Home

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: A note here: Minatozaki Kazumi and Takara are also just names I made up. I made a note in the previous chapter that I don't really know the characters' parents' actual names. So, just go with it. They're OCs now I guess, lol. 

Anyway, hope you all enjoy! Happy reading!

 

---------

 

Fifteen years ago

 

Sana grew up poor, but her always bright, bubbly, and kind attitude despite her circumstances helped carry her through most of her childhood in which she performed as a street performer to support her parents. Oftentimes, villagers passing by saw her and decided to spare a couple of mun. Through this, she was able to earn just enough to buy essentials to help support her family. It wasn’t much, but it was honest work. 

 

Over time, the villagers that passed by noticed Sana’s growth, how her dance moves seemed to be more fluid, and her voice more on pitch and key. She earned more mun through this and actually drew a decent crowd, which brought an even larger smile to her face. Her biggest goal was to attract people and make them smile with her performances, and she was glad she finally achieved that. 

 

One day, she even caught the attention of the queen herself, who made no effort to disguise herself and went to enjoy a day out in the village. That was someone none of the rest of the crowd was expecting to see that day. It was surprising, to say the least. After she finished her performance, the queen came up to her and handed her a bag of mun enough to feed her family for two months and buy new clothes on top of that. 

 

“Good job,” the queen said. 

 

“Wow, thank you, your majesty,” Sana said. 

 

“Don’t mention it.” The queen walked away with a small smile. 

 

Sana thought nothing of the queen’s intentions at that moment and took the gift at face value with a lot of gratitude. She returned home, showing her parents the amount of mun she had earned, much to their surprise. However, she later realized that the queen’s act of supposed kindness turned out to be one of manipulation. In a royal decree received by her parents two days later, the queen promised them a comfortable living in return for Sana living in the palace and becoming a secretary. 

 

“Sana, I think you should go,” her father said. 

 

“Are you sure?” Sana asked. 

 

“We’re sure. We’re going to miss you a lot, but this is good, we can finally live the good life we dreamed of,” her mother said. 

 

“If you’re so sure. Then I’ll go. I promise to come back and visit one of these days.” 

 

“I know you will,” her father said. 

 

So, off Sana went to the palace at the ripe age of eleven. 

 

---------

 

Back to the present

 

Now, at the age of twenty-six, Sana reflected a lot on the position she was in. The queen found her when she was vulnerable, and promised her and her family a good life, which they inevitably received, but at what cost? She saw how the queen treated people with far less respect than they deserved. 

 

But, today was not a day she wanted to think about those things. It was the 29th of December, her birthday. She wanted to celebrate the present, not dwell on the past. 

 

“What should I do though?” she questioned herself. 

 

She paced her chamber, thinking about what to do. Momo and Mina already came and wished her a happy birthday early in the morning but told her they couldn’t spend the day with her due to Momo having to work and Mina being called to special business. She gave a rueful nod as the other two walked out of the chamber with sad smiles. Preparing for the new year was always a crazy time in the palace, she knew that ever since she moved in. However, that still didn’t stop her from feeling sad over the occasional years she couldn’t spend her birthday with her best friends. 

 

Damn, get it together, Sana! Why are you fretting over everything? This is not the way to spend your special day! Think, Sana, think. 

 

A few minutes later, she had the bright idea to visit her parents. She had been thinking about them lately. Maybe this was just the time for a visit. So, her plan was decided, but another question started looming over her. Her partner. Should she invite Dahyun? Was that too much? 

 

She shook her head to rid those thoughts and decided she was just going to go for it. It was a big step—meeting the parents—but she was ready for it. Dahyun was the love of her life. She wanted her to meet her parents. 

 

Taking a thick coat and a pair of gloves, she went outside. She let out a sigh and saw her breath dissipate into the air. Here went nothing. 

 

She walked to the library where Dahyun stood, rubbing her hands together, trying to create warmth. She then saw Dahyun look at her watch, sighing at the amount of time she had left until the next guard change. 

 

“Hey, Dahyun,” Sana greeted shyly. 

 

Dahyun looked up at her. “Sana! Hey. Happy birthday!” 

 

“You remembered.” 

 

“Of course! You’re my partner. I love you.” 

 

Sana flushed at the confession. “I love you too.” 

 

“So, do you have any plans?” 

 

“I want to visit my parents. Can you come with me?” 

 

“I would love to, but I’m still stuck here for another,” Dahyun checked her watch again, “half an hour.” 

 

“Okay. I’ll stay here with you until then.” 

 

Dahyun smiled at Sana’s devotion and watched people walking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter