Outting

Perfect Nurse

HyeSoo danced around her room, letting her dress flare around her. Today was the day- her birthday picnic. MinWoo would be here any moment! She adjusted her hair, making sure it framed her face just the way she wanted it to. HyeSoo had only heard his voice over the phone since the day that he’d argued with MinWoo. She was looking forward to seeing her sweetheart’s face one again.

They would take a lunch, sit under a tree, snuggle and hug. He would comment on how pale she was and watch her with concerned, loving eyes. He would realize how close she was to dying, and he would finally visit her more often. She knew she was being selfish, but she was happy at the thought of him being around more.

HyeSoo was still thinking, wistfully looking at the small window high on her wall, when MinWoo entered her room. His face was slightly glum and he was holding his phone as far away from him as possible, it only in his grasp by two fingers. “Your boyfriend wants to talk to you.”

HyeSoo grinned and shuffled over to her nurse, shyly taking the phone and speaking into it, “MinWoo oppa?” MinWoo cringed inwardly at how her voice changed- especially the added extra aegyo. “What? You can’t come?” HyeSoo’s smile fell and was quickly replaced with a disappointed frown and slightly teary eyes, “Arasso. Some other time... Annyeong.” HyeSoo moved the phone away from her face, pressed the red phone, and sighed with a cracking voice.

MinWoo wanted to let her know that he was there for her, but no matter how much he wished he could give her hugs or tell her comforting words, he couldn’t. So, instead, with a uninterested voice he asked calmly, “Can’t come?” His heart reached out to the poor girl when she nodded, eyes staring at the ground. Almost melting with pity, he patted her arm and cooed, “I know I’m not as good as the kid, but, if you’re willing, I’ll take you out on that picnic. No one deserves to be cooped up here on their birthday.”

At the thought of still going out, HyeSoo’s expression brightened. “Really? You’d do that?”

MinWoo wanted to hide from the admiring look she gave him. It made his insides flutter. “Yeah, of course, when have I not kept my word?” He flashed her a brief bright smile, letting it drop quickly as he shoved his hands coolly into his pockets. “Let me see if I can take off. Do you have any food?”

HyeSoo’s eyes widened and she bit her lip nervously, shaking her head. “No... MinWoo was going to bring the food.”

MinWoo sighed and then shook his head, “Alright, I’ll be back in twenty.” And so he was. Before a half an hour had passed, the pair was climbing into a taxi heading to a close local park. HyeSoo held a basket of food in her lap, and MinWoo stared out the windows with black shades covering much of his upper face.

The two sat, ate, and chatted underneath a tree that afternoon. MinWoo smiled more than HyeSoo had ever seen him smile before, and HyeSoo’s thoughts of her death faded from existence. For a while, she even forgot her disappointment at her boyfriend’s failure to celebrate her birthday with her.

----

The two returned to the hospital mid-afternoon early evening. MinWoo had planned on staying out longer, but as the day wore on, HyeSoo’s condition declined. Though she wore a bright smile on her face as they trekked towards the hospital entrance from the cab, it was obvious that she was in a poor state.

As soon as they were out of sight of the main desk, MinWoo practically swept his patient up in his arms, insisting on carrying her bridal style to her her room. Unable the sway his stubborn mind, all HyeSoo could do was laugh and enjoy the special treatment. Just as they stepped through the door to her room, she planted a quick peck on his cheek in thanks for the day, “This really was a great birthday, thanks to you.” For a brief moment, she saw him smile back at her, but almost too quickly his eyes grew cold and his grip on her tightened. Concernedly, she followed followed his gaze and found two very familiar men.

A handsome MinWoo stood in a suit holding flowers, bearing an all too heartbreaking expression. His mouth was set in a straight line, but his large eyes told of the confirmed suspicion and betrayal. Next to him stood an older man with watery eyes and a sorrowful expression of apology.

MinWoo wasn’t quite sure what to do. Neither he nor HyeSoo had done anything wrong, but MinWoo was looking at him with such accusing eyes that he almost felt guilty. The older man looked familiar, but-

HyeSoo suddenly struggled in his arms, interrupting his thoughts with a strangled voice, “Put me down.” MinWoo obliged, but held her shoulders to keep her steady.

“HyeSoo-ah...”

The voice of the middle-aged man was familiar as well, but MinWoo couldn’t quite place where it was from.

“Appa. Why are you here?”

MinWoo’s brow furrowed, his eyes flitting from the finely dressed MinWoo and the man. This was the same Mr. Song? How he had changed in three months.

MinWoo-ah... He... brought me here. For your birthday. Where were you all day? With him?”

MinWoo stood firm under the harsh gaze of HyeSoo’s father. The one who abandoned her. The coward. The reason HyeSoo had been left practically alone. He didn’t deserve her. For a split second, he had the urge to tell him so, but he kept his mouth shut as HyeSoo responded.

MinWoo...? Is this why you couldn’t come this morning?”

Her boyfriend met her eyes unabashedly and nodded, “I was planning to meet you.. but I got some information on your father. I didn’t know how long it would take and wanted to surprise you, but when we got here you were gone...” His voice trailed, and he looked at the floor.

HyeSoo shook her head in confusion, not grasping the entire situation. Before she could think anything over, her father stepped forward and enveloped her in a longing hug. “I’m so sorry, HyeSoo. I’m so sorry...”