Ecchymoses on the Occiput

Perfect Nurse

"HyeSoo?"

 
HyoYeon's fuzzy face was inches above HyeSoo's.
 
"Yah! Song HyeSoo!"
 
She was so tired, so sore.
 
"Is she alright?"
 
"Did someone call an ambulance?"
 
"This isn't because of her leukemia right?"
 
At that, HyeSoo stopped listening. She sluggishly let her head roll to its side, bringing the concerned faces of the baseball teams and umpires into view.
 
Her focus on the boys hazed in and out. MinWoo was at the center, his brow furrowed, his eyes mouth moving nervously.
 
My leukemia doesn't have symtoms like this. She replied to the man who'd spoken earlier. Not at the stage it's at, anyways.
 
Telling him this, even if it was in her mind, brought both a feeling of consolation and fear. She was probably just reacting to some sort of sickness, but.. what if she was wrong?
 
To put her mind at ease, she made a decision. Relax, Song HyeSoo, it's just yesterday's fever getting to you.
 
She then gave into the exhaustion tugging at her.
 
~~
 
"I knew she shouldn't have gone!" A familiar voice filled HyeSoo's ears. It was her mother. "If she had waited for the results, this wouldn't have happened."
 
A throbbing pain came from her back and head. It felt like someone was constantly punching her.
 
"Mrs. Song, it most likely would have happened either way." Her frequent nurse, Park SunYoung.
 
HyeSoo listened groggily.
 
"We pay this hospital a lot of money, can't you at least put us on a little bit of a higher priority?" That was her father. He sounded angry. "Her blood count is extremely unbalanced compared to the last time we checked. If the results had come earlier, we may have avoided the injuries she received." 
 
"Mr. Song, I don't have any control over the priorities the hospital has. If you have some sort of dissatisfaction, please refer it to the front desk."
 
HyeSoo heard her father sigh. "You're right. I'm sorry, SunYoung." He paused, "It's just... we can't really afford to keep this up much longer. Her leukemia's been in recession for a long while, now. We were really counting on it getting out of the way. It's odd for it to act up..."
 
HyeSoo's head felt as if it was pounding. What? What did he mean?
 
"I'm sorry, sir, but afford? And I'm sure the doctor's words will comfort you about her condition. The leap in her blood count is so strange that we're afraid it may have been a mistake. We'll schedule different tests for next week."
 
"That's a relief... But what will HyeSoo do during the week? Will she have to stay here...?"
 
"Your daughter just needs to stay overnight, sir," SunYoung responded coolly. "Are you concerned about the cost?" She had cunningly returned to the afford question.
 
"Speaking of children," her mother changed the conversation quickly, "how is yours coming along, SunYoung, dear?"
 
"Tomorrow is actually my last day before I go on maternity leave. It's really a pity that HyeSoo is in this condition right when I have to go.."
 
"Yes, that is quite unforunate.." HyeSoo's father murmured. "Will we have to pay more for a different nurse?"
 
HyeSoo was shocked that her father was so concerned about money suddenly.
 
"I don't know, Mr. Song. But I believe we have to leave HyeSoo, she needs some rest."
 
The three exited the room, leaving a confused HyeSoo behind.