First Love

Perfect Nurse

MinWoo silently watched visitors come and go, trying to find comfort from the cushionless bench he sat on outside the hospital gift shop. He didn't quite know what to do. He held no anger towards HyeSoo for her supposed betrayal, but rather he held remorse for leaving her to the nurse's care so much that she had left him behind.

It was only a kiss on the cheek- he knew that. In other countries, it was used as a greeting or a sign of friendly affection. So why did he feel as if his suspicions had been confirmed? What suspicions? Only in the back of his mind had he ever doubted HyeSoo, and he most certainly had never admitted that to himself. 

Wallowing in self pity, MinWoo found himself devising plans to win HyeSoo back. If not even that, to simply show her how much he cared. The high schooler was surprised when during his self-reflection HyeSoo's father approached him. MinWoo could tell the grown man had been crying- his bright red eyes were all the proof he or anyone else needed.

"MinWoo-ah?" MinWoo couldn't even look the middle-aged man in the eyes. He was so ashamed, so upset, so hurt. "I know that you must have been shocked about what you saw but-" He paused as he saw MinWoo shake his head.

"I know it was nothing," the teen lied, half trying to convince both himself and HyeSoo's father that he was speaking the truth.

Quick to believe what he wished to hear, Mr. Song nodded and smiled briefly. He strongly placed his hand on MinWoo's shoulder and murmured, "Good, boy, because she wants to see you."

MinWoo's heart was torn at those words. He wasn't sure if he wanted to see his girlfriend right then, but then again hearing that she wished him to be with her brought him almost too much relief for him to bare. Almost immediately he was to his feet and hurriedly making his way to HyeSoo's room.

Her nurse stood just outside her door where he had left him, but MinWoo paid him no heed. He entered HyeSoo's room without even a knock and was greeted with a whole-hearted, but slightly hollow, smile. HyeSoo looked even weaker than before, something that he had never thought was possible. With a sickening feeling gripping his stomach, MinWoo mentally noted that he'd never seen what a dying person looked like- but he was pretty sure that this was it.

It took all of his strength to smile back at her and look into her dulling eyes without breaking down in tears. There was no fear on her face, no resistance in her demeanor. She knew, didn't she? If she did know about her impending death, HyeSoo made no mention of it, continuing to feign ignorance.

"MinWoo.. You came." The relief in her voice planted a new seed of guilt in MinWoo. Had he made her worry? He straightened up his suit, suddenly self conscious under her gaze, and nodded. "Do you.. want to watch a movie?"

MinWoo furrowed his brow at her question, having not expected such a request. Then, after a few moments, he nodded. "Of course. Which one..?"

HyeSoo thought for a moment and then murmured, "A Millionaire's First Love." Despite the depressing theme of the movie, HyeSoo grinned up at him, "Because, MinWoo, you're going to become a millionaire one day, a baseball player, and I'm your first love." 

Though he didn't want to watch a movie depicting a story so similar to his own, MinWoo rented the DVD and borrowed a laptop to use. He couldn't deny HyeSoo her request. Within no time, MinWoo had removed his jacket and the two were snuggled up together on her bed, watching the quirky couple in front of them form. HyeSoo giggled, and MinWoo found himself watching his girlfriend more than the screen. About halfway through the movie, HyeSoo had closed her eyes in what MinWoo assumed to be sleep. 

Resting his head almost happily on hers, MinWoo watched the last scenes of the movie on his own. When the field of dandelions faded to black, MinWoo was practically in tears. HyeSoo was going to leave him- just as the female protagonist had the millionaire. 

"HyeSoo-ah," he whispered, her hair gently. "I'm sorry I'm such a failure. I couldn't raise enough money- I failed you. I got so caught up in making a future for you that I forgot to take care of you in the present. I didn't even provide you with a proper hospital room, I let the nurse pay for you and feed you and care for you in this storage room. I put so much distance between us, and I kept such a secret from you. If only I'd told you what I was doing and why.. Maybe things would have turned out better." He’d said only part of what he had on his mind, but he knew she wasn’t listening. He’d tell her the rest when he woke up. He’d tell her that he’d never let her go unless she asked him to, he’d tell her that he loved her with all his heart. Unable to resist the the drawing of sleep any longer, MinWoo gave HyeSoo a peck on the corner of and then drifted off into a deep sleep.