What's Your Story?

I Wished For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung closed her journal, put it back in her pocket, and looked up at the source of the voice. “To what do I owe that pleasure, your highness?” 

 

“Do I need a reason?” 

 

“No, the royal family never needs a reason.” 

 

The words were said robotically and Mina laughed at the sudden stiffness Chaeyoung displayed while saying them. 

 

Why are you laughing? Your mother told me those words the day I was hired as a guard. She slapped me right across the face.

 

“Did something happen Guard Son?” 

 

“Nothing at all, your highness.” 

 

Chaeyoung’s voice was slightly lower than normal, it was her tell. Mina soon came to realize that once again. 

 

“Are you sure?” 

 

“Why are you worried?”

 

“I know it may not seem like it, but I do care.” 

 

“Everyone has something they care about, or someone, most likely both.” 

 

“Who do you care about?” 

 

“Many people, my parents, friends, the royal family, the other guards. What about you?” 

 

“My father, brother, friends.” 

 

“What about your mother?” 

 

“We may have some shared opinions, but I have little respect for that woman.” 

 

“May I ask why?” 

 

“I may hate guards, but my mother is on another level. My brother fell in love with one and she did everything in her power to keep them apart. She taught me how to dance but couldn’t accept it when I failed. She blamed me for my former partner’s cheating when she was the one who arranged it and I was the victim. She punished me into submission so I wouldn’t do anything that remotely went against the rules I’m supposed to follow.” 

 

“I don’t know what to say, I’m sorry.” 

 

“You don’t have to apologize, it’s not your fault.”

 

There was an evident pause before Chaeyoung spoke again. It was strangely calming and not at all awkward. 

 

“Do you ever feel like running away?” 

 

“All the time.” 

 

“Why do you stay?” 

 

“Because I have someone to fight for.” 

 

“Who might that be?” 

 

“Kai. His name is Kai.” 

 

In Mina’s mind, her brother was wholeheartedly someone to fight for, but her slight eyebrow twitch revealed that was only a half-truth. Chaeyoung soon came to remember the fact that was her tell as well. 

 

“Your current partner?” 

 

“No! God no! He’s my brother.” 

 

“I see. Do you currently have a significant other in your life?” 

 

“Much to the dismay of my mother and her efforts, I don’t. In my opinion, love shouldn’t be forced.” 

 

“Have you ever fallen in love?” 

 

“Yes. I realized it too late.” 

 

“What’s your story?” 

 

“My story?” 

 

“Yes, I want to know more about the person I’m supposed to protect.” 

 

Chaeyoung smiled. They were already having a naturally deep conversation, so to her, this was clever. Surprisingly, Mina also smiled at the statement. To her, the sentiment was endearing, especially since no one outside her two close friends had ever thought to get to know more about her. 

 

Maybe guards aren’t as insufferable as I thought. Or maybe it’s just this one in particular. 

 

She shook her head at the thought and asked, “Alright, since you already know more about me than any other guard I’ve ever met, where do you want me to start?” 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter