Heart Palpitation

Perfect Nurse

"HyoYeon-ah!" HyeSoo feebly raised her hand, greeting her best friend as she entered the room.

 
When the ginger saw her gesture, her eyes quickly flitted from HyeSoo to the other girls in the classroom. She dipped her head in weak acknowledgement and joined the crowd of unaccepting girls. 
 
HyeSoo watched, heartbroken, wondering whether HyoYeon too had only befriended her because of money as the other girls had said. Momentarily, she felt a strong resentment towards her father. What would cause him to think it was necessary to pay all these people? It just didn't make sense. Their family wasn't overly wealthy either... 
 
At this, the girls' words resounded through her head. That rich ... 
 
A small tear came to her eyes.
 
Why were they all treating her like this, even if they were bribed in the first place? Surely one of them had actually liked her for her...
 
Thoughts like those sped through her mind throughout the day. For once, she was actually thankful when the now familiar circle of black closed in on her vision.
 
~~~
 
HyeSoo's eyes fluttered open. Her hands brushed against the soft white sheets she was so used to. So, they'd taken her to the hospital?  
 
She gazed up at the ceiling, purposefully distracting herself from all that'd happened to her lately. The white. It was so boring. Is this why they make those crazy rooms yellow? To keep the patients interested?
 
HyeSoo heard voices approaching. "She needs what?"
 
Immediately upon hearing the upset tone, she closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, imitating a person asleep.
 
"What's the chance that she'll live?" Her mother's voice was shaky, but loud.
 
She was unable to hear the response.
 
"We can't afford that," her father said defeatedly. "Our money reserves are gone... We were told that..." He cleared his throat, "That HyeSoo would have passed on much sooner-."
 
"Honey!" HyeSoo's mother cut him off. 
 
HyeSoo wasn't sure if she'd heard him right. Was he implying that the fact that she was still living was... misfortunate?
 
Tears welled up in her eyes.
 
This was her father she was talking about. Surely he hadn't said something like that.
 
"We've been paying for transfusions and her school... and her friends... and her grades all these years. We did that just so that her short life could be lived well! We were told she'd only last a few years, then twenty, then fourty. They said our bills were going to go down, that she wouldn't need as much medical attention. Now? Now what does she have? Even if we pay for therapy, it's not worth it. Was any of it worth it?"
 
HyeSoo's heart skipped a beat, and then her brain seemingly shut down. She didn't want to listen anymore.
 
"Sir, I don't-" Her doctor.
 
"Don't listen to him, he's just distraught. We're very thankful that our baby is still alive."
 
"Our baby? She's not even our child! I agreed to adopt a healthy baby, not one that would drive us to the door of poverty!" 
 
From the fading footsteps, HyeSoo deemed that her father had walked off.
 
"Miss Song, I know it's not my business, but HyeSoo has lived sixteen good years. You can be angry at what time you didn’t get with her, or you can be grateful for the time you had with her.** You two should think about that." 
 
Footsteps again.
 
"And Miss Song, I really am truly sorry."
 
Her doctor left.
 
HyeSoo finally let the tears escape when she heard her mother sob, "HyeSoo-ah..."

SLDSKFSLDJF Awwwww... Thank you guys SO much for your support. T-T I just feel bad that the introduction is /still/ going on. It's almost over! I promise! Just two more /very/ short chapters!

I'm sorry I haven't been responding to comments. c.c I've been very busy with school and kinda frustrated with the AsianFanfic issue. *almost stopped writing the story- 

Again! Thank you soooooooo much. Your comments make my day!

**Line from a Christian movie "Courageous"