Realization

Perfect Nurse

The pair returned to the hospital around eight o’clock in the evening. HyeSoo was still pale, but she had stopped coughing, so she was showing better signs. MinWoo ended up carrying her down the stairs to the lower level where her room, an actual storage room, was. He hadn’t wanted to wake her up. When he set her in her bed and she still didn’t wake, MinWoo hoped that it was just from exhaustion that she didn’t open her eyes.

After tucking his patient in, MinWoo left the room, trying to close the door as quietly and slowly as possible. The nurse almost jumped when he heard a voice murmur darkly, “Where were you guys? She doesn’t look good. At all.”

MinWoo met eyes with HyeSoo’s boyfriend. He was leaning unhappily against the wall, his eyes narrowed and his arms crossed. The nurse shrugged, “Out for a lil fun.”

MinWoo’s brow furrowed, “A little fun? Why would you take her? She’s my girlfriend-”

“You’re too busy running around making money for a hopeless cause. She needs someone, and, besides, you do realize that she’s been in that same room for almost a month and a half, right?” The nurse seemed completely unaffected by MinWoo’s nervous words. “Why? Jealous?”

The younger man ignored the final taunting words, “I heard it all from the other nurses. You two are the gossip of the hospital.” MinWoo left the wall and poked the bigger man menacingly in the chest, “You took off work today to- to take her to an amusement park. She's not even an official patient here. Do you know how dangerous that is? She could die!” His voice slowly rose as he spoke.

MinWoo brushed the boyfriend’s hand off of him and responded in an equally loud voice, his patience waning, “It’s something she’s always wanted!”

“Think about her health! Look how bad she is right now-”

“She’s going to die in a month and a half anyway! It doesn’t matter!” MinWoo was just below shouting. “You’re making it very difficult to let her have a happy rest of her life.”

MinWoo looked the nurse in the eyes, unnerving the other man with just how much sincerity and hate lurked beneath his pretty face, “HyeSoo’s not going to die. I won’t let her.”

“We’ll see, pretty boy.” With that, the nurse walked away, leaving an unsettled boyfriend and a shocked patient behind.

---------------

HyeSoo opened her eyes slowly, awoken by the noise outside. She glanced at the door, noting that it had been left open. She pouted slightly, upset that she’d be disturbed from her peaceful sleep.

Ready to take action, she sat up in her bed, considering what the best way to get over to the door would be. Eventually, she slid out of her bed and began crawling on the floor. She froze when she could clearly hear what the voices outside were saying.

“You took off work today to- to take her to an amusement park." It was her boyfriend. Instantly a prick of guilt poked at her. He wasn’t jealous was he? He hadn't visited her in a while. HyeSoo figured she had the right to go out and have a little fun. "She's not even an official patient here!" What was he talking about? HyeSoo would have sat there pondering that question, but the next line caught her off guard. "
Do you know how dangerous that is? She could die!” She could die? HyeSoo’s brow furrowed in confusion.

The responding voice was her nurse, somewhat defending himself. The conversation went on and HyeSoo listened silently.

“She’s going to die in a month and a half anyway!”

HyeSoo stared wide-eyed at the slightly open door. What? Her heart sank, dragging her stomach with her. Not a few years but a month and a half? What was all of this about? She strained to listen to the rest of the exchange, trying to get an explanation. Their voices suddenly sank to low murmurs.

In the absence of noise, her mind swam with ideas. She thought about her condition that day, how everything was spiraling downward. Slowly, everything began to piece together. The lack of visitors. The lack of care. The restriction. A wave of realization crashed over her, threatening to pull her under. 

Her mind flashed to her first few weeks in the hospital. Her lifeless attitude, her empty days.

She wouldn't be like that. Not again.

The boys outside grew completely quiet. In the back of her mind, she assured herself that the little tiff was over- but that didn’t matter. She was focused on relaxing and reprioritizing herself. HyeSoo was swimming against the ocean current, and she wouldn't give up. 


Extremely short chapter. Sorry ^^" I'm focusing a bit more on my other fics. XD Just wanted to show you guys I'm still alive. *happy dance- Umm... this was the scene that actually have been envisioning this ENTIRE time I've been writing this fic. This was supposed to be the super emotional, super intense, REALLY REALLY heartbreaking scene.

Unfortunately.. I lost interest before I got to write it so now it's crap. T_T