The J Word

Dancing With Our Hands Tied: The Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The whirring sound of the air conditioner together with the incessant flipping of pages filled the student council's office. The crisp air inside rotated the all too familiar walls occupied by almost the same officers as last year save for two or three students who replaced the seniors that graduated.

 

Claire, the newly elected president sits besides Minjeong where Aeri used to reside. It shouldn't bother Minjeong that there's a new person sitting beside her if only Claire wasn't so clumsy with her things and a little too loud in casual exchanges. How she wished Aeri was still in position.

 

A series of loud knocks on the door rippled across the whole room breaking the silence of the atmosphere. A few seconds later the wooden door spits out a newly showered Jimin with her hair still damp from the water. A few droplets gliding down on her neck as she cranes her head to check who was inside the room.

 

Claire enthusiastically stands up from her spot and speaks a little too cheerfully, "Ah Jimin! Come on, have a seat." She smiles upon pointing to the chair in front of her table.

 

"I'm guessing you already know why you're here?" The president starts once Jimin was comfortably seated just right in front of her.

 

Jimin looks around the room to try and get a clue on why she was called in the first place. Her gaze falls to Minjeong who was currently occupied by a bunch of papers on her desk seemingly unaware of her situation. Not wanting to get caught staring for too long at the vice president, Jimin quickly answers the question. "Not the slightest idea."

 

Claire hums ever so softly before continuing, "Really? Coach Kwon talked to me yesterday regarding your athletic and academic performance." She responded to the captain who seemed to forgot that she has rules and conditions to follow. Claire reaches for the notebook inside her drawer and flipped through the pages. Her eyes scanning the details that she jotted down yesterday from her talk with Coach Kwon. "It seems that you have been missing quite some practices lately." She informs the captain as her finger traces the ink sprawled across her notebook.

 

"I think I do deserve some rest, Claire. I mean I'm—" Jimin tries to clarify her actions but Claire was quick to counter her response as if she was already expecting this kind of excuse from her.

 

"By some I meant a lot. And according to Ningning's record of the swimming team's recent grades, yours are unusually low this year." The president firmly stated as she closes her notebook. Having accepted defeat, Jimin found it easier to admit her shortcomings rather than make up excuses to avoid the problem. But before she could open , Claire was already thinking of ways to solve the situation at hand when she asked, "So what do we do about it?" Her eyes giving warmth as she looks at her while waiting for her answer.

 

Thinking that Jimin was holding back because there were other officers in the room, Claire was sharp to remind Jimin that everything that goes in the room will remain confidential by saying, "You need not to worry about anything inside this office, Jimin. We practice outmost privacy inside this space. What goes in here, stays in here. Again, do you have any suggestion on how to solve the issue?" There goes again her wide smile and glistening eyes as she awaits for Jimin's answer. 

 

When Jimin didn't had a proper answer for her, Claire once again reminded Jimin as to why she was called in the the first place to emphasize the gravity of the situation. "Coach Kwon talked to me in hopes to resolve the problem so it wouldn't be passed onto the higher office." Having thought that Jimin was a having a hard time on finding a remedial with the problem, Claire took it to herself to recommend a possible solution to the problem. "Regarding with academic scores, I would suggest a tutoring session." She offered Jimin with a wide smile plastered on her face.

 

Jimin's eyes instantly glance sideways towards the table of the vice president. Minjeong was calm as always whenever she is in school. She's writing down something on her notebook without missing a beat. 

 

"I think that wouldn't be a good idea." Jimin answered automatically. She was certain that Minjeong wouldn't like it the slightest bit. The calm demeanor of the younger girl amidst the conversation was already a telltale sign for Jimin to not engage with Claire's offer.

 

"No, it's totally okay with me. My schedule this semester isn't too tight." Claire tried to insist as she leans forward her desk.

 

If Minjeong wasn't in the picture, Jimin would have grabbed this chance with Claire in a heartbeat. Especially when the latter was offering herself already. "I mean for me. It wouldn't work, Claire. I'll just study harder. Yeah I'll put more work into it." Jimin once again turned down the offer as kindly as she could.

 

It seemed like Claire got the memo when she nodded a little before adjusting her seat. She have been rejected twice in the presence of her co-officers and she didn't want to go further than that. "Okay then. How about your practices? Do you need to fix up your schedule? You know that competition week is almost here." Claire diverted the conversation to Jimin's relief.

 

Fearing that Claire would again suggest something that could bring her to trouble with Minjeong, Jimin took it upon herself to fix her own problem. "Yeah I'll get to that one too. Sorry for the commotion that I've started."

 

"Don't mention it. Ningning will just keep in track with you and the rest of the swimming team since she's the one appointed to check all of your progress."

 

And with that, Jimin stands up from the chair and bids good bye to the president. "I'll be going now. Thank you, Claire." 

 

Before Jimin could even grab the door handle, the sound of Claire's voice filled the room. "Sure, Jimin. Don't hesitate to call me or visit the office if you have any questions or concerns." Her cheery voice rang in Jimin's ears forcing her to look back and smile in return.

 

 

 

"You're no way going near Claire. No texts, no calls and whatsoever." The hasn't shut close behind Jimin when the sharp voice of the vice president sitting on top of the desk in front of the room echoed in her ears. Jimin made an act of yawning and stretching up her arms as she walks slowly towards the seething younger girl. "And I thought your text was about emergency . Bummer."

 

"I'm serious." Minjeong dead pan answered.

 

Once Jimin reaches the table Minjeong was sitting on, she grabs the younger girl's legs and eases her way in between. "So am I." She mutters with her head cocked in one side. "I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter