When You're Gone

Once Love, Twice Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The shining diamond ring was extremely beautiful and she could tell that it worth at least five times of her monthly salary. But the more important part was the the last two words from Jong Kook - "marry me". Not that her mind became blank or that she did not hear his marriage proposal, but Ji Hyo was unsure how to respond to such a meaningful question that would change her whole future. Besides, she was still skeptical with the idea of getting married due to her fail relationship with Ji Hoon.

 

So when Jong Kook took out the ring and about to put it on her finger, she refused to accept it. "Oppa.. this is so sudden. I'm.. I'm not ready." Jong Kook was obviously upset with her rejection, however he did not want to give up so easily. "Mian, I didn't mean to rush you into this tonight, but if you can give me at least a sign that.. even there's a slight chance.. that you will consider my proposal, I'll be more than happy."

 

"Oppa.. I.."

"Yes?"

"I can't."

"Can't what?" he became impatient.

She looked at him with sad eyes, "Can't accept your proposal right now. I'm sorry."

"But why? Are you seeing someone else?"

Ji Hyo heaved a sigh and shook her head to deny it, "I'm not. I just.. I mean.. it's already against the company's policy for me to romantically involve with any client in the same project. Also.. what if Ji Hoon comes back and he still wants me? I don't think I can betray him.."

"When will you accept the fact that he's gone, Ji Hyo?!" Jong Kook let out his disappointment as he could not believe that the 'spell' was still strong on her. But then he realized that his words had hurt her feeling when her eyes began to fill with tears, "Mianada. I shouldn't raise my voice to you."

 

They went into silence for a long minute. It broke his heart to listen to her sobbing, knowing how clueless she was on the truth behind her relationship with Ji Hoon. Jong Kook did not want to make her more upset, but he had to tell her about his travelling plan, "I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow. I wanted to tell you much earlier, but it must have slipped my mind."

 

"How long?" she asked - still trying to regulate her emotion.

"3 days. 5 the most. I was hoping to know your decision before my flight tomorrow."

"I gave you my answer.."

 

He put his finger on her lips to silent her, "Please give it another thought tonight.. and if you ever change your mind, I will be waiting for you at the airport by 2pm. But if you didn't show up.. I guess we both know what it means." Although she had refused to accept it, Jong Kook decided to let Ji Hyo kept the ring, "I hope to see you wearing it someday."

 

The next morning, Jong Kook was not able to cheer up for his business trip to Japan. He was more worried about Ji Hyo who seemed to be 'avoiding' him since he proposed to her last night. None of his text messages were getting a reply and he was not able to reach her via phone call too. He assumed she might still be contemplating whether to accept or reject his marriage proposal.

 

"Or maybe she wants to surprise me at the airport. Yes.. it must be it. Good luck to me!" he tried to think positively by giving hope that Ji Hyo would be meeting him just as he had requested. When his transport arrived, he carried his small luggage and handed it over to the driver who greeted him with a smile. Before getting into the limousine, once again he dialled Ji Hyo's number. Since she did not answer, he decided to proceed with his journey as he would not want to miss his flight.

 

Throughout the long drive, loneliness began to fill his heart. The closer he got to the airport, the more anxious he became as there was no response from Ji Hyo. With a mixed of emotions, he made his way to the check-in counter and did all the necessary steps to board a flight. Since he has about 30 minutes left before the gate officially close, Jong Kook sent another text message to Ji Hyo - informing her the exact location wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter