A Letter and The First Snow

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung shivered as she stood at her post on an exceptionally cold winter day. She wore extra layers, but they helped little against the freezing temperatures of Korea in December. But, this was her duty as a guard, the weather should have been no problem for someone like her. So, just, don’t tell the family that she was secretly grateful that guard changes were more frequent in the winter. 

 

After a few minutes of standing guard, she suddenly heard a weird sound and stepped forward slightly, gripping the hilt of her sword. She didn’t expect it to be a rebel attack, but she did know they were more prone to attack at times like this, when defenses were lower than normal. In the freezing cold and dark. So, she kept her hand on her sword and inched forward slowly. It was only around 18:00 in the evening but it was already dark and the low visibility due to the new moon made it harder for her to see what was in front of her. 

 

“Who’s there? Show yourself!” Chaeyoung called out. 

 

When she heard a sword slashing instead of a response, she brandished her own sword, taking it out of its holster. She held it in front of her and continued walking forward until the blade met another one. The last thing she wanted was to kill someone, but she would if she had to. Yet, it seemed the other person was barely putting up a fight. It only took one particularly strong hit for her to knock the sword out of the other person’s hand. The other person raised their arms in surrender as she pointed the tip of her blade towards their throat. 

 

“Wait! Please don’t kill me! I don’t want to hurt you,” the other person said. 

 

Chaeyoung slid her sword back into its holster. “Then, why didn’t you say anything? Who are you? What are you doing here?” 

 

“I’m sorry for that, it’s just I heard a voice and panicked, brought out my sword. My name is Kang Seulgi, I just want to relay a message.” 

 

“To who?” 

 

“To someone named Son Chaeyoung, I was told she would be here.” 

 

“Yes, I am. What’s your message?” 

 

Seulgi took a letter out of her pocket and handed it to Chaeyoung with her head down, feeling embarrassed. “I didn’t know I’d be talking to the one I was supposed to give this letter to. I apologize once again.” 

 

“It’s okay. No harm done.” 

 

Seulgi nodded, picked up her sword, and said, “Well, have a good night then. My daughter sends her regards,” before walking away. 

 

Chaeyoung was confused by Seulgi’s last statement, but ignored it for the time being to slowly walk back to her post, making sure not to fall in the dark. The letter could wait, her life was more important.

 

---------

 

The next day, while she was on patrol, Chaeyoung decided to look at the letter she was given. It was a good time to read it, because while it still may have been cold, at least the sun was out and she could see. 

 

Dear Chaeyoung, I hope you’re doing well. It’s been a long time since we last talked, but somehow I felt like this was important to send. If you’re reading this, then you most likely met my mother, or well, one of them. And, I know I already apologized for this, and it’s been over ten years, but I’m still sorry over that scar. 

 

You’re probably questioning why I’m sending you this. So, let me say, as you may or may not know, some Kims are destined to be guards, but, others have so much more inside of them. For example, I can sense dangerous situations before they happen. I can see visions too. This was very recently, but one of them involved you, the palace, powerful energy, and flames. I don’t know how they’re related, but I do know it’s trouble. So, be careful, that’s all I can say.

 

Yours truly, Kim Yerim. 

 

P.S. I wish

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter