Chapter 14

From A Different Perspective

Dear Seoho,

I'm back.

Did you miss me?

I doubt it to be honest. I feel decent enough to write again so I asked Jangjun for my journal.

We're in Louisiana right now, in Jaehwan's territory. Apparently Jaehwan needed another pair of people to do alligator hunting. Jangjun is considering it, and I may join in for a cut of the profits.

It seems like something fun to do while we're here.

I'll update you with how many gators we can get within the first day. That should be fun

-Keonhee

 

~



"So you want us to hunt gators with you this season?" Asked Jangjun as Keonhee put his journal away. "I don't have my usual team this year," said Jaehwan. "They're all on missions, it's just Zuho and I," he said. "Every gator you get is your share of the profits," he said, bringing out a map. Keonhee and Jangjun walked over to see where their territory would be in terms of where they were allowed to hunt.

"So this is our area," said Jaehwan as he circled the area with a marker before taking out another map that was more zoomed in and looking at the area they had. "We'll drop off our boats here," he said, pointing to an area. "You have up to here to hunt," he said, marking a line down the river for what looked like a good 5 or 6 miles. "Zuho and I are going the other way," he said, marking it with another colored marker going upstream. "There's a few hidden spots in both areas, and we won't have to worry about poachers," he said.

"If we see them can I kill them?" Asked Jangjun. "The poachers?" Asked Jaehwan. "I only hunt humans, though I haven't hunted since we left New Orleans," said Jangjun. "I guess," hummed Jaehwan. "Just be careful yeah?" He asked. "We don't know when your change will trigger, but the fox 'shifter smell is getting stronger," he said. "Sure," said Jangjun.

"And, the end of your side of the territory is a bridge," said Jaehwan. "With traffic on it," he added. "There's going to be a few along the way near a residential area but as long as we don't bother the humans we should be fine," he said. "My contractor made sure to let them know that I'd have different people with me this year," he said.

"When do we start?" Asked Jangjun. "A week from now," said Jaehwan. "We need to go scout, and make sure the boats are still running," he added. "It'll let you get a feel for the area anyway," he said.

 

~



As Jangjun and Keonhee let the boat go with the current Keonhee was looking for potential spots to hang bait. Tomorrow would begin the hunt, and Jangjun was determined to not use the gun if he could help it, knowing that a tap in one very specific spot on the head with a nail and a hammer would work better than a gun.

"I'll get it into the boat and hold it down," said Jangjun. "You just need to position the nail and hit it as hard as you can," he added. "Got it," said Keonhee.

"Jaehwan rarely asks for outside help, since most of his pack is around this time of year," said Jangjun as he started the boat engine and made a u-turn in the river before heading back upstream when they hit the end of the line.

"Why'd he ask for you?" Asked Keonhee. "Because I'm the only one who can kill these damn things with the best results," said Jangjun. "This is the first year I've done it with someone else though, normally I'm doing it with Jinyoung," he said. "Because normally Jinyoung stays home while the others are on missions," he said. "I see," said Keonhee.

When they reached their drop off point Jaehwan was already there with the truck and trailer backed into the water so all Jangjun had to do was drive the boat onto the trailer.

After making sure the boat was secure Jaehwan drove the trailer out of the water and Jangjun and Keonhee hopped out of the boat. "Any good spots?" Asked Jaehwan. "It looks like a decent area this year," said Jangjun. "We'll see with time I guess," he added. "What about you?" He asked. "I found a good spot further up the river," said Jaehwan.

 

~



Jangjun and Keonhee met up early the next morning to get ready for the official first day, Keonhee drinking coffee as he met Jangjun out on the dock outside Jaehwan's house. Jaehwan was still inside getting ready by packing two small coolers with water for them and then packing another two larger coolers filled with their bait. "Here's the keys," said Jaehwan as he walked over with the coolers and handed Jangjun the keys. Keonhee took the coolers that he and Jangjun would be using and took it over to one of the trucks. Jangjun walked over and helped him load it into the boat before they got into the truck.

After waiting on Jaehwan and Zuho they drove off, following after Jaehwan who was driving the other truck.

"Come back around 5 pm," said Jaehwan as he pushed the boat away from shore. "Sure," said Jangjun. "Good luck," he said. "Same to you," said Jaehwan as he the boat, soon driving upstream. Jangjun did the same, going the opposite direction as Keonhee got everything ready.

 

~



Jangjun was quick to get to the hook and line system as soon as they were in a good spot in the river to start throwing lines at the gators. He cut off the boat engine and they sat in silence, Keonhee ready with a mallet and a spike while Jangjun eyed the water carefully from his spot on the boat.

One gator

Two gators

Three gators

Four gators

Keonhee found himself driving the spike into the 5th alligator's head as Jangjun held it still by the jaws, grunting as Keonhee helped him bring it into the boat. "What time is it?" Asked Keonhee as he sat down onto the drink cooler after downing a bottle of water. "A bit after three," said Jangjun as he went to wash off his hands in the river after tagging the gator.

"Where are we?" Asked Jangjun as Keonhee looked ahead. "We're coming up to the end of the line," said Keonhee as he pointed to the upcoming bridge with cars driving by. "Oh good, I can get a quick hunt in," said Jangjun as he went to sit at the steering wheel of the boat, turning on the ignition and doing a quick u-turn, going back towards where they were docked at.

"Is 5 good for a first day?" Asked Keonhee. "No," said Jangjun. "We'll go and put up some lines for tomorrow to catch more," he said. "This is just a test to see what we have to deal with," he said. "I see," said Keonhee.

"I'm sure that Jaehwan as more," said Jangjun. "I focus more on the size, they bring in more money," he said. "Ah," hummed Keonhee.

 

~



When they got back Jaehwan was also there with the other boat, Zuho having left to go hunting. Jangjun carefully maneuvering the boat onto the trailer before hopping out and securing it before driving the truck forward to get the trailer out of the water.

"How many did you get?" Asked Jaehwan as Keonhee hopped out of the boat. "5," said Keonhee. "Not bad," said Jaehwan. "Come on then, we'll transfer the gators over to my boat and then we'll head over to the spot to turn them in," he said, walking over to the boat and helping Keonhee transfer the gators to the boat Jaehwan was using. Jangjun drove off with the truck he and Keonhee arrived in and Jaehwan and Keonhee left in the other truck to go turn in the alligators.