Eight

The Love Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WINTER'S POV

 

A week passes and it's been pretty normal. Yeji is friendly but sort of distance ever since our conversation about my essays and her liking me. I'm not complaining either, i'd rather stay out of her way.

 

Work has been a , three essays this week along with other organizers and packets. Karina and i have face timed at night even though we are down the hall from each other, we just don't want to disturb our roommates.

 

Karina and I are all good, our one year is coming up faster and faster. I'm still thinking of what i want to do and what i want to buy her. Maybe I can ask Ningning for advice.

 

Ryujin's quiet as always, Karina hasn't told me much about her. There was a party last night because it was friday but Karina didn't go. Her roommate did, which is why I stayed in Karina's room for a while and we studied.

 

Now it's saturday and i just finished my only class today. It went by quick, didn't get any work thank gosh! I don't need anymore work piling on top of what i already have to do.

 

I put the key in the door of my room and open it, Yeji isn't in here yet. I close the door behind me and pull out my phone. Karina had a class earlier so she's been hanging in her room reading a book for a class. I give her a quick text telling her I'm done and if she wanted to meet up.

 

She texted back 'Sorry can't, stay in your room please’ and I looked at my phone confused. Usually she always wants to meet up so we can hang out and why would she tell me to stay in my room?

 

I shrugged it off, texting back 'Okay' and shutting my phone off. I take a seat on my bed and pull out my computer. I leaned my head against the wall, laying in a comfortable position with my laptop on my bed.

 

I decide to give my mom a call so I pick up my phone and do just that. It takes a few rings but she finally picks up. "Sweetie! hey." 

 

"Hi mom, how's everything?" I asked her while i type in my password to my computer.

 

"Oh all is well here. It's lonely without you." she answered and I can just see her pout over the phone. I chuckled.

 

"I'm sure it is. I miss you." I told her, sighing.

 

"I miss you too. How's school and everything?" 

 

"Same old, lots of work but Karina and i get through it." I said and heard her giggle.

 

"That's great..umm." she says quickly and then paused for a second. "I want to tell you something." her words start becoming shaky and i got nervous, sitting up in my bed.

 

"what is it?" I asked sweetly. she doesn't say anything for a moment but i just wait. I bring my hand up to my face and start biting my nails anxiously. "you can tell me anything." I assured her anything she tells me will be okay.

 

"So you know after your father passed, I haven't thought about being with anyone else at all for a long time." she started. My eyes widening hearing her talk about being with someone else except my late father frightens me a little. Of course I want her to be happy but i think that frightens every child.

 

"Yeah," I gulped, wanting her to continue.

 

"Well recently I've been talking to someone and i just don't want you to get mad or think anything will change." she continued. My jaw drops as i cover my mouth with my hand.

 

"Mom you know i wouldn't be mad, you deserve happiness and love." I heard her sniffle as a small cry comes from the phone. "No no, don't cry." I uttered, pouting and closing my eyes. "Who is he? how did you meet?" I asked in a soft tone.

 

"It's not a he, sweetheart." she responded. I gasped unintentionally. Did i just hear my mother say she's not with a man?

 

"It's a she?" I asked, my heart rate speeding up. I heard her started crying more as it sounds like she pulls the phone away from her ear. "Mom listen to me, i don't care who you're with. If it's a man, a woman, anyone. I want you to be happy..heck I'm into girls too, I don't blame you." I laughed a little, hearing her doing the same. She blows her nose over the phone and i waited patiently for her to say something.

 

It's quiet for a few seconds until i heard her speak again. "That's not all." she says quietly.

 

"Calm down, don't cry. We're family, you're my mother. You can tell me anything from the best to the worst." I assured her once again, listening carefully over the phone.

 

The words that came out of next almost caused me to throw my phone as a reaction out of shock. "It's Yizhuo's mother."

 

"What!?" I screamed, slapping my hand my mouth and feeling the stinging pain in my face. My eyes widened as big as golf balls as she sniff again.

 

"Ever since you two left for college, we've been keeping each other company and it just happened." she explained. "I never thought i'd see her anything other than a good friend because you and your bestfriend have been friends forever but we like each other." she says to me, her voice still shaky and hesitant.

 

"Mom I- h-how did-- Aunt Jess?" I stuttered, lost for words. I didn't mean to scream or almost throw my phone but those words at the last thing i expected to hear.

 

"Are you upset with me?" she asks, sadness in her voice. I chuckled, my eyes wandering all over.

 

"No no, I'm just shocked." I told her honestly.

 

"Me too," she says back to me. "this is all new for me but i was thinking of making it official soon. Asking her to be my girlfriend." she says, hope in her voice.

 

"Does Ningning know?" I asked quickly.

 

"She just found out today as well." she replied.

 

"You're my mother, nothing could change that we are family and I support you through everything just like you do for me. I'm happy for you, if all goes well Ningning and I could be sisters." I chuckled nervously but also still shocked. This is all crazy but also exciting.

 

"You're the best Winter," she laughed. "she's really been there for me while you're at college and I've done the same for her." she continues, her voice more calm and collected now. "I'm so relieved you're not mad."

 

"Were you mad when you found out i liked girls?" I asked.

 

"No," she replied sweetly. "never."

 

"So I would never be mad for you loving who you love, no matter who it is."

 

"I love you so much honey." she says. "I can't wait to see you soon."

 

"I can't wait either. I love you mom." i say back, smiling uncontrollably now. "So tell me, you two have kissed?"

 

"Oh no, we are not doing this." she started laughs hysterically as I leaned my back against the wall behind me. My mother likes my best friend's mother. What in the world!

 

"Oh come on." I whined. she keeps laughing.

 

"Yes we have." she says. I gasped in shock again even though in my head i knew they have.

 

"Awwww." I exclaimed happily, grinning to myself. she giggles.

 

"I should go but call me soon, okay?" she asked and i nodded my head.

 

"Absolutely, thank you for telling me." 

 

“Thank you for being the best daughter in the world." she giggled.

 

"Bye mom." I said softly before taking the phone away from my ear and hanging up.

 

I throw my phone on the bed, staring off into space as I think more about that. I remember when i was younger, my mom was deeply in love with my father. Unfortunately, he died of a rare disease when I was about ten. My mother hasn't been with anyone else since. Why would i be mad? Ningning could eventually be my step sister. That would be incredible.

 

I heard the door to the room open as my head snaps towards it. I see Yeji walk in, shutting her door behind her. She gives me a quick smile before dropping her bag and keys near the door.

 

"You have an expression on your face that i cannot make out." she chuckled as she walks over to her bed. she sits down on the edge of it, facing me.

 

"Well my mother just told me some crazy news." I said to her making sure she knows why i may looked like I've just seen a cat with eight legs.

 

"Ahh, how crazy?" she takes off her shoes and throws them to the side. she sits criss cross, looking right at me. "I'm surprised you didn't hear me scream from wherever you were a few minutes ago." I added, watching her eyes widened in a silly way.

 

"So, I take it as really crazy." she says. I nod my head, shaking all my thoughts out of my head. It's starting to all be too much.

 

"My mother and my bestfriend's mother are a thing." I told her, hearing her gasp at me. "I did the same thing!" I pointed at her and she laughed awkwardly.

 

"Really?" she says confused.

 

"Yeah, my father passed away years ago and now she's caught feelings for a good friend of hers."

 

"Oh I'm.. sorry..about your dad." she says quietly. I shrugged, looking away for a moment.

 

"Thank you," I said smiling at her. "this is exciting news though. My bestie and I could be sisters." I raised my arms in a cheering way and started clapping. Yeji giggles, taking a sip of her water bottle o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter