A Daughter For Christmas

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hey everyone! This is a special Christmas chapter for you all! My present to you for the holidays! 

A couple of notes: this chapter takes a bit of dialogue from chapter 11, and Hirai Mako is just a name made up for the story. I don't know any of the characters' parents' actual names aside from Mina's (Akira and Sachiko). 

Hope you enjoy! 

 

---------

 

King Myoui Akira had always loved Christmas, ever since he was a child. Every year, he hung ornaments on trees around the palace, enjoyed a cup of hot cocoa by the fireplace he lit himself, wrapped presents to the best of his ability for his loved ones, and helped the servants make dinner. At least that last one was until he pushed his oldest daughter into becoming one. He was scared to even step into the kitchen after that. He never even left a gift on the table for her, no matter how much he wanted to, he just couldn’t muster up the courage to do so. That was one of his biggest regrets, that although he was able to watch and protect Momo from afar, he never fully interacted with her very much after she became a servant. This Christmas, however, it was going to be different, he was going to confront his fear of the past twenty years. 

 

So, he stepped into the kitchen with a confident stance and a smile on his face. He knew he couldn’t make everything right in a day, that was impossible, but it was a first step in the right direction. It was time for him to face his past and bring back his one lost Christmas tradition. 

 

“Good day, your majesty,” Hyeon greeted. 

 

“Good day,” Akira said. 

 

“How can we help you?” 

 

“Actually, I want to help you. Remember when I always used to help with dinner during Christmas? I want to again.” 

 

Hyeon raised an eyebrow in suspicion and brought her voice to a whisper only Akira could hear, “Is this because of your daughter?” 

 

“Yes. I’ve been scared to do this ever since that moment I left her with you,” Akira whispered. 

 

“Well then, I’m glad you’re back.” Hyeon pointed to where Momo was working. “She’s over there.” 

 

Akira nodded and walked over to his daughter who looked to be mixing a batter of sorts. “Is there anything I can help with?” 

 

Momo was startled by the sudden voice and almost spilled the batter she was mixing, but luckily caught the bowl in time. She looked up and saw her father looking at her with a smile and eagerness about him. It was a very uncanny look for him in her opinion, especially since she was so used to his very stoic demeanor as the king. Seeing him smile like that and have an eager jump to his step was a sight to behold. She guessed it was due to the holiday. But then, what he said finally clicked. 

 

Did my father just ask if he could help cook? 

 

“Ah, sorry for my mishaps. Good day, your majesty,” Momo greeted. 

 

“No, I should be apologizing to you. I’m sorry for startling you like that. I’m also sorry for not being there for you when I should’ve been. This is actually a tradition I used to have before. Every Christmas, I would help the servants make dinner, but ever since the day I made you a servant, I’ve been scared to even step foot in this kitchen. I tried so hard, but I always backed out at the last minute. I know I’m not the best father, but if you’ll let me, I’ll keep trying.” Akira held out a box. “This is for you. Merry Christmas.” 

 

Momo took the box with a small smile. She was glad her father was at least trying to make amends. “Thank you. Merry Christmas to you too, your majesty. If you really want to help, you can start by washing your hands, grabbing a knife, and cutting up some vegetables for the salad.” 

 

“Thank you! I’m extremely grateful for this opportunity.” 

 

“Then use it wisely, your majesty. We don’t have very much time here.” 

 

“Got it!” 

 

After that, Akira did what his daughter told him and got to chopping up vegetables. As he did so, he remembered his teenage years during Christmas, when he often did the task he was doing now. Those were the years he didn’t have to worry as much and had far fewer responsibilities, as he was just the prince at that time. He wished he could go back to that time sometimes, if only just for the fact his parents would still be here and he could get their advice. He loved them dearly and wondered what they thought of his actions after their passing. Were they still proud of him? Even after his many failures as a parent himself? He had no way of knowing. He just prayed and wished they were. 

 

Looking up at Momo hard at work, Akira saw so much of her mother in her. He saw the resilience, pride, hard-working mindset, loyalty to her work, and determination that Hirai Mako also had. That was when he realized the truly terrible irony of his daughter’s existence, a beautiful human being born out of a cursed affair. 

 

He now understood why Momo felt a certain disdain toward him. He knew he should’ve acted differently. His role as king was vastly different from the one as a father, but the former was the one he took more often than not with Momo. 

 

Not to mention, how servants were viewed as something he never believed. In his eyes, they were far from “the lowest of the low.” In fact, he thought quite the opposite, to him, they were vital to the sanctity of the palace. 

 

“Momo?” Akira asked to get her attention. 

 

“Yes, your majesty?” Momo asked in response. 

 

“Can I tell you something? I want you to know that if someone ever made you believe that your position is ‘the lowest of the low,’ I have never thought that. Servants are an important part of the palace. They see and do things we can’t even bear to think about. So, if no one has told you before—although I’m sure Hyeon has—I’m proud of you.” 

 

Momo never once in her life thought she would hear her father say she was proud of her. Maybe Christmas miracles did happen, or maybe he just wasn’t the villain she made him out to be. Sure, he had made many mistakes, but wasn’t that part of being human? After all, it was literally the first thing about being a great servant. But, she was too stubborn to believe he truly loved and cared about her the way he said he did. Today, she started believing. Her father really did care. 

 

Her mind then naturally wandered to her mother. Who was she? What was she like? What happened to her? How did her father and her get into an affair in the first place? Did she care about her too? She wanted to know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter