Her Father's Note

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina was only supposed to be there to get one of her brother’s old suits, but the longer she stood in his bed-chamber, the more she was reminded of everything. The things that brought everything back were the chessboard that sat in the middle of the chamber with almost all the pieces to the side and the king knocked over, as well as, the parchment hanging on the wall indicating how many times either of them won. Mina beat out her brother by only three games, including the last one they played together. She had always liked playing chess. She also noticed the rolled-up parchment on his desk and the painting of the family with him in the middle wearing a crown; they all thought he would be the next king. That never came to fruition. She knew it was for the best. What if it was her and her dear friend instead? That thought had crossed her mind many times since she came to remember that her dear friend and Guard Son were one in the same person. It had been almost a week since that revelation and she couldn’t stop thinking if their circumstances had been different, that maybe in another life where she wasn’t the princess she wouldn’t have to hide. She wanted to be brave like her brother was, even if no one else thought of him that way.

 

In some ways, Mina was grateful she was born a woman because a woman in society was not put to the same standards, but in the same vein, that was why she hated being one. She was expected to be two different people, one to appease her father and another one, her mother. She liked the person her father expected her to be much more, but that still wasn’t entirely her true self. 

 

“Why are you in here?” Sana asked, walking into the chamber.  

 

Mina jumped, startled by the sudden voice, then turned to face Sana. “I was only supposed to get a suit, but then I got reminded of him.” 

 

“A suit?” 

 

“I want to wear one of my brother’s old suits to the ball. Do you think Momo would tailor one for me?” 

 

“Wait, you want to wear a suit? Next thing I know, you tell me I was right in my prediction and you want to invite her.” 

 

Mina looked down at the ground. She didn’t want to let Sana have that satisfaction, as she was already right about her once. 

 

“But just you wait, I don’t think you’ll be hating each other soon,” you told me. “You said the guard seemed familiar, right? Is there any chance…” you told me again. Can you tell the future or something, Sana? Because you’re right, you’re so right. I can’t let you know that again though. But I bet you already caught on. You know me too well. 

 

She noticed how Sana started jumping up and down. 

 

Yep. You’re not going to let me live this one down, are you? 

 

“I’m right! Mina! Guard Son Chaeyoung is your dear friend! This is the biggest ‘I told you so’ of my life! No, the century!” Sana exclaimed, then dropped her voice to a whisper, “Does that mean the king knew too?” 

 

Mina still heard the question despite Sana’s whispering and answered it. “I’m pretty sure he did.” 

 

Sana pulled the note she found with Dahyun at the library out of her pocket. “Then, I think this belongs to you.” She handed it to Mina. 

 

My daughter, if you somehow find this note, let me first say, I’m sorry. You were lied to, but I bet you already figured that out. That’s how I raised you to be. Always the perceptive one, born to be the protector I didn’t deserve to be. I knew all of your questions, but I couldn’t answer them. I thought I could be better for you, for your brother, for your sister, but all I was was a coward who couldn’t be brave for his children. You never deserved to be the victim of my poor actions. I’m proud of you, so incredibly proud of you. You grew to become a woman of such sophisticated grace and determination. I know you found your true love again, you deserve that more than anything. I love you, your father. 

 

“Lied to? Sister? Protector? I think you have the wrong person, Sana. The Legend of The Well is just a story and I don’t have a sister. I know my father knew my questions before I even asked them and that he told me he thinks I deserve to find love; it also looks like my father’s penmanship, but I don’t think this note is for me.” 

 

“Ah, you don’t know.” 

 

“What do you mean? Sana, what are you not telling me?” 

 

Sana shrugged. “Ask Momo. I’m sure she’ll be willing to tailor your suit and tell you what you want to know.” 

 

“If I can find a good one first.” 

 

Sana pointed to one with a navy blue suit jacket and pants and a light blue, almost white button-down shirt.  She then po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter