A Rocky Start

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Princess Mina was told from a young age to always be quiet, never speak out, and always accept the rules, as well as the subsequent punishments that came along with them. There were only two times she broke the rules, the first time being when she snuck out to see her best friend and future personal secretary Minatozaki Sana and the second being when she defended herself in front of the village, but both of those events happened a long time ago and were stories for another time as she already heavily paid the price for them. That was when she realized the consequences of going against her parents, the king and queen. She knew what would happen if she did what she truly wanted. This life was not what she wanted. 

 

Why do I have to stay here? I wish I could run away, be carefree for once. I feel trapped. Why can’t I see my own brother? I want to know.

 

A familiar voice brought her back to reality. “What’s on your mind?” 

 

“Many things, lately my brother is one of them.” 

 

“Do you know where he is?”

 

“No, whenever I try to ask about him I never get a direct answer.” 

 

“You have a right to know.” 

 

“People are entitled to their secrets.” 

 

“Yes, but you deserve to at least see him.” 

 

“At least one person agrees.” 

 

“Of course.” 

 

“So what has been going on with you lately?” 

 

“Well, have you seen the new guards your father employed?” 

 

“What about them? You know I never liked guards.”

 

“I know, but I met one earlier when I was walking around the palace, and they were really nice.” 

 

“I support your relationships, but getting involved with a guard will only bring trouble.” 

 

“Sounds like something your mother has told you thousands of times.” 

 

“So what?” 

 

“You need to escape your bubble sometime, Mina.” 

 

“The last time I tried I was brutally punished. I don’t want to go through that again.” 

 

“Come on, you’re an adult. Why do you keep living by your parent’s rules?” 

 

“They are the king and queen.” 

 

“I think it is a lot more than just the position they hold. To me, it seems like you’re letting them control you.” 

 

“I can’t let go, no matter how much I want to.” 

 

“I get it, but just for once can you see what’s out there?” 

 

“Fine, I’ll go. Be thankful you’re my friend, Sana.” 

 

She walked out of her bed-chamber and shut the door behind her. Heading outside the palace walls, even just outside to the surrounding area was not something she had done in a long time. It was refreshing to be outside under the sun, to see the bushes and plants surrounding the palace. The light breeze was nice as well. Although she hadn’t danced in a long time, she let herself fall into a certain rhythm, but soon noticed she was being watched. The guard who was standing next to the entrance to the main building of the palace was looking at her intently. Once the princess stopped and started walking toward the guard, she knew she had been caught. 

 

“Good day, your highness,” the guard said, giving a bow. 

 

Mina noticed the guard’s appearance. Her dark brown hair was pulled back, but a couple of strands were out of place, her uniform was malformed and wrinkled in some places, the holster for her blade was crooked, and it looked like she was wearing a ring on her right hand. She mentioned nothing of it but kept the observations at the back of her head. 

 

“I noticed you were looking at me dancing, what’s your name?” 

 

“I’m Guard Son Chaeyoung,” she replied with a smile. 

 

Mina could’ve sworn she had heard that name before but didn’t know where. 

 

“Alright, Guard Son, you seem like a nice person, so I’ll tell you this once, and only once, please don’t look at me anymore.” 

 

With that, she went back into the palace and the guard was left standing outside, dumbfounded by the princess’s request. 

 

Who does this princess think she is? How can I not look, when she’s right out in the open? I’m supposed to protect the royal family from danger. I was just watching over her. 

 

---------

 

Sana was clutching her stomach from laughing. “That’s what you said?”

 

“What was I supposed to say?” Mina asked.

 

“I don’t know, have a conversation with them? Unless you’ve forgotten how to do that?” 

 

“I already told you, I don’t want to be associated with a guard, especially not this one.” 

 

“Always so pessimistic, maybe they were just looking out for you. That’s a guard’s job after all.” 

 

“This felt different.” 

 

“How so?” 

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter