Not Tonight

Dancing With Our Hands Tied: The Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Breathe in, breathe out.

Jimin thought to herself over and over as she stand there on her spot on the side of the pool. She have competed in the same category for the last five years that this one shouldn't be any different. The same cheers have filled her ears every single time that the sound should have been similar as well. 

 

But somehow she knew that out of all the matches that she have competed in, this particular match is one of the most important. Not only was it her last match in their university, it was also the deciding one whether they retain the championship or not. 

 

And to top it all off, everyone was watching.

 

Everyone.

 

Her parents were there as they always have been since the beginning. Aeri who was sitting beside her parents didn't miss the chance to watch her last match either. Even taking time off her work just because she wanted to support her. 

 

The whole team's eyes were on her of course. Especially Coach Kwon who didn't forgot to mention that the University President was present to watch her in particular.

 

Everyone was watching. 

 

Minjeong was sitting in the front row that she easily spotted her once she got out of the shower room. It only bummed her that she didn't get the chance to talk to her since it was Ningning who was in charge this year over the swimming team so walking up to her in front of the crowd would raise questions. Fleeting glances and an exchange of nods were the only form of communication they had once the first match started.

 

Everyone was watching. Everyone.

 

Jimin didn't miss that face. She couldn't forget it even if she tried. The stoic face that stared at her that one time that she met her. She quickly glances around to see if she was with her husband and to her relief she was not. Once their eyes met, Jimin instantly bows her head and gave Minjeong's mother a small smile before turning on her way to huddle with her teammates.

 

This is the match that she couldn't afford to lose.

 

 

It was quick. No more than fifteen seconds after the whistle blew, one after the other the swimmers emerge from the water. Loud chants and celebrations were heard as the judges confirm the winners. But even before the announcement, Jimin already knew the result. She knew it in herself that she wasn't the first one to reach the line. Nor was she the second.

 

Once she completely pulled herself out of the water, she almost run towards the shower room and away from the eyes that she knew were staring at her. She couldn't even spare a glance at the crowd knowing that she failed to bag the championship in front of everyone.

 

 

 

"You should stop sending your driver. I can drive for myself." The voice which suddenly became too familiar with Aeri rung in her ears just as when about she was to get inside her car. For a minute she thought that she have successfully managed to slip in the university without having to bump into her fiancé but she apparently thought wrong.

 

Aeri slowly turned towards the direction of the sound of the voice and alas there was Yizhou standing just right behind her. "Yeah about that—" She started but the younger girl beat her to it.

 

"I knew you'd be here." Yizhou was certain that Aeri would come to watch Jimin compete and the older girl surely didn't let her down as she stands there in the parking lot in front of her.

 

"You've been avoiding me." She added. She might be younger than Aeri but she wasn't naive. From the second that she saw a driver instead of Aeri on their driveway she knew then that she wouldn't be hearing from her fiancé anytime soon. And boy was she right.

 

No calls, no messages, no house dinners, no everything. Just a driver. The same driver has been waiting for her for almost a week to her to the university to and fro but she insisted on using her car instead. Because as far as Yizhou remembers, Aeri told her that she herself would do the deed and not some driver from their company.

 

"Ah that? I've been busy these last few days." 

 

Yizhou can't help but to roll her eyes at Aeri who's still wearing her suit from her office giving away that she clearly went straight to the pool area as soon as she stepped out of their building.

 

Complete bull, Yizhou wanted to say but she caught the words before it slips out of .

 

"I expected a much better excuse from you." She answers instead with disappointment in her voice.

 

With her hands tucked inside her pockets, her eyes glued to her shoes, Aeri stood there as silent as a mute which irritated Yizhou each passing second.

 

"Was the kiss that bad?" Yizhou started again. It's not like she wants confrontations and arguments. She's had enough of that at home. All she wants is to get this over with so it would stop bothering her.

 

"Trust me I could do much better." She stated confidently with her arms crossed over her chest while standing mightily in front of Aeri.

 

She then put her left hand just over and let out a breath. "Did my breath stink?" She asked after getting a whiff of her hand.

 

Aeri opens as if she was about to say something then in the last minute she hesitates and finds her lips sealed tight once again. She then exhales loudly like she was about to finally answer only to end up watching the ground once more.

 

Yizhou wanted to stomp her feet, pull out her hair in irritation at the lack of response from Aeri but decided against it. She surely wouldn't want to look like a kid having a tantrum in the middle of the parking lot in front of her fiancé.

 

Instead she pinches the bridge of her nose and closes her eyes to keep the tiniest drop of patience she had at the moment before simultaneously opening her eyes and letting out a huge air of breath. "I could never understand how you could easily say in my face that you delayed your plans because of our engagement then cower

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter