Fragments

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tattered clothes served no one well, the people could see the scars. The orphanage was just as bad as the streets, but at least they had the bare necessities for survival. Chaeyoung was known as a tiger; fierce, brave, confident, and strong on the outside, but underneath she was soft, fragile, emotional, and broken. She had refused to eat more than one meal a day and saved water until she absolutely needed it. Her original physical weakness allowed her to be mentally strong, taking the beatings that came to her, always being curious, wanting to learn. The daily lessons at the orphanage weren't enough for her anymore, she craved more than that. She always asked questions that the teacher wasn't allowed to answer and that really frustrated her. Why wasn't she allowed to know? Why was she here? What will her future be like? Can she one day be free? These curiosities ate at her day and night, so much so that some days she couldn't even bring herself to sleep. One day, the people of the orphanage were allowed to go out into the village. She knew one thing about the village surrounding the orphanage, a well that could supposedly grant any wish. She didn't have any mun to offer it though, so all she could do was look. She observed it quietly and at the corner of her eye, she could see someone who looked a little older than her accompanied by someone who looked to be their older sibling. A few seconds later she heard a splash. Another coin in the well. She could also hear their conversation. 

 

“I want to believe in this. It seems very special,” the older said. 

 

“It does. I wonder if the story is actually true,” the younger said. 

 

“Well, what did you wish for?”

 

“You know saying it out loud means it won't come true.”

 

“I know, I know. I’m just curious.”

 

“That’s not how this works.”

 

“Yah! Always so cold.”

 

“I’m just being honest.” 

 

“Alright, I get it, you don't want to share.”

 

“You’re smart.” 

 

“Aww, how sweet.”

 

“Stop being so soft. For being taught by our father, I thought at least some of that knowledge would’ve rubbed off.”

 

“Wow, harsh.”

 

“Once again, just being honest.”

 

“I get it, not your favorite person in the world.”

 

“I didn't say that, now you're misinterpreting my words.”

 

“So you do like me?”

 

“What's that supposed to mean? You're my brother.”

 

“Still, you could hate me for all I know.”

 

“You make no sense sometimes, let's just go.”

 

The older nodded and they started walking away but she could’ve sworn she saw the younger turn back and make eye contact with her for a slight moment. It was weird, the simple look was oddly enough to tell her they lived completely separate lives but still had something similar between them. 

 

---------

 

Whenever she was allowed to go out, she observed everything, oftentimes walked around, sometimes stayed by the well, but always listened. She had heard rumors about the siblings that visit the village. 

 

“Apparently, those two are members of the royal family,” a villager whispered to their friend, pointing to them as they walked by.

 

“I heard that they’re not even Korean, that they overthrew the previous family many years ago, and replaced them,” their friend whispered back. 

 

“What? That can’t be true, can it?”

 

“That's what I’ve heard.” 

 

“I don't understand why they come here, they’ll never be like us.”

 

“Exactly, what’s the point?”

 

“So they can take us over too? To perhaps think they’re normal?”

 

“Hah, that second question is laughable. No way they would want to be normal living so grand like that.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter