Enough

Dancing With Our Hands Tied: The Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The old saying time flies never made more sense to Aeri than at the moment she was in. Seated somewhere in the middle of the crowd, contently watching the new batch of graduates from her alma mater.

 

Just a year before she was the one clad in a black gown receiving her own diploma up on the stage. Vividly, she remembered the moments that went by in a span of a year; the last heartbreak coming from her best friend, her plans for abroad getting altered, a Ning Yizhou coming to her life. 

 

Recalling seemed too easy, too fast, but she knew otherwise. To say that it had been a rollercoaster ride of a year for her would be the biggest understatement she would ever hear from anyone.


The sudden eruption of the crowd took Aeri back in the moment. Her eyes focusing on the stage and she immediately understood the reason for the flood of cheers. 

 

The captain was taking her last walk as a student. A well deserved applause from the crowd. She could see Jimin scanning the whole auditorium. A wide splitting grin dashes her face when she saw Minjeong who was sitting at one of the seats upfront while she gestures a few waves of her hand to her parents five rows from the back.

 

The next name from the line was called but Jimin remained standing on the center of the stage leaving the queue on hold. With eyes squinting, Jimin diligently searches for her best friend in the sea of people in front of her. Having known that she was causing a commotion, she did the first thing that struck her mind. 

 

With both hands over , she unabashedly called out her best friend's name as her last resort. Hundreds of heads turned all at once looking for a certain Aeri Uchinaga.

 

As much as Aeri wanted to just blend in the crowd, she was left with no choice but to stand and show herself because Jimin was so determined to spot her that she hasn't moved an inch on the stage causing for the line by the side of stage to get longer every passing second.

 

Aeri was fully aware of the countless pairs of eyes upon her causing her cheeks to heat up. When her gaze met Jimin's, the latter enthusiastically waved her diploma in her direction earning a couple of laughter from the crowd. 

 

Once all of her antics were done, Jimin scans the whole building once more before taking her final bow.

 

 

"Happy graduation!" Aeri greeted Jimin who met her with a bone crushing hug.

 

"You made it." Jimin smiled cheekily at her very much aware of the ruckus that she just caused earlier.

 

Aeri chuckled at the recent memory. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." The smile on Jimin's face widen even more once Aeri handed her the flowers that she got her earlier from a boutique. White roses.

Jimin takes a whiff before clutching it closely on her chest like it was a precious treasure.

 

"Mom is cooking for lunch." Jimin informed her. "Just a little celebration. We would love for you to come."

 

"I don't want trouble, Jimin." Aeri murmurs with both of her hands up like she was defeated.

One of Jimin's eyebrows shoot up in confusion. 

 

"Your girlfriend has been staring at us ever since you got here." Aeri glances to the side where Minjeong was standing doing congratulatory pleasantries with her professors.

 

Jimin chuckled at her best friend's new found humor. "You'll get used to it. Hey you can bring Ningning with you if she's free."

 

"Is Minjeong going to be there? I'd like to know if I should wear some protective gear on just in case."

 

"Yeah she'll be there. Then we'll have a celebratory dinner with her family later."

 

Now it was Aeri's time to wonder. "Meet the parents?"

 

"It's my second time meeting them actually."

 

Guessing by her best friend's voice she could tell that the first time didn't go her way. In fact she wasn't surprised. Minjeong was supposed to be engaged to Yizhou's brother but one thing led to another and here they were. She figured the Kims wouldn't take it lightly since Minjeong was the sole daughter.

 

"They'll love you this time." She said despite of her knowledge of Minjeong's parents. There wasn't any use in trying to warn her since as she said she have already been in their home once. She could only hope for the best for Jimin. In real life family business matters were something she couldn't take cover for Jimin.

 

"I highly doubt that." Jimin answered with certainty. She wasn't naive. "You know how these things work. Being engaged to Ningning and all. Well I'm no Ningning, Aeri."

 

Aeri's heart ache for Jimin because there was some truth in her words. She and Yizhou worked because the circumstances were right. But unfortunately for Jimin, the odds were stacked against her. However she knew that it works both ways too.

 

"You don't have to be her." Aeri tried to reassure her. "Plus it's Minjeong's choice anyway. She definitely knows the implications of being with you yet here you both are."

 

Jimin had just started contemplating on what Aeri had just said when she heard her speak again.

"Hi Minjeong. Congratulations." 

Jimin looks back over shoulder and there was Minjeong slowly approaching them with her diploma on hand.

"I well I better go now to see if Yizhou could make it. I'll see you later then." Aeri bid them goodbye once Minjeong reached them.

 

"Who's Yizhou?" Jimin asked absentmindedly unaware of her fuming girlfriend.

"It's Ningning. Yizhou is her birth name."

 

Her eyes widened in surprise. "Really? I never knew that. I just assumed Ningning was her real name considering that everyone calls her that all the time." 

 

Minjeong couldn't stand the amusement in Jimin's face any second longer so she started to walk back to were Jimin's parents were waiting. The older girl followed closely behind still in shock at the new found information.

 

"Aside from being annoying, you're quite dense most of the time so you not knowing that doesn't even surprise me."

Minjeong's pace quicken that Jimin had to walk double time just keep up with her.

"Wait? Is this about Aeri?"

 

 


"Is it okay to address you as Mr. Jung or do you prefer your given name?" Jia questions the tallest man in the table. All eyes immediately went to the man sitting beside Minjeong.

 

It took him a second longer to answer since he was new to attention. It was his first actual meal with other people given that aside from eating alone, her lady was the only one who he really had the pleasure of sharing a meal with.

 

"Mr. Jung would be just fine if you don't mind." He answered. His voice was raspy due to age.


"That would work." Jimin's father offered him a smile before cutting his steak. "So you've been a butler for how many years now? Is it okay to ask this?" His eyes wondering on Jimin and Minjeong unsure if he was crossing a line.

 

"Sure. I've been serving the Kim's for almost three decades now.

 

"Wow that's impressive." Aeri who sitting beside Jia couldn't hide her admiration for the man being aware that having been in service for that long must have meant that the Kims trusted him with their life. "Also that means you've known Minjeong ever since she was a baby right?"

"Yes. Well technically ever since she was conceived because I was also Mrs. Kim's personal body guard before."

Aeri hummed in understanding. "You're like his uncle then."

 

The statement caught Mr. Jung off guard. Surely he have treated Minjeong and Minju like real family. Well they both were the only family he ever came to know since he have devoted his life in keeping the siblings away from any harm.

 

"If my lady allows it then yes." 

 

Minjeong didn't flinch, argue or protest. The man has been more than a father to him countless of times ever since she could remember. He was certainly there when she was brought to the world, when she first uttered her first word. He was even the one who taught her how to ride a bike and drive a car.

 

She knew that without any words, Mr. Jung knew how deeply she regarded him.

 

 

"How about you Aeri?" Jia then on switched her question to the one sitting beside her. "Jimin have told me that you already have a girlfriend."

"Tattle tale." Aeri murmurs but Jimin only stuck out her tongue at her.

With a satisfied smile on her face, Aeri clarified her current relationship status. "Well she's already my fiancé auntie."

 

"Oh! Congratulations dear. We would love to meet her."

 

"Jimin did asked me earlier to bring her but she's quite occupied for the whole day." She explained the situation as to not leave a bad impression on Yizhou.

As usual, Jia was understanding. "Next time then?"

 

"Sure. I'd be glad for you to meet her too." Aeri assured her, eyes beaming with excitement.

 

"By the way, are you going continue your pursuit of higher education in the states? You've talked about it before and I just remembered." It was Jimin's father's turn to ask the question.

Aeri thought of it for a while trying to piece her words in her mind. "I'm not dismissing it. But currently my priorities are...well how do I put it? I was put in charge of our firm so that would have wait I think until after the wedding."

 

"You're getting married?!" Jia exclaimed like she just didn't hear Aeri said that she already has a ring on her finger.

 

Mr. Yoo reached for his wife's hand across the table. "Honey, she's engaged. She just talked about it." 

 

"Mom, they're that serious." Jimin added as she put another spoonful of salad onto Minjeong's plate. "Aeri's really getting tied down. My guess is after Ningning's graduation? Some time next year?"

 

Jia look a bit winded by the news. "I need to catch up a lot with Kate then." 

 

"I'll tell mom so we could have dinner by then. And if time permits, my fiancé should be present t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter