Bipolar Nurse & Paranoid Patient

Perfect Nurse

 

HyeSoo woke the next morning neatly tucked into her bed. For a brief moment, she wondered if it was her nurse that had found her asleep next to the alter and carried her to her proper resting place. She quickly shook off that notion when she found an envelope neatly placed on her covers labeled "HyeSoo-ah." 

It was her boyfriend's handwriting.

Eagerly, she opened the envelope and read the letter inside.

Dear HyeSoo-ah,

I'm sorry that I couldn't, or rather.. didn't, say this to you in person. I intended to last night or this morning, but I couldn't bring myself to wake you before I had to leave.

You asked last night as you were falling asleep why I had only brought pictures of your mother and none of your father. I'm sure you don't remember this as forgetting things that happen while you're tired is one of your many cute quirks, kekeke. But still, I think you deserve an answer.

Your father is... not dead. I'm sorry for not telling you immediately. I was asked to keep this a secret, but I think you deserve to know at least this.

I'm afraid I won't be around as much. I'm absolutely determined to find your father and bring him back to you. I'm sure you have many things you'd like to ask him. In addition, I am in deep need of funding due to the health situation of someone very dear to my heart, so I am planning on taking up a few part time jobs.

It won't be long, six weeks at the most.... I have to have the money by then. I have to.

Please be understanding!

Your loving boyfriend, Minwoo.

HyeSoo calmly folded the letter back into its original state, soaking in all that MinWoo had essentially told her in this letter. He'd lied. Her nurse had lied. Her father was alive, and her boyfriend was too busy helping someone else to visit her.

Before she knew it, the letter was close to destruction in her clenched fist.

"Well, you're looking like sunshine again today."

HyeSoo quickly slid the letter underneath her pillow, forcing a smile as she faced the direction of the familiar voice.

MinWoo was standing in the doorway holding a tray of food- her late breakfast. One eyebrow was raised in what could be considered either confusion or amusement.

"Your mood is never the same, Song HyeSoo." He walked over to her and set the tray on her lap, meeting her gaze coolly. "Did that kid do something to upset you?"

Kid? Oh, he meant MinWooHyeSoo searched her mind for an excuse. Unable to find one, she decided to change the subject, "No, I've just been wondering..." MinWoo looked at her with bright, curious eyes, no remorse visible to her in the darker depths. Immediately HyeSoo's earlier anger at the two boys was rekindled. "How exactly did my parents die?"

MinWoo averted his gaze for a moment. "Are you sure you want to know?"

HyeSoo tried to keep her voice calm, "Yes, I'm quite sure."

"Your father went out to drink. Your mother followed.. and on their way home they were involved in a car crash." He met her eyes apologetically. What an actor!

She decided to give him one last chance to come clean, "And they both died?" 

MinWoo nodded.

"Yah!" HyeSoo's voice was weak with disbelief. How could he sit there and lie to her with such a straight face? "How can you still say that?" She began to push him away, but her weak body didn't move him in the least. "First you don't tell me about them being dead, and then you lie about who is dead! I know my father is alive!"

MinWoo looked shocked. After a moment, it struck him, "The kid told? Did he tell you anything else?"

HyeSoo glared at him, the gloomy look she'd had on their first meeting making its second appearance, "What else are you hiding from me? What kind of hospital doesn't even tell someone when their family member is deceased!?"

MinWoo drew in a breath slowly and exhaled even more so. He'd been prepared for this. Now over his surprise, he listened calmly to HyeSoo's complaints.

"I haven't been getting proper meals, and I haven't had my condition checked in nearly a week! What if I told you I was coughing up blood nowadays? Huh?" She gave him a violent shove, succeeding in budging him minutely. "Get off my bed!" 

Not willing to argue, MinWoo sighed and stood to his feet, still watching HyeSoo fume.

As she continued, the severity of her words lessened. Both of them could tell that HyeSoo, no matter how angry she had been when she had started, was on the verge of laughing.

MinWoo tried to hide his smirk. Was it just him seeing things? Or was she actually pretty cute when she was angry?

"You'd make a horrible nurse! I hope you fail your exams and drop out and never take care of anyone else and-!"

MinWoo's smirk suddenly fell, and HyeSoo faltered.

She'd meant for it to be her conclusion. A quick little line before they both laughed it over together- even though it obviously wasn't a laughing matter. For some reason, she simply couldn't stay angry.

But now it seemed like MinWoo was the one that was upset. The soft look that she'd noticed he had been giving her faded into his usual cold, judgemental stare.

He bowed deeply and murmured, "If you're finished, I'll take my leave."

With that, he exited the room, leaving HyeSoo with nothing but her already cold food.

Scrunching her nose agitatedly while poking her food with a chopstick, she pouted, "What's with him? I'm the one that should be angry here.."