Grievance

Perfect Nurse

The next day, MinWoo stopped by her room like always. He didn’t give a hint of the argument he had had with MinWoo the past night. With the same small smirk that always played on his lips, he checked HyeSoo’s pulse and temperature- all things that HyeSoo now knew were just done to make her less suspicious of his lies.

Unlike the way she had been before, she wasn’t bitter. She acted along, occasionally returning his sarcastic remarks with her own. Just when he was about to leave, HyeSoo spoke up, “MinWoo... you know that stuff I told you before?”

MinWoo looked at her questioningly and then rolled his eyes, “You tell me a lot of stuff.”

HyeSoo pursed her lips and then narrowed her eyes, “The life’s desire and stuff. You know, amusement park, horror movie.” She tried to refresh his mind.

MinWoo immediately knew what she was talking about, but pretended to think for a moment, “Yeah... I think I know what you’re talking about. What? Do you want to watch a horror movie together? I refuse. You’d be all over me.”

“No!” HyeSoo blushed and then scoffed at him, “I’d like to change a few things.”

MinWoo crossed his arms and watched her interestingly, “Yeah?”

“I’d like to visit my mother’s grave.. and go out on my birthday. Have a picnic with MinWoo or something,” HyeSoo had thought hard about this. Pay her final respects to her mother, spend one last day out with her boyfriend before she died. “My birthday is in another week or two. That’ll be okay, right?”

MinWoo’s felt a squeeze at his heart along with a little tug at his stomach. He was a little disappointed that she had specifically asked to spend time with her boyfriend. It was to be expected, but that didn’t change the fact that it hurt. He responded with a shrug, “I’ll take you to her memorial tomorrow. You’ll have to talk to your boyfriend about your birthday.”

HyeSoo smiled brightly and nodded at him, “Thanks! You’re the best.”

MinWoo shrugged again, ignoring the excitement that welled up inside him at her words. “I’ll see you tomorrow, then.”

------------------------------------------------

The next day, MinWoo brought her a black and white polka-dot dress with a solid vest. After HyeSoo had gotten ready, the two boarded a taxi and headed towards the city. MinWoo directed the driver to a small, kept building. The inside walls were lined with shining plaques and small “cubbies” beneath each one filled with flowers.

With a sinking feeling, HyeSoo realized that she hadn’t brought flowers. When they entered the shop, however, MinWoo handed her a bouquet, putting her worries to rest. Wordlessly, the two searched for HyeSoo’s mother’s name. MinWoo found it first, waving his patient over to the back. HyeSoo smiled, bowed, and then put her focus on her mother. She set the flowers in their rightful spot and closed her eyes, folding her hands in front of her in silent prayer.

Omma... I’m so sorry for thinking you left me. Already, her eyes were watering beneath her lids. I’m sorry for giving up so quickly and for causing so much trouble for you and appa. There are so many things I’m sorry for and regret. I should’ve listened better, I should’ve told you I loved you. I still don’t understand all that you did and why you did it, but I’m sure I’ll know soon. Her face distorted and she began racking with sobs. I’ll be with you in no time and I’ll make it all up to you, so, please, let me be happy for these next few weeks. Omma, don’t hate me for living a reckless life while you’re gone. Just let me play for a while longer, and then I’ll run to your open arms. Saranghae.

HyeSoo said many things along those lines, silently consulting her mother- hoping she was listening with an open heart. She didn’t know how long she’d been there, but it must’ve been quite some time because when she had finally finished, MinWoo was sitting in the corner- his eyes closed in either sleep or meditation.

“MinWoo-ssi,” HyeSoo whispered in a voice hoarse from her tears. Immediately, MinWoo’s eyes opened and he stood to his feet. Seeing that she was done, MinWoo led her outside and waved down another taxi. On the silent ride home, HyeSoo leaned against her nurse, exhausted from standing so long- not to mention her illness was taking a toll on her. Soon, she was asleep on his shoulder, still murmuring things to her mother.

With a small smile, MinWoo kissed her lightly on the forehead, wishing her a sweet reunitement with her mother in her dreams.