Chapter 16

From A Different Perspective

Dear Seoho,

One week has gone and went. Jangjun finds this spot SO much better than the other one. I'm sitting with him in the boat now, as we're on our way back to the docking spot. We had to get one of those airboat things with the giant fan on the back to even finish today's run. We got so many today that we had to switch boats so the other one wouldn't capsize.

The pack that lives in this section of the swamp let us borrow their boat at least. Jaehwan seems to be on good terms with them. Jangjun is indifferent about it, though I guess being able to access something like this is nice. Jangjun is very serious when it comes to stuff like this, since he had to negotiate half of today's profits to use the boat.

Jay, who is the other pack leader wanted more, but Jangjun wouldn't budge. He was willing to waste the rest of the day to drive all the way back to the center just to process these like 20 or so gators today to finish the last of the tags. We still have about 30 or so left, Jangjun is hoping the rest of our lines have them by the end of the season. Which ends in like 2 days.

I'll update you on whether we finish these tags out or not. Jangjun wants to leave the country as soon as we're done so that we're not stopped by travel restrictions. I'll have to pay for my own ticket again, woo.

I still have a good chunk of money saved up, it's fine

-Keonhee

 

~



Jangjun maneuvered the boat onto the shore, stopping beside the truck that belonged to Jay and his pack. "Well, I see you got the rest," said Jay as he walked over as Jangjun cut the engine, taking off his ear muffs while Keonhee put the journal in his bag before taking off his ear muffs. "Yeah, thanks for letting us use the boat," said Jangjun as he hopped out of the boat.

"Didn't expect to literally be on your property though," said Keonhee. "Well, we weren't hunting anyway," said Jay. "It's just Jake and I," he said as he went to help Keonhee move the alligators into the trailer attached to Jay's truck. Jangjun went to help, making sure to grab their things and put it in the truck bed first before going to help transfer the alligators into Jay's trailer.

"This is your half of the profits," said Jangjun. "Sure," said Jay. Jake walked over, whistling at the amount of alligators in the trailer. "Well, we're definitely making bank after today," he said. "How many more tags you got?" He asked. "About 30," said Jangjun. "I don't know how much Jaehwan has though," he added. "Hm," hummed Jake.

"Well that's it," said Jangjun as he stepped back. "Sweet," said Jay. "Let's go return this haul," he said. "I'll move the air boat back," said Jake as he went to do so. Jay got into his truck while Keonhee and Jangjun got into theirs and Jangjun started the truck, driving off back towards the processing center. Jay followed behind them in his truck, making sure to keep at a decent pace to keep the alligators from falling off the trailer.

 

~



Jaehwan had met them at the processing center, whistling at the two truck loads of alligators. "Half of the profit is my pack's," said Jay as he got out of the truck after parking it. "Sure," said Jaehwan. "Thanks for letting us use your airboat," he said. "No problem," said Jay.

"So is there any reason you're not hunting this season?" Asked Jaehwan as he helped the others bring the alligators over for inspection. "Jungwon's out of the country at the moment, with the others," said Jay. "We wouldn't have much of a team to go off of this year, since Jake and I are here," he said.

"We could always use the extra hand," said Jangjun. "My side has 30 tags left, with two days left in the season," he said. "Split it up between you and I," said Jaehwan. "I'm done on my side," he added. "How many more alligators do you think is left in that part?" Asked Jay. "Enough," said Keonhee as he shrugged. "There's still one big section we haven't gotten to yet, due to almost capsizing our boat," he said.

"The northern side?" Asked Jay as someone walked over to count and measure the alligators, talking with Jaehwan. "Yeah," said Jangjun. "Hm," said Jay. "I can get Jake to help with that section, unless you need to borrow our boat again?" He asked. "I think we'll be fine," said Jangjun. "Jaehwan will help with that," he said. "Okay," said Jay.

 

~



"Okay," said Jangjun as he and Jaehwan met up the next day to plan out the next two days. "We need 15 total today and 15 total tomorrow," he said, grabbing the map. "This area is where we didn't get to yesterday due to almost capsizing our boat and going to borrow Jay's airboat," he said. "I still have lines there, but I'm sure there's still gators in that area," he said. "Just follow me out there and we'll go on both sides of the bank to get to our lines," he said.

"Are you ready?" Asked Keonhee as he looked at Zuho. "Always am," said Zuho as he nodded. "Your method really does work it seems," he hummed.

"If we get any more on the way back we'll grab those," said Jangjun. "If we manage to finish today that'd be great but we'll definitely finish tomorrow," he said.

 

~



"Getting to leave tomorrow would be nice," hummed Jangjun as he drove the boat, heading towards their destination. Jaehwan was a few feet behind them in his boat with Zuho, having a discussion about something that Jangjun or Keonhee couldn't hear.

As they reached the section they were going for Jangjun slowed the boat to let Jaehwan pull up beside him. "This is a rather large section, so we have lines on both sides of the bank," he said. "I don't know if poachers got to this spot or not, since it's private land, but we'll see what happens," he said.

"Get as much as you can," said Jaehwan. "I know you want to leave as early as tomorrow, we may be able to get the rest today, if you say that this spot is as good as you think it is," he said, maneuvering the boat towards the first line on his side. Jangjun went to start on his side, Keonhee standing and going to stand at the end of the boat and holding onto a rope attached to the end of the boat.

 

~



The first few lines were successful, at least on Jangjun and Keonhee's side. They had 4 alligators in their boat, and were only halfway down the river. Jaehwan was doing the same it seemed, and they were on track to get the last alligators on their tags.

Seven

Eight

Nine

Ten alligators.

They got to ten of their lines before reaching the end and turning around in the boat. Jaehwan had also gotten ten alligators. "Can we manage 5 more in these boats?" Asked Jangjun as he killed the engine. "We should be able to," said Jaehwan as he killed the engine to his boat.

"Are you up for throwing hooks in the water?" Asked Jangjun. "That's more your thing," said Jaehwan. "But we can do it," he said. "I'll keep an eye on the water," said Zuho. "You just keep your rifle ready," he said to Jaehwan. "Sure," said Jaehwan.

 

~



They spent the next few hours getting what they needed, shots ringing out a few times as Jaehwan got the last five alligators into his boat. Jangjun managed to get his five and cheered when they got the last one into the boat.

"Let's get these turned in!" Said Jangjun as he started driving the boat back to their docking spot. Jaehwan soon followed after him, Zuho sitting down on one of the alligators with a satisfied sigh.