Chapter Three

For The Reason That

Seokjin closes the book. He finished it. Faster than he intended to. He peers up from the book, looking at the sun. It’s still so early. He doesn’t want to go back so soon. He fiddles with the book’s edge. 

 

Then what should he do? His eyes lazily scan the empty field before landing on a particular person. Prince Jungkook. Seokjin continues staring as the prince is immersed in his training. Today he’s practicing sword fight. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t understand why the young prince chooses to train out here when there’s a training area back at the palace.

 

Unexpectedly, the young prince looks Seokjin’s way. Seokjin’s eyes fly back down to his book, opening it to a random page. He could feel the prince’s eyes on him which isn’t for long as he goes back to swinging his sword. 

 

Seokjin only realized now that he and Prince Jungkook has not exchanged a word. Not even the day Prince Jungkook found Seokjin bawling underneath this tree. Seokjin was so worried he’d tell someone but it doesn’t seem like he did. 

 

Prince Jungkook just stayed quiet and returned to his training. Seokjin returned to the palace first. The next day he was ready for Prince Taehyung to burst through his door, demanding why he was crying out in the wilderness. He didn’t. Seokjin felt relief but also sadness.

 

For a week now, he found himself coming out to this field. He would bring a book to accompany him. He wasn’t the only one coming out to this spot. Every time he came, Prince Jungkook would too. Sometimes he’s already there when Seokjin arrives. Sometimes he’d come after Seokjin. 

 

Yet, they don’t exchange a single word. They do their own thing and mind their own business.  Seokjin’s grateful for that. Being in the palace is so...stifling. 

 

Prince Taehyung has not been paying him as many visits as before. Seokjin hates the reason he believes that is. What is he doing? Allowing himself to pout like this. He should be fine with this. He should be fine with Prince Taehyung having a royal consort. 

 

Seokjin sighs as he stands up. He should get going back now. 

 

~~~~

 

“You look as handsome as ever, Your Royal Highness,” Hyeon tells Seokjin as he takes a look at his reflection. Seokjin stares at the grim face in the mirror. His hair is styled, a couple of hairpins, a necklace occupies his neck, rich silk covers his skin. But what does it matter, Prince Taehyung won’t care. 

 

Hyeon notices his expression, “Or would you rather wear the new purple clothes the seamstress just made. The designs are so intricate. It would sure-“

 

“No!” Hyeon startles as Seokjin raises his voice. Purple. Prince Taehyung’s favorite color. The purple hanbok that the Royal Consort wore. Seokjin fakes a smile at her, “I like what I’m wearing now. Let’s go.”

 

Seokjin doesn’t wait for Hyeon as he heads for the Main Palace. The quicker he can get this over with, the better. Shortly after, Seokjin arrives at the Main Palace which is bustling with people. 

 

Don’t bother to ask Seokjin what is the cause of this celebration because, to be honest, he has no clue. Running away from the palace walls whenever he could and keeping to himself, he doesn’t know what’s going on around him anymore. 

 

He wants to go sit at his own table without the Queen and the gossiping nobles but he knows he can’t do that. So he puts a polite smile on his face and goes over to the Queen, taking a bow before seating at her table. Fortunately, the nobles aren’t all over him like last time. Instead, gossiping about some Royal Lady. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t jump into the gossip, opting to just watch the musicians in the front. Seokjin wonders if Prince Taehyung’s going to show. If he does, how will Seokjin face him? He feels like one look at him, and he’ll be brought back to the heartbreak he felt.

 

Seokjin comes out of his daze when he notices the silence of the nobles. His eyes follow theirs which all seem to be directed in the same direction. His heart drops as his eyes take in the image of Prince Taehyung with his Royal Consort. 

 

Prince Taehyung’s arm wraps around his waist almost protectively. The Royal Consort is much shorter and has a small frame, fitting perfectly in his hold. He’s adorned in such expensive articles of clothing that he could be mistaken as a prince himself. 

 

“So this is the Royal Consort everyone’s talking about.”

“No wonder his Royal Highness fell for him, he’s as beautiful as a flower.”

“Dressed like that, it’s hard to believe he was once a commoner.”

 

Seokjin tears his eyes from the lovely couple. 

 

~~~~

 

The rain beats down hard tonight. Lightning and thunder accompany it with the wind joining in. Cold and chaotic yet nothing compared to the storm happening in Seokjin’s heart and mind. His lip quivers, not from the cold but misery. 

 

Not once at the event, did Prince Taehyung glance at him. Too busy staring heart-eyed at his consort. Even when he came to greet the Queen, his eyes did not once go to Seokjin. It was as if he were a mere ghost. 

 

Seokjin brings his knees up to his face, burying his face in them as more tears fall. His tears are cold against his face, stinging almost. “Your Royal Highness.” 

 

Seokjin flinches, lifting his face to the addressee. He turns away, not bothering to wipe his tears or respond. “The whole palace is in a panic right now. You’ve been missing for the whole day. Not to mention this storm.” 

 

Seokjin rests his head on his knees. “I’ll go back when I want to. You can leave,” he says sternly. He doesn’t care about formalities right now. He just wants to be alone. Seokjin furrows his brows slightly as the addressee plops down a few feet away from Seokjin. “Your Highness, I already told you-“ 

 

Jungkook interrupts him, “I’m just staying here till the storm clears up. No need to repeat yourself, Your Royal Highness.” Seokjin feels slight irritation pick at him but he ignores it as he does to Jungkook. 

 

The two sit in silence with only the rain making noise. Seokjin eyes the only seen entrance and exit of the cave they’re in. Rainwater drips down, more than before. It’s unnerving. Out of the corners of his eyes, he steals a glance at Prince Jungkook. 

 

He’s soaking wet, hair slick and matted to his head, raindrops rolling down his face. Seokjin looks down at the space between them, seeing the slowly forming puddle from Jungkook. “How did you find me?” Seokjin annunciates softly. 

 

“You always come to that field. You probably came again despite the gray clouds.” Jungkook turns his head to look at him. “I was right. However, you didn’t choose the best hiding spot.” Jungkook nods at the entrance of the cave. “If it keeps raining, more water will collect in here.”

 

Seokjin gulps, imaging the scenario of not being able to get out of the cave once it’s flooded. “Well then, why don’t you just leave?” 

 

“It’s chaos out there. My horse is too afraid to go back,” Jungkook says watching his black horse who is settled down as if knowing this was going to be a long stay. 

 

“Caramel!” Seokjin stands up. He completely forgot about him when he ran into the cave to seek refuge. He must still be out in the rain, waiting for Seokjin. He has to go get him. 

 

Before Seokjin could go, a strong and cold hand grips his wrist. “What are you doing?” Jungkook asks, brows furrowed. 

 

“My horse. I left him out there. He could be hurt,” Seokjin says in a frantic. 

 

“If you go out there too, you could get hurt.” Seeing the still unconvinced Seokjin, he adds, “On my way here I didn’t see any horses. He most likely ran back to the stables.”

 

Seokjin sighs, “You’re right. He would’ve gone back.” Seokjin sits back down. Jungkook lets go of his wrist. Again the quietness engulfs them. 

 

Among the thoughts in his head, Seokjin realizes that this is his and Jungkook’s first time talking to each other. He thinks back to all those times at the family meals. Jungkook never once showed up. 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together. Jungkook never really shows up for anything. He was always missing even in the important events. He wonders why that is. With nothing else to do, lots of time on his hands, and wanting to take his mind off of Prince Taehyung, Seokjin asks, “How is it that you never make an appearance for important events, Your Highness?” 

 

“I have other things to attend to,” Jungkook simply replies.

 

Seokjin doesn’t need to be a mind reader to know that is not simply the reason. “What..things?”

 

Jungkook makes eye contact with him, “That’s private matters. Why do you want to know?”

 

Seokjin backs down from the intense gaze, “I just wonder...” ‘What could be more important than your family meals?’

 

“Can I wonder something, Your Royal Highness?” Jungkook asks and from the tone of his voice, Seokjin thinks he’s just mocking him.

 

“It’s only fair that you get to ask me a question too,” Seokjin says, staring at the cracks on the stone they’re sitting on. 

 

Jungkook doesn’t say anything at first as if thinking about what to ask. Then, “How is it that you’re always with a smile when around others but when it’s just you and I, all I see are tears?”

 

Seokjin eyes widen at his question which sounded less like a question but more of a statement. He thought it was an unspoken rule between them that Seokjin’s crying was to not be spoken of. But Jungkook’s question opposes that. 

 

“I...” Seokjin never thought of this scenario before. “It’s private matters.” He ignores the piercing gaze Jungkook is giving him. Pretending like the slab of stone they’re sitting on is the most intricate piece of art he’s ever seen. 

 

“I never appear at what you call, ‘important events’ because they don’t seem important to me,” Jungkook answers Seokjin’s earlier question, surprising him. Despite starting, Jungkook remains quiet although Seokjin feels like he has more to say. 

 

“Why do you deem them unimportant?” Seokjin asks almost gentle, confused as to where this conversation is leading. 

 

Jungkook sighs. “Because in the end, everything will be fine if I don’t show up. I’m only the son of the King and his Royal Consort. Only to be needed if Taehyung’s not there which he always is. In the end, I found out that my words mean very little when there’s also his words.” 

 

Seokjin stares wide-eyed at the prince. He never fathomed the thought of Jungkook like this. Seokjin feels guilty himself. Even before falling for Prince Taehyung, Seokjin never gave Jungkook another thought. Seeing him as the other prince who’s of no importance. Only the other prince. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t know what to say or do. No one ever confided in him like this before and he certainly didn’t think it’d be Prince Jungkook who he rarely knows. A moment passes before Seokjin goes, “I always put on a smile for others because my parents taught me that as a prince, I shall always be perfect and kind. That to show any other emotions is not being of royalty.”

 

Again anguish fills Seokjin’s heart, “It wasn’t hard to do that before because I did feel like smiling. However, these days I don’t feel an ounce of happiness. I feel extreme loneliness and like everything I did meant nothing. Everything I did was for him..” Seokjin’s suddenly reminded of Prince Taehyung’s sweet smile. 

 

“But it seems like he doesn’t acknowledge any of it and like he never will.” Realizing what he’s doing, Seokjin stops talking. What is he saying? Telling this to Jungkook. He shouldn’t have done that. 

 

Jungkook doesn’t say anything and Seokjin doesn’t have the courage to see his reaction. He quickly moves the conversation along, “I apologize.” 

 

“What for?” 

 

Seokjin sneaks a glance at him, regretting it as Jungkook’s eyes look back at him. “For misjudging you. I first thought of you as an insolent prince who’s ungrateful and irresponsible.” 

 

Jungkook’s eyes widen in disbelief, his lips parting a bit to show his two front pearly whites. “I was wrong,” Seokjin admits doing his very best not to cower from the prince’s eyes. “You’re not like that.” He reaches his hand out to Jungkook. “Will you forgive me?”

 

Seokjin starts to feel flustered as Jungkook lets his hand hang there. Then he nods and grabs Seokjin’s hand. “I forgive you.” Seokjin nods, content. Yet, when he goes to pull his hand away, Jungkook continues keeping it in his grip.

 

“I thought you forgave me..” Seokjin says uneasily. 

 

Jungkook nods. “Now, it’s my turn to say something.” He glances away, “I also misjudged you. I first thought of you as a two-faced prince who faked everything to be in the best interests of people.” Now, it’s Seokjin’s turn to stare wide-eyed and in disbelief at Jungkook. Jungkook looks at him again, “Forgive me?”

 

Seokjin stares at him, lips parted, not sure if he should forgive him. “I don’t see you like that anymore,” Jungkook adds.

 

Reluctantly, Seokjin nods. “You’re forgiven.” With that, Jungkook lets go of his hand. 

 

~~~~

 

“Do you plan to walk back all the way?”

 

Seokjin tense up, “I’m perfectly fine walking all the way back. Exercise is good.” He could hear Jungkook cough behind him on his horse. 

 

Seokjin looks ahead, through the trees, estimating how much farther they’ve got. His feet were getting sore. All the times he came here, he would ride Caramel. Seokjin gasps when he feels Jungkook’s arm pull his, pulling him out of his thoughts. 

 

“What?” Seokjin turns to him, feigning annoyance on his face though the emotion is not true. 

 

Jungkook points to the ground, “You were daydreaming so much you were going to trip.” Seokjin follows his finger, seeing a big tree root blocking his path. 

 

Offended by Jungkook’s assumption, he goes, “I wasn’t daydreaming-“

 

“You can daydream all you want on the horse,” Jungkook offers, getting off the horse. Seokjin wants to object but his feet cries for him to not. Reluctantly, Seokjin gets on the horse. He holds the reins in his hand, ready to move onwards when he feels more weight on the horse. 

 

His head whips behind him. “What are you doing?” Seokjin demands, alarmed.

 

Jungkook sits behind him with a monotonous face. “We’ll arrive at the palace faster if we’re both on the horse.” With that, his arms reach around Seokjin’s waist, grabbing the reins out of his hands. 

 

Seokjin stiffens, not used to such a situation. As they continue towards the palace, he finds himself loosening up. Although he had stupidly confided in Jungkook about what has been weighing down on him, now that the morning has come, he regrets it. He doesn’t know Jungkook and Jungkook doesn’t know him. That conversation should’ve never happened. 

 

Seokjin stares at Jungkook’s hands which are in charge of the reins. But a small, small part of Seokjin is relieved to have let his feelings out. To tell someone of how much hurting he’s been in. To not have to plaster a smile on his face.

 

They arrive at the stables where Prince Taehyung and Hyeon are waiting. Immediately, Hyeon runs towards them, “Your Royal Highness, where did you go? Did you know how panicked we all were? Are you hurt anywhere? Did you catch a cold?” 

 

“I’m fine,” Seokjin answers meekly. Prince Taehyung comes over to them, offering a hand to Seokjin. Seokjin takes his hand, avoiding eye contact as he steps down. 

 

He gets startled when a warm hand caresses his cheek, tilting his head up. “I was really worried about you, Prince Seokjin,” Prince Taehyung tells him, voice warm and deep. Just the way Seokjin likes it.

 

Seokjin flushes under his touch and attention. He and Prince Taehyung haven’t interacted much lately. It feels odd. “I apologize for worrying you, Your Royal Highness.”

 

Prince Taehyung smiles a soft smile, “Will you have breakfast with me? Afterward, I would like to hear you play your gayageum.” 

 

Seokjin puts on a small smile, “Of course, Your Royal Highness.” He didn’t realize how much he missed the prince. 

 

As they walk away with Prince Taehyung conversing with him, Seokjin turns his head slightly behind, remembering the other prince. Jungkook has a small smile on his face as his only focus is on horse, feeding it and patting it’s mane. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin arrives at the Palace of Chrysanthemum, scanning the palace for the Queen Consort. He hasn’t spoken to her in a while. It’d be nice to catch up again. Since that night he went missing and it was storming, Prince Taehyung started to visit him again.

 

With Prince Taehyung’s frequent visits, his spirits are lifting again. 

 

“Her Majesty isn’t here?” The Queen Consort told him herself that you can always find her at her palace. “Then, where has she gone to?”

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin follows the trail of servants, looking around at the new surroundings. He’s never been here before. All the servants head into the same room, the door wide open. “In here, Your Royal Highness,” a servant tells him. He nods, entering the room. 

 

His eyes immediately land on the bed in the room which is occupied by Jungkook. Lady Yeona sits by the side of the bed, holding a spoon out to him. “It’s nothing serious, Mother. It’ll go away by tomorrow,” Jungkook says, almost whining like a child. 

 

“It could turn into something serious. Now take your medicine,” Lady Yeona tells him. Jungkook pouts before opening his mouth to accept the medicine. As he does so, his eyes leave his mother. Falling instead on Seokjin.

 

Jungkook looks shocked to see him. Lady Yeona notices his face, turning around. She smiles, “What brings you here, Prince Seokjin?”

 

Seokjin smiles back, “I came to visit you at Palace of Chrysanthemum, finding out that you’ve come to Palace of Tiger Lily.” Jungkook turns away from Seokjin, but Seokjin could see the red hue on his cheeks.

 

“I apologize for making you come all the way here. It’s just that Prince Jungkook has been sick for two days now and I only found out this morning,” Lady Yeona narrows her eyes at Jungkook. 

 

“No need to apologize,” Seokjin looks behind him where Hyeon is. “I brought some herbal tea that can help His Highness feel better.” 

 

~~~~ 

 

“Thank you for offering your herbal tea. They smell so good,” Lady Yeona thanks Seokjin. 

 

“You’re welcome.” Lady Yeona takes the tea off the fire as it’s ready to be served. Seokjin takes the tray from the servant, holding it out to the Queen Consort. “If I may,” Seokjin starts. “How did His Highness get ill?” He feels like he knows the reason why Jungkook got sick but he wonders if Lady Yeona knows it as well.

 

Lady Yeona shakes her head and sets the teapot and teacups on the tray Seokjin’s holding. “As you know Jungkook always likes going out.” Everyone in the palace knows that as he’s never to be seen when needed. “And so he got it when he was outside in the marketplace.” Seokjin presses his lips together, not believing that reason.

 

“I love him but sometimes it seems like he’s still a mere child,” Lady Yeona says with a soft smile on her face as if reminiscing of when Jungkook was a small child.

 

“Shall we head back?” Seokjin asks, stepping out of the way to let Lady Yeona lead. Together, they head back to Jungkook’s bed chambers.

 

They arrive to see that Jungkook had gotten out of bed and was changing into clothes that mimicked those of commoners. “Jungkook,” Lady Yeona sighs. “Where are you headed to? You’re still not well.”

 

Jungkook brushes off his mother’s words, “I’m fine. I feel a lot better since taking your medicine.” Contrary to his words, there’s still a pink color to his cheeks. “I can also get you those sweet bread you like.” 

 

Lady Yeona glances at Seokjin as if to prove her earlier statement. Seokjin smiles. Even though he hasn’t been here long, it seems like Jungkook and Lady Yeona’s relationship is different from the other royals’ son and mother relationship. Even his.

 

“Well, before you go, you should at least drink some of Prince Seokjin’s tea. He brought them especially for you,” Lady Yeona says, giving in. 

 

Jungkook’s eyes meet Seokjin’s. Seokjin looks away. “Alright.”

 

The three of them go out to the pavilion in the Palace of Tiger Lily to have their tea. Jungkook doesn’t say much, just sipping his tea as Lady Yeona and Seokjin catch up. “Oh,” Lady Yeona realizes. “You two have yet been properly introduced, haven’t you?”

 

Seokjin shakes his head. They’ve met and shared a couple of heavy words on their minds, yet weren’t properly introduced. 

 

“Then we can make up for the lost time,” Lady Yeona says in a bright voice. “Prince Seokjin, meet Prince Jungkook. My very handsome yet not always obedient son.” Jungkook sighs but Seokjin can tell the Queen Consort only means well. 

 

Seokjin makes eye contact with Jungkook and unlike the other time when they were in the cave, his eyes seem less icy and intense. “And Jungkook, meet Prince Seokjin whose also very handsome but much more obedient than you are.” Seokjin chuckles lightly while Jungkook scoffs under his breath. 

 

“Nice to meet you, Your Royal Highness,” Jungkook says to Seokjin. 

 

“Nice to meet you as well, Your Highness,” Seokjin says back polite and with a gentle smile like he’s taught to. His eyes flicker when Jungkook’s face becomes grim. Did Seokjin do something that offended him?

 

Lady Yeona smiles, pleased to see her two favorite princes getting along. Seokjin brings the teacup to his lips, taking a sip of the herbal tea. “Jungkook, Prince Seokjin is five years your senior.” 

 

Seokjin coughs, some of the tea dripping out the corner of his lips. Five years?! Jungkook looks amused and says, “Five years? That’s a pretty big , Your Royal Highness.” 

 

Seokjin flushes at the comment but it goes unnoticed but the Queen Consort. “Prince Seokjin, you can be Jungkook’s role model and mentor. Hopefully, he’ll understand royal etiquette more from you.”

 

 Seokjin gives a weak smile, “I would be honored to, Your Majesty.” 

 

A servant comes to Lady Yeona’s side, whispering something to her. She nods before turning to Seokjin and Jungkook. “I’m called for the Main Palace. I’ll let you two know each other better.” Seokjin smiles and nods as the Queen Consort excuse herself.

 

Once gone, Seokjin asks, “Why did you lie to her?” Jungkook raises a brow, not quite understanding what he meant. Seokjin glance around them to make sure there weren’t any servants around. “You got ill because of me,” Seokjin says lightly.

 

He recalls Jungkook soaking wet when he found Seokjin in the cave. Recalls as they went back to the palace the next morning, Jungkook was coughing. 

 

“Well, you wouldn’t want the entire palace talking about how I caught a cold because you had run away, would you?” At this, Seokjin flushes. Jungkook sets down his teacup and stands up. “If you’ll excuse me, I have somewhere to be.”

 

He walks away leaving Seokjin staring at his retreating back. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin holds the cloth out, inspecting it from afar. He sighs as the bad sewing is obvious even from afar. He starts pulling out the thread, ready to start afresh. “Your Royal Highness,” Hyeon starts.

 

Seokjin makes a small ‘hmm’ as he continues pulling the thread out. “Why is it that you’re suddenly interested in sewing?” 

 

Seokjin momentarily stops pulling the thread before continuing. “I just want to. I never took up the time to learn it but now with so much free time on my hands, I can,” he lies. He doesn’t want to tell Hyeon about how he picked up sewing for Prince Taehyung. He doesn’t want her pity if she does give it.

 

‘Although Prince Taehyung has his Royal Consort...’ Seokjin’s throat closes up. ‘Maybe there’s still a space for me in his heart. Even if tiny,’ he thinks to himself. After all, Prince Taehyung is back to looking at Seokjin. That itself fills Seokjin with delight. 

 

For the rest of the day, Seokjin practices sewing. He plans to practice into the night as well. That is until he receives the news of the King wanting a family dinner. Seokjin’s a little down by the fact that he has to stop his practice but he also wishes to see Prince Taehyung. 

 

~~~~

 

“Try this,” Prince Taehyung says as he picks up some meat onto Seokjin’s plate. “I specifically asked the chefs to cook this. It’s one of my favorite dishes,” he informs Seokjin.

 

Seokjin takes a bite and to his expectations, it tastes as good as it looks. As he continues eating, his eyes meet the eyes of the person sitting directly across from him. 

 

Jungkook’s unreadable eyes stare back at him for a second before he looks back down at his food. The pink tint to his cheeks is gone so that must mean he’s not ill anymore. Seokjin sighs internally. He was feeling guilty knowing Jungkook had caught a cold only because of him.

 

“Jungkook,” the King starts, gaining Jungkook’s attention and everyone else at the table. As usual, there was the King, Queen, Queen Consort, Prince Taehyung, Seokjin, and Jungkook. However, this was the first time Jungkook showed up for their family meals.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Jungkook says lowly.

 

“I’ve heard you’re attending your studies again. Is that so?” the King asks doubtful.

 

A quick emotion flashes in Jungkook’s eyes before he replies, “Yes, it’s true.” 

 

The King nods, “Good. You can help aid Taehyung with his work as well then.” 

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.” With that, everyone goes back to eating. Prince Taehyung giving small talk to Seokjin here and there. Everyone else at the table remains silent and stiff. 

 

As they finish with dinner, Prince Taehyung bids Seokjin good night and is on his way to his palace. The King and Queen disappear just as fast as they came. “It’s quite late, isn’t it, Prince Seokjin?”

 

“It seems like so, Your Majesty,” Seokjin agrees with Lady Yeona. The sun has already started to set. 

 

“Palace of Rumex is quite a distance away. Shall Jungkook walk you back?” Lady Yeona suggests, looking behind her to where Jungkook is. Jungkook seems to already know that his mother was going to suggest this, not showing any signs of rejection.

 

It’d be rude to decline so Seokjin says, “If it isn’t a bother to His Highness.”

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin smiles as he recalls Prince Taehyung’s sweet words during dinner. Usually, it’d be him offering dishes to Prince Taehyung. However, today Prince Taehyung was the one doing that. Seokjin smiles dreamily. Having the prince by his side again really lifts his spirits. 

 

Seokjin makes a small squeak as his forehead hits a branch. His hand immediately comes up to touch the aching spot. Was he daydreaming that hard to run right into something? At least no one is around to witness...

 

A clearing of the throat could be heard. Seokjin feels blood rush to his ears. “Are you alright, Your Royal Highness?” Jungkook asks behind him. No trace of laughter visible in his voice.

 

Seokjin keeps his voice steady, scolding himself in his head, “I’m fine.” His forehead throbs angrily, disagreeing. To prove his lie, Seokjin drops the hand pressing against his forehead. 

 

He’s about to continue forward when Jungkook suggests, “Shall I walk in front, Your Royal Highness?” 

 

Seokjin’s brows furrow, not quite understanding why Jungkook would ask such a question. “No need to,” he replies.

 

Jungkook intercepts right away, “Are you sure?” Seokjin could hear him walk forward, closer to Seokjin. “From what I see, you seem to be daydreaming like last time.” Seokjin flushes at his words. “Also.” Now Jungkook was standing next to Seokjin, facing him. 

 

Seokjin hangs his head, looking away as his forehead throbs. “You wouldn’t want others to see how red your forehead is right now,” Jungkook states casually. 

 

Seokjin parts his lips, trying to save what was last of his pride. Jungkook must be lying. His forehead hurts but it’s not likely to be red. He didn’t hit his forehead that hard. Also, Jungkook didn’t even get a good look at him. “You’re lying..” Seokjin says, rubbing his forehead self-consciously.

 

Ignoring him, Jungkook adds, “It’s as red as the King’s hanbok.” 

 

Seokjin’s jaw drops at his comparison. “It is not,” he defends, whipping his head to Jungkook. 

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen as he sees Jungkook’s face. Contrary to the serious tone of his voice, he has a small smile on his lips. Then, surprising Seokjin even more, he chuckles. Seokjin continues staring, still holding his forehead. 

 

Jungkook’s chuckle simmers down as he reaches for Seokjin’s wrist. His cold fingers ghost over Seokjin’s wrist, as if hesitant. His eyes meet Seokjin’s. “May I see?” Jungkook asks voice light as traces of his chuckle earlier remain.

 

Seokjin doesn’t answer, too occupied with taking in this new side of Jungkook. A side where his piercing eyes soften, jaw not clenched, the ghost of a smile over his lips. He looks warm and comforting.