Confusion in the Courtyard

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Mina walked around the courtyard, she heard an angelic voice singing a traditional Korean folk song. Following the voice, she saw the guard. She was frozen, unable to form words. This was the last thing she expected to see from the guard.  

 

“You have a beautiful voice,” she said without thinking. 

 

Why did I say that? I mean, it's not wrong, but why were those the words I decided on? 

 

The guard turned around at the sound of her words.

 

“Thank you, your highness,” the guard said, looking down to avoid looking at the princess.

 

“You’re good at following orders, at least that's something.” 

 

“Yes, the Kims trained me after I was adopted. They taught me almost everything about being a guard, including always following orders.” 

 

“I see. You can lift your head.” 

 

Chaeyoung was confused but did as she was told anyway. She lifted her head and was faced with a pair of intense brown eyes and a face showing a small smile. 

 

“That's the opposite of what you said yesterday.” 

 

“Oh, I wanted to apologize for that. You are probably aware of the fact that guards aren't my favorite people. I'm sorry for how I acted yesterday.” 

 

Without giving the guard a chance to say anything, the princess left. 

 

What is this? Yesterday she was like don't look at me, and today she apologizes for saying that? She also complimented my voice but went on to say guards aren't her favorite people. It's all so confusing. I don't know what to do. 

 

---------

 

“I apologized to her,” Mina said.

 

“You apologized? That’s unexpected,” Sana said. 

 

“I don’t know what came over me. I’ve never apologized to a guard before.” 

 

“You did the right thing, albeit probably making her very confused in the process, but progress. Maybe you won’t entirely hate guards by the end of this.” 

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” 

 

“You’ll understand sooner or later.”

 

“I guess so.” 

 

Sana nodded and went to pull out an envelope from the bottom drawer of the princess’s desk. 

 

“Do you remember these?” 

 

“Of course, I do.” 

 

She grabbed the envelope from Sana's hand and slid her fingers along the faint lettering of “To the girl by the well.” 

 

“What happened?” 

 

“I had to let them go. I don’t even really remember them anymore, it’s been years since we last exchanged a letter. I hope they’re doing well, wherever they might be.”

 

“Can you read it?” 

 

“Sure.” 

 

She opened the envelope and unfolded the letter. 

 

“Dear the girl by the well, I hope you’re doing okay. I’m really proud of you. You’re one of the strongest and bravest people I know. Don’t let them get to you. I’m with you, I’ll always be with you, even if our communication one day stops. Keep me in your mind. Sincerely, your dear friend.” 

 

She hadn't realized that while reading the letter she started tearing up, not until Sana mentioned something about it. 

 

“Are you okay? I don’t think I’ve seen you cry since well, you know…” 

 

“I’m fine,” she said, wiping her eyes, ridding herself of the forming tears. 

 

“Did you ever know the person’s true name?” 

 

“We never used our names when writing to each other. I always called them ‘my dear friend’ and they always called me ‘the girl by the well.’ Maybe a long time ago I did, but now it’s lost on me.” 

 

“You said the guard seemed familiar, right?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter