are, I am too. Thank you for taking the time to write to me. And, happy birthday, for all that’s worth. 

 

Best regards, Queen Yoo. 

 

---------

 

Chaeyoung reread the letter. Twice. Three times. Yet, she just couldn’t wrap her head around it. The apology seemed almost meaningless, but the fact she even received one made her tear up. It was such an interesting paradox because, on one hand, there was the idea that “if you repeat something, people are more likely to believe it,” and on the other, “the more you say something, the less it means.” So, she didn’t know what to make of it. At least her mother made the effort. She appreciated that. 

 

27 April 1827 

 

Thank you, your majesty. 

 

Well wishes, Chaeyoung. 

 

She didn’t need any more words. 

 

---------

 

Mina had debated writing this letter for years. Even the thought of putting those three words to paper again scared her. It was a simple opening, but writing it was a commitment she struggled to make. However, today was going to be it. She was going to do it; write. 

 

1 May 1827 

 

My dear friend. It’s been so long since I’ve called you that. Are you doing well? That’s a stupid question, I know you are. I just don’t know what to say. Can you believe how long it’s been since we first met? Seventeen years. That’s kind of crazy to think about. Not once did I ever think I’d be here with you, so far from the palace. You know I’m not the type to run, but in this instance, I’m glad I did. The role I had was overbearing, I think you would agree with that. This is the life I truly want for myself. No more fighting, no more worrying if I was good enough, no more trying to hide who I am. I finally found peace. It was all because of you, that I was able to survive. I wouldn’t be where I am if it wasn’t for you all those years ago, and now. You were the best decision I ever made. Thank you. 

 

Love, the girl by the well. 

 

“That felt so weird,” Mina muttered to herself. “But, I’m glad I did it.” 

 

She tucked the letter into an envelope and addressed it to its respective person, leaving it on the desk. It was her closure. 

 

---------

 

Chaeyoung thought it was kind of ironic that the next time she received a letter from “the girl by the well,” was not only when she was twice the age she was when they first stopped exchanging letters, but also when they literally lived together. She had to admit she let out a chuckle when she saw a letter in her partner’s writing addressed to, “my dear friend.” She wasn’t going to deny the sentimentality of it, though. The letter was an expression of love. So, of course, she responded to it. 

 

2 May 1827 

 

Dear the girl by the well, it’s been such a long time. It’s not a stupid question. I’m doing well, that hasn’t really changed since you saw me this morning. I understand though, how else would you open a letter to someone you haven’t written to for a long time? It only makes sense. So yeah. Has it really been seventeen years? I can remember it like it was yesterday. The first time I saw you, the first time you talked to me, the first time we exchanged letters. All of it. I might not have been able to remember your name for a while, but I still had all the memories. And, yeah, to be honest, I didn’t think I’d ever be here with you either. I’m glad you made that decision. The role you had did seem overbearing. Oh, unless you’re asking about my role, then also the same, being a guard was a tough job. I’m glad you think so, me too! This life is the kind I really wanted. I never really enjoyed extravagance. I’m happy you found peace. No! Thank you! I feel the exact same way, I don’t think I’d be where I am without you. 

 

I love you, your dear friend. 

 

She folded the letter and wrote, “To: the girl by the well,” on the front but didn’t bother to put it in an envelope. Instead, she walked to the bakery Mina worked at and decided to hand it to her herself. A bell rang as she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter