Nausea

Perfect Nurse

A week passed, and HyeSoo had her multiple tests taken. It would take a day or two for them to go through. They had put her on high priority because of the way her health seemed to be spiraling. She was pale, not quite feverish, but bruising far more easily than ever before. 

 
The next morning, the family of three sat at the table together.
 
Unlike usual, her mother didn't start any conversations. Her father just paged through bills that had come in the mail. Hospital. Letter. Hospital. Hospital. Letter. Letter. Letter. Letter. Hospital. He was adding up the money. The number seemed pretty high.
 
HyeSoo took very little notice, however, and just ate her cereal and toast quietly. She was too tired to really care. The teenager trudged up the stairs to her bedroom to get ready for school. Before she knew it, she'd somehow fallen asleep halfway on her bed.
 
HyeSoo returned to school the next day, and the symptoms persisted. 
 
She was sent to the infirmary multiple times to rest. As usual, seemingly everyone was extremely supportive.
 
The next day, however, quite a few people had been treating her strangely. She was receiving harsh glares and she got the feeling that the whispers they said as they walked by were about her.
 
Before school, MinWoo and HyeSoo roamed the halls hand in hand. She found herself avoiding his gaze. 
 
"I feel like you've been lying to me about the results last week. Everything was average? You're getting your new test results back today, right?"
 
HyeSoo's eyes widened in surprise, "O-of course." She tried to lie strongly, but ended up stuttering.
 
Not convinced, MinWoo eyed her suspiciously. He squeezed her hand, "You seem more tired lately."
 
HyeSoo slipped free of his grasp and smiled, "I'm fine! Just a little gassed, that's all." She didn't dare mention the aching in her bones, the shortness of breath, the constant nausea. He reached for her hand again.
 
"Why can't you tell me what's going on?" 
 
HyeSoo's heart stopped momentarily when he met her gaze with hurt eyes, making a pouting face.
 
"MinWoo oppa!"
 
HyeSoo looked to the side to see a group of young ladies trailing them. Her boyfriend's grip on her hand tightened.
 
These were all girls that she'd never spoken much to. What did they want with MinWoo?
 
Kindly, she smiled and waved. They looked at her with disdain. Then their eyes turned to MinWoo.
 
"Why are you still dating her, oppa?"
 
"The rich doesn't have her father's money protecting her now."
 
"Maybe even he's given up on her."
 
The girls laughed cruelly at the last statement. 
 
"My father told me they'd run out of bribe money soon, who'd've thought it would happen so suddenly?"
 
"I hear Miss Sicky is getting worse and her family can't pay the bills." 
 
"She's driving her family into bankruptcy."
 
MinWoo ignored them and tugged at HyeSoo, "Come on, let's go."
 
As the couple walked away, the girls continued to jeer them.
 
"MinWoo oppa we'll wait for you. Sooner or later her dad will stop paying your family, too."
 
HyeSoo couldn't understand what they were talking about. 
 
She looked up at MinWoo, not believing what they were implying.
 
Her father had been paying everyone.. to like her?