Chapter 15

All These Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

November 2021, 02:00 AM.

Seoul National University Hospital (SNU Hospital).

***

“Joohyun ...wait”

The girl turned around and tapped her feet impatiently. “What?”

“You need to sleep, I will call....”

“I said I'm okay Jisoo.... I will do the surgery”

“But...”

“Dr. Bae, you have a call from Kang Seulgi”

Joohyun gave a last glance to Jisoo before strutting closer to the receptionist desk

[Yoboseyo...]

[Ya! ...why couldn't I reach you??]

[Unnie...I forgot to charge my phone, sorry]

Joohyun used her shoulder to hold the phone in place while her free hands were busy searching for her patient medical records.

[You haven’t gone home for 2 days straight! Go home now!]

The young doctor ran her index finger over the names, P...Park Junghyun, Park Jongshin, Park Yelim..

[Joohyun, are you listening??]

[*Sigh* Unnie, I can’t. I need to do a surgery in...30 minutes, talk to you later, okay?]

[Joohyun wait...]

She gave the phone back to Mrs.Han, the nurse.on duty.

“Mrs. Han, if my aunt..I mean someone named Kang Seulgi calls again or whoever asks, tell them I will be done by 6:00 AM in the morning and then go home. Thanks”

And then the young doctor hurriedly went to the surgery room with a disapproving stare from her workmate.

**

On the other side of Seoul

“That girl” Seulgi frustratedly said while clutching her phone

“Did she hang up on you again?” asked the woman who was lying beside her

“I thought you were sleeping, baby”

The woman made a cute yawn “Tell me how? when you kept yelling on the phone”

“Aigoo, sorry” Seulgi kissed her forehead

“Nah it’s okay, I'm worried about her too”

“I’m starting to regret my decision to let her take medic, she could be a math teacher” Seulgi shook her head regretfully

“I still don’t understand why she chose to be a doctor, as I remember she likes math”

“Liked Sooyoung-ah, liked. I don’t know since when but now, she despised it to the bones”

Sooyoung held her wife’s hand “I’ll talk to her when she’s home, now let’s sleep. We’ll have a busy day at Moonshot later today”

**

SNU Hospital Lobby, 07:00 AM.

“Joohyun...do you need a ride?” Jisoo popped beside her with a helmet on her hand

“Soo listen” the young girl said in her tired voice “I...have a fiance” she showed the ring on her finger

“I know, and I just want to give you a ride, that’s all” Jisoo pouted sadly “I like you but I know my boundaries...like you’ve said, you have a fiance”

Joohyun contemplated a bit and was about to accept Jisoo’s offer until a sound of car honking startled her, she turned around to find a black Lexus stopped a metre away in front of her.

She knew that car and who was sitting behind the steering wheel.

“Sorry Soo, maybe next time”

Joohyun hurriedly walked to the car leaving a disappointed Jisoo. The girl was Joohyun’s college friend, lab mate and now work mate.

She likes joohyun but unfortunately the latter didn’t share the same feeling.

**

Inside the car

“How did you know?” Joohyun asked once she buckled her seatbelt

“I called the reception desk because I couldn’t reach you at all”

“Sorry, my battery died. Haven’t charged it”

“Always the same reason”

“Then stop asking me everyday”

*sounds of aggressive car honking*

“I’m your fiance, you should report to me about your whereabouts everyday!”

“I was busy and you know I'm always at the hospital! I find it’s unnecessary to report where and what I’m doing”

“I don’t take any stupid excuses Joohyun and I’m still upset that you didn’t accept my proposal”

The young doctor sighed “I told you, oppa. I’m not ready yet”

“I said I don’t take any excuses” her fiance said again, his jaw clenched “We’ll talk about this again later”

Joohyun shut and looked outside the window. Didn’t want to argue anymore because it was pointless arguing with him, he would always want to win no matter how ridiculous his arguments were and she hated it especially when she’s sleep deprived.

Out of all her exes, he was the most controlling one.

Possessive and over jealous.

Joohyun was getting tired of his tantrums and demands over their relationship and it came to the point where she asked herself, do I want to marry him?

Because up until now, she couldn’t find herself saying ‘Yes’ to his marriage proposal.

**

The Kang’s household

“Morning, unnie” Jennie greeted cheerfully before sitting on one of the chair

“Morning, Nini” Sooyoung greeted her back “Apple pie?”

The young teenager grinned “Yes, please!” but her grin soon faded away “Hyun unnie didn't come home again last night?”

Jennie looked sadly at the empty chair beside her, where her sister usually sits

“Yeah” Seulgi huffed while stirring her coffee a bit too aggressively “Might as well move and live at the hospital”

“You don’t mean it, baby” Sooyoung scolded her wife “Joohyun should be here in a moment, I just called SNU hospital and the nurse said she left 20 minutes ago”

“Umma~” a sleepy whine was heard and a small girl peeked her head behind the wall

“Jimin-ah” Sooyoung smiled upon seeing her daughter “Come here”

The 6 years old girl immediately ran clumsily to her mother and embraced her legs. Sooyoung laughed before lifting her up and kissing her chubby cheeks.

“Hi umma’s little girl” Jennie niece

“I’m not little!”

“Sure, only a little girl is lifted by her umma”

Jimin frowned “Umma, put Minnie down, NOW”

“Aigoo, so bossy” Sooyoung giggled and put her only daughter down. Jimin was a blessing to her family. After several failed attempts to find the right donor in the past, they finally have the young girl.

“See, I'm a big girl” Jimin puffed her cheeks

Her young aunt laughed “You’re so cute, Jiminnie” she pinched her puffy cheeks “So how is Hyun unnie going to get back from hospital ...”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter