Thirteen

The Love Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KARINA'S POV

 

"Do we really have to go back?" I groan in front of Winter and Ningning. We've already said goodbyes to our parents and we need to be back tonight for classes tomorrow. Christmas break isn't far away.

 

"sadly yes." Ningning buffs, unlocking her car door. I feel Winter wrapping her arm around my back, leaning her head on my shoulder. I kiss her forehead, watching Ningning pull out her phone. "it's getting late. I will text you guys soon, safe travels."

 

"Group hug." Winter opens her other arm, signaling Ningning to come in for a hug. she does, chuckling lightly as we all squeeze each other in a hug.

 

"You two be good. No bull." she points a finger at us. Winter and i look at each other, a smile caching our faces at the same time.

 

"No promises." I mumbled, elbowing my girlfriend as she glares at me. "kidding."

 

"Tell Renjun we said hello." Winter smiles as Ningning nods.

 

"Byebye." she waved, blowing us a kiss next before walking to her car. she gets in, driving away quickly.

 

I turned to Winter, biting the inside of my lip. I bring my hands up to her cheeks, cupping them gently and looking into her eyes. She glares down at my lips, back up to my eyes. I lean in and kiss her, our lips touching with ease. I smiled into the kiss, my hands slipping away from her face and down to her hips. They move more behind her, down.

 

"We need to go." she mumbles, kissing my cheek after pulling away to talk.

 

"It was just a kiss." I smirk at her, my hands trickling down even lower towards her .

 

"We are also outside in the open." she reaches back to grab my hands and move them away. "what's your deal with the outdoors?" she giggles.

 

"The last thing I'm worried about is someone seeing us." I told her honestly. she rolls her eyes, pushing me away.

 

"Let's get back before it gets really late." she walks over to the car, getting in the passenger seat. I whine, knowing shes right, and walk over to the driver's side. I get in, shutting the door.

 

I suddenly hear my phone ringing. I take it out of my pocket and my eyes widen when i see who's calling me. I glance at Winter, who's looking at me.

 

"It's Ryujin." I said. Winter shrugs, nudging her head towards me telling me to answer it. I press the green button and put it up to my ear. 

 

"Speaker!" Winter whisper yells. I did what she told, putting it on speaker and holding the phone in front of my face.

 

"Hello?" I speak up, waiting to see why she called me. she'll see me later tonight.

 

"Karina?"

 

"yeah Ryujin, what's up?" I asked curiously. Winter stares at my phone next to me.

 

"I am so sorry to bother you, i just have no one else to call." she sniffs her nose, her voice cracking. I furrow my eyebrows together.

 

"What's wrong?" glancing at Winter, there is silence for a moment as my eyes wander.

 

"M-my sister..she was supposed to bring me back to school tonight because I didn't drive home but she's didn't." she says.

 

"Why didn't she?" I ask, looking at my phone. It's 7 o'clock.

 

"We got in a huge fight and she cussed me out. She left and no one else is home. I know she's not going to bother to bring me back to school." 

 

I stayed silent for a moment, biting the inside of my cheek. "This whole day has been a disaster. I hate my family. No one ever wants to do anything for me. I'm always forgotten." she explains to me, letting out a choked sob.

 

"Hey listen, it's okay. i..-" I look over at Winter, giving her pleading eyes. she leans back in her seat, giving me those devilish eyes.

 

"I didn't want to ask but my friend farther away is busy and i have no one." she cries. "you don't have to do anything for me. I have classes tomorrow but I'm sorry I called-"

 

"Ryujin, be quiet for a minute. Relax please." i cut her off.

 

"I can't relax when i don't have a single ing family member who gives a for me." she snaps. "I-I'm all alone besides you. if that even counts." she gets quieter as she talks, her voice breaking. I put my head down, feeling bad for me.

 

"send me your address." I said immediately causing Winter to lightly slap my arm, telling me to clearly do something.

 

"Really?" Ryujin asks, hopeful.

 

"Yes of course. I'm on my way." I told her as she lets out a shaky breath over the phone. I started my car, listening closely to hear if shes says anything.

 

"I-I'm sorry for snapping." 

 

"Just send me your address." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

 

"Okay, see you soon." I can sense the smile on her face. I hang up the phone, putting it down in the cup holder.

 

I looked at Winter, seeing a soft look on her face as she looks down at her feet. I expected her to be upset or confused, considering what she thought was going on between my roommate and me.

 

"I'm not mad babe." she tilts her head. "you can't just leave the girl stranded." she brings hand up to my face, cupping my jaw. I lean my chin against her palm, giving her a warm smile.

 

"I love you." I said quietly.

 

"You know I love you." she smiles back at me.

 

I started driving out of the neighborhood as i hand Winter my phone to look at. She opens Ryujin's messages and puts the address she sent in google maps. she helps me with direction, making me swerve a few times because she looked at the last second.

 

About a half hour later, we arrive at her house. Winter shuts off my phone as we both gasp at the house in front of us. I notice Ryujin walking out of the beaten down house with a bag on her back. Her head hanging low. I get out of the car, greeting her as she gets closer.

 

"Hey." I greeted nicely, watching as she walks closer to me. Her heads comes up so I can view her face, her red face with a frown and bags under her eyes. She doesn't say a word as she comes up to me, wrapping her arms around my waist quickly. I'm taken back for a moment before i return the action, wrapping mine around her loosely. she sniff her nose again, fighting back her tears as I pat her back gently.

 

"Lets talk when we get back to school, yeah?" I said as we pulled away. she nods, forcing a smile.

 

"Thank you." she whispers. "I'd be lost without you." she puts her hand on my cheek for a moment before it slides off, leaning me frozen for a second.

 

"Let's go." I choke up, nodding my head at her.

 

We walk over to the car, her getting the backseat and sitting silently as i get back in the driver seat. I put the car in reverse, pulling out of her driveway. I started heading back to school.

 

I notice Winte looking back at Ryujin. "You have a sister?" she asks gently.

 

"Younger sister." Ryujin replied.

 

"Why is she so cruel to you?" she asks another question. I heard Ryujin snicker before answering.

 

"She has been my whole life. She's the favorite so she does whatever she wants." Ryujin says, her tone more sharp now as she talks about her sister. Or maybe it's just because she's talking to Winter and not me.

 

"I'm sorry you have to deal with that." Winter says, making me a smile a little. I'm glad she's trying to be nice to my roommate even though I'm not completely sure if she likes her or not.

 

"Thank you." Ryujin says nicely. Winter turns back forward, turning on the radio quietly. I glance over at her, seeing her already looking at me. She gives me a sweet smile, looking at the road in front of us.

 

No one said anything else on the way back to school. It has gotten dark and when we arrived back, it was pitch black outside. The three of us got out of the car, walking back into the building. Winter and I hold hands on our way up, seeing other people getting back from home at this time as well.

 

We all stop at our room, watching as Ryujin unlocks our door with her key. She looks back at us, walking in and leaving the door open a crack for me.

 

I wrapped my arms around Winter, engulfing her in a big hug as I pick her up off the ground. She giggles, wrapping her arms securely around my neck. I press my lips to hers, pulling her close to me. We pull away and our faces blush lightly.

 

"Sleep well for classes tomorrow." I told her. "I love you." she nods her head.

 

"I love you." she kisses my cheek before waking down the hall to her room. I wave to her before walking into my room, shutting the door behind me.

 

I look at Ryujin sitting on her bed, her head down. Her phone is next to her, lighting up with multiple messages. She looks deep in thought, but that doesn't stop me from going over and sitting next to her on the bed.

 

I hesitantly press my palm to her back as she hurries her head in her hands. She shakes her head, sniffing her nose.

 

"Your sister?" I ask gently, referring to her phone bowing up. she shakes her head, picking up her phone and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter