May The Best Person Win

Once Love, Twice Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4 years ago..

 

The gym was not as crowded as yesterday, giving the two young men more space to perform their workout routine. They had spent almost 20 minutes on trademill. When one of them were almost out of breath, they slowed down their pace and started to brisk-walk instead. "You know hyung, I'm still curious. Out of all the beautiful ladies.. or in your case even men, why her? Why Ji Hyo?" Ji Hoon was having a hard time talking while panting.

 

Jong Kook giggled as he answered, "Waeyo? You still have feeling for her?". "What if I do? Are you going to.." before Ji Hoon could finish his sentence, Jong Kook immediately cut him short, "Not a chance bro!"

 

Ji Hoon stepped down from the treadmill and turned to face Jong Kook, "Why not? Don't tell me that you're serious about a girl now." Following his buddy, Jong Kook also took a break from his workout. Somehow, he could tell where their conversation would be leading to. It was not a difficult question, yet to answer it without offending his gym buddy was the hardest part. Jong Kook was very much aware on the long-time 'crush' that Ji Hoon had on Ji Hyo. In fact, it was Ji Hoon who first talked about the lady who had captured his attention when they first met. Therefore he took some time to clear his thought by dranking water before replying to Ji Hoon, "Ji Hyo is not just a girl, you know? She's.. different. She's not like the other women I've met. That's why I've decided to give her a chance."

 

"A chance for what?" Ji Hoon became even more curious. Jong Kook smiled, "For a real relationship. You know.. the kind that you want to grow old with and have lots of children?"

 

Present

 

As he answered the unexpected phone call, Ji Hoon prepared himself to sound as natural as possible. "It's been a while, how are you doing.. hyung?"

 

"Never been better. Thank you for answering my call, Ji Hoon."

"Of course I will. Why wouldn't I?" he giggled awkwardly.

But Jong Kook was very calm, "I don't know. I was just assuming that you are not comfortable to talk to me. Like you've said.. it's been a while."

"Indeed. So how's life? Been seeing someone new? Is it a girl.. or a guy?"

Ji Hoon's question made Jong Kook burst into laughter, "No one in particular. Just me and myself. Enough about me. So how's your relationship with Ji Hyo? Is she happy.. or should I take her back?"

 

Although it was supposed to be a joke, but Ji Hoon felt threatened when the words that came out from Jong Kook himself. Partly he felt guilty for what he did in the past, but mostly he was afraid that Jong Kook would not give up on his fiancee even though the older guy didn't say anything on ruining his future happiness. Knowing the history of Jong Kook-Ji Hyo relationship became a burden to his heart - making him anxious whenever that topic became the center of conversation.

 

When there was a long pause by Ji Hoon, Jong Kook naturally let out a small laugh. "Chill bro! That was a joke." But then he said, "Or maybe not. Nothing personal here. Just to let you know that I'm all ready to take her back if you ever change your mind." As Ji Hoon remained silence, Jong Kook continued, "Anyway, that's not the reason I call. I have been wanting to catch up with you.. for the sake of good old days. Perhaps we can go for a drink? Tonight. What do you say?"

 

Meanwhile at Ji Hyo's place, her mind was too disturbed by the unexpected encounter with her ex-boyfriend. She felt suffocated and impossible to do anything without reminding herself of her moments with the man who stole her heart years ago. Alone in her house, Ji Hyo stared at the sea of people on the street through her glass-window. "When did I stopped loving him?" suddenly she began to question herself.

 

Before she could find the answer, her phone rang loudly. Ji Hyo went t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter