Chapter Twelve

For The Reason That

Everyone is wearing white and mourning the passing of Lady Yeona. Seokjin places white chrysanthemums on top of the casket. White roses and white lilies also accompany the top of the casket. 

 

Prince Taehyung who came up to the casket with Seokjin leads him away as other people pay their respect. 

 

The air has turned colder, signaling the end of autumn. Seokjin’s cheeks are frozen and he’s shivering for they have been outside since dawn for the funeral. “We can head back inside if you like,” Prince Taehyung tells him, nose red from the cold. 

 

“You can go. I want to be here longer,” Seokjin says, watching the line of people going to the casket. Prince Taehyung stays with him but they don’t exchange words. Seokjin’s heart feels heavy, knowing the fact that he will no longer be visiting Lady Yeona at the Palace of Chrysanthemum. 

 

As morning is concluding, fire is taken to the casket. People start to leave as the funeral has come to an end. Prince Taehyung leaves but Seokjin stays sitting in his seat, watching as the smoke rises into the air. 

 

He wonders if Lady Yeona is still with them or if she has already moved on and is now watching them from above. Seokjin’s eyes fall on the lone person still by Lady Yeona’s side. Tears come to his eyes. He can’t imagine how Jungkook is feeling.

 

Jungkook stands close to the casket, looking straight ahead despite the flames and smoke. Seokjin has not spoken a word with Jungkook yet. 

 

“Your Royal Highness,” Hyeon whispers. Seokjin glances away from Jungkook. “His Royal Highness is having breakfast. He requests you eat with him if you haven’t eaten yet.” 

 

“Tell him I already ate,” Seokjin commands. 

 

“But you have not, my prince.” Hyeon bows her head. “Though her Majesty has left us, I’m sure she is still watching over us and would not approve of you skipping your meals.” Seokjin sighs. Last night he skipped dinner, not having an appetite. 

 

Hyeon ushers him away. Seokjin turns his head, sparing one last look at Jungkook who is now completely alone. 

 

~~~~

 

“These past couple of days must’ve been very hard for you,” Prince Taehyung says as he walks Seokjin back to the Palace of Rumex. “I heard you and Her Majesty were close.” 

 

Though not having the heart to do it, Seokjin offers a small smile at Prince Taehyung. “I’m fine.” His thoughts stray to Jungkook. ‘Is he fine?’ Seokjin wonders, the smile leaving his face. 

 

Seokjin should talk to him. Check up on him to see how he’s doing. He hopes someone has already spoken to Jungkook just to let him know he’s not alone. 

 

“If you aren’t occupied, I would like to visit you later this afternoon at your palace,” Prince Taehyung tells him. 

 

“I apologize,” Seokjin stops walking. “I’m busy today. Perhaps another time will do.” The words taste odd to his tongue for he has never declined Prince Taehyung before. Prince Taehyung tilts his head at Seokjin, probably taken back by Seokjin’s words. 

 

“I see. Another time it will have to be then,” Prince Taehyung says, smiling. Seokjin looks down at the ground where no plant is alive. He flinches when Prince Taehyung’s fingertips touch his cheek.

 

Seokjin stares wide-eyed at the crown prince who looks equally shocked as Seokjin. Prince Taehyung has touched Seokjin before and all of which brought warmth to Seokjin. 

 

Prince Taehyung tries again to caress Seokjin’s cheek but Seokjin takes a step back. He’s not sure why he did that but immediately he feels awkward after doing it. Prince Taehyung drops his hand, looking away from Seokjin. “You’re not unwell, are you?”

 

“I’m not,” Seokjin speaks uncertainly. Why did he move away from Prince Taehyung like that? “I’ll go get some rest and hopefully feel better.” Seokjin takes a bow. “Thank you for walking me back to my palace, Your Royal Highness.”

 

Prince Taehyung nods, smiling as if their awkward encounter didn’t happen. 

 

~~~~

 

“He’s not here?”

 

“Nope,” the servant answers. 

 

“Then where is he?” Seokjin asks, concerned. 

 

The servant ducks her head, “I don’t know. He came back late last night but only for a bit before leaving again.” 

 

Seokjin’s brows furrow. That means that Jungkook must’ve been by the casket all day yesterday. Only coming back to the Palace of Tiger Lily when it was night but not even staying. 

 

“I’m sorry, Your Royal Highness,” the servant apologizes. 

 

Seokjin brushes off her apology. “It’s okay. I’ll go find him.” He leaves the Palace of Tiger Lily. ‘Where might Jungkook be?’ Seokjin thinks. ‘Perhaps he’s where they’re keeping Lady Yeona’s ashes.’ 

 

Seokjin heads there first. However, Jungkook isn’t there. ‘Could he be at the field?’ Seokjin wonders. He must be. No one else other than Seokjin goes there. With his basket of food that he made for Jungkook, Seokjin makes his way there. 

 

He’s sure Jungkook is there without a doubt but he’s proven wrong when he arrives at an empty field. “Where could he be?” Seokjin wonders aloud. He yelps when he feels a big drop of rain hit his head. More follow after it and Seokjin hurries back to the palace. 

 

Seokjin returns to the Palace of Rumex. Despite Seokjin doing his best to protect the basket, it’s wet and all the food inside is cold. Seokjin sighs but discards the food. He gets to cooking again. 

 

“Have you found him yet, Your Royal Highness?” Hyeon questions, noticing Seokjin’s dejected face. Seokjin shakes his head. Hyeon presses his lips together, “Mayhaps it’s best if you stop for today. It’s raining and who knows where he could be. His servants can go look-“

 

“No,” Seokjin interrupts her. “I want to find him.” He puts down the knife in his hand. “I don’t want him to feel alone.” The memory of Jungkook standing by himself at the funeral resurface. Remembering that Hyeon is here, “Also, imagine being in his shoes Hyeon.” 

 

Seokjin goes back to cutting the vegetables needed for his dishes, “You leave on a trip for work and upon that trip, your receive news that your mother has passed away. How would you feel?” 

 

Hyeon frowns, understanding. She offers a hand in helping Seokjin with the cutting. 

 

Seokjin finishes cooking the dishes and the rain is still falling. He leaves to go search for Jungkook and Hyeon goes with him, wanting to help. “Where to, Your Royal Highness?” Hyeon asks as they leave the Palace of Rumex. 

 

“I heard that His Highness leaves the palace often,” Seokjin tells her. Although, it’s less of the fact that he heard but he knows. “I’m thinking he went outside of the palace. Perhaps to the marketplace.” Seokjin presses his lips together. 

 

It would make sense for Jungkook to be there for he always goes there. Yet, Seokjin’s gut is telling him Jungkook isn’t there. “You go there and search for him, Hyeon,” Seokjin tells her. He looks up at the crying sky. “I’ll go to the Palace of Chrysanthemum.”

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin feels goosebumps as he walks the empty halls of Lady Yeona’s palace. The servants have already cleaned out everything. All of Lady Yeona’s servants have moved to the other parts of the palace, becoming servants for others. 

 

Seokjin checks the pavilion first. The flowers are all slumping from the rain and the grief of losing their owner. There’s no sign of Jungkook. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t give up and continues to roam the vacant palace. Further, into the palace, Jungkook comes into sight. He’s sitting by a fountain, drenched in rain. Seokjin’s eyes widen. ‘How long has he been sitting there?’ 

 

He sets the basket of food under the awning. With his umbrella, he walks to where Jungkook is. The rain is loud, silencing Seokjin’s footsteps. 

 

Jungkook breaks out of his daze upon feeling no more rain on him. He raises his head to meet the owner of the umbrella. “Seokjin…” Jungkook blinks as if not believing the sight of him there.

 

Many questions flood into Seokjin’s mind. ‘How long have you been out here in the rain? Have you been eating? Are you doing well?’ In the loud rain, Seokjin speaks quietly, “I’ve been worried sick about you.” Jungkook makes a face, not catching onto Seokjin’s words. Seokjin shakes his head and this time louder, “I brought you food.”

 

“You didn’t have to,” Jungkook says. 

 

“Of course I did. You haven’t eaten been eating, have you?” Seokjin asks, though already knowing the answer. Jungkook doesn’t say anything. Seokjin looks around, the rain not seeming to end anytime soon. “Let’s go inside.” 

 

Jungkook nods and together they walk to the Palace of Chrysanthemum. Seokjin reaches for the handle of the door to open it. “It won’t open. They locked all the doors,” Jungkook tells him, sitting on a bench underneath the roof. 

 

“Right,” Seokjin realizes, retracting his hand. He takes a seat next to Jungkook who’s still watching the rainfall. He starts taking out the food he cooked. “I made a lot of dishes.” He starts to plate the food for Jungkook. “Feel free to eat to your heart’s content.” Seokjin holds the plate out to Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook parts his lips as if to deny but closes them and takes the plate, “Thank you, Jin.” As he eats, Seokjin searches for the bottle of water he brought with him. He finds it, taking it out. 

 

“Drink some water too,” Seokjin says, handing Jungkook the water. Jungkook nods, taking it. Seokjin takes out his handkerchief for Jungkook to wipe the rainwater off of himself but notices how he’s still eating, eyes still on the rain. 

 

Hesitantly, Seokjin pats Jungkook’s forehead with the handkerchief. “If you ever need someone to talk to, you can talk to me.” He wipes Jungkook’s cheek. “I’m here for you, Jungkook.” 

 

Jungkook stops eating. He turns to Seokjin who’s still holding the handkerchief to his cheek. Jungkook meets Seokjin’s eyes, “I…” His eyes waver.

 

“Your Royal Highness!” Seokjin and Jungkook both flinch. Seokjin pulls his hand away from Jungkook, turning to the voice. Hyeon comes around the corner, breathing heavily, “I didn’t see His Highness at…” She notices Jungkook sitting beside Seokjin. “Your Highness,” Hyeon bows. 

 

~~~~

 

“I apologize for Hyeon’s interruption,” Seokjin apologizes.

 

“It’s fine,” Jungkook says, glancing at the gate where Hyeon is waiting for Seokjin. She waves and Jungkook waves back. He turns to Seokjin. “Thank you for the meal. It was delicious.” 

 

“Make sure to continue eating, alright. No skipping,” Seokjin tells him like he’s a child. Jungkook nods. Though not smiling, he looks brighter than before. “Make sure to get lots of sleep as well,” Seokjin adds to which Jungkook nods again. “I’ll visit you tomorrow at your palace,” Seokjin annunciates slowly. This is the first time he suggested meeting up with Jungkook. 

 

“Actually,” Jungkook starts. “May I take you someplace tomorrow?” 

 

Seokjin’s puzzled at his invitation but smiles, “May I know where?” 

 

“It’s a secret,” Jungkook says, a slight smile on his lips and Seokjin’s so relieved to see him smiling again, even if a little. 

 

“Then may I know the dress code?” Seokjin asks. He wonders if Jungkook is going to take him to the marketplace. If so, he needs to dress properly for that to not stick out in his royal clothes. 

 

“Just wear something you’re comfortable in,” Jungkook informs him. “And come early.” 

 

~~~~

 

Like Jungkook told him, Seokjin shows up at the Palace of Tiger Lily early. Jungkook is all dressed and ready to go. Seokjin’s red headband accompanies his forehead. Seokjin suppresses his pleased smile from seeing Jungkook with it again. 

 

He’s also not alone. Next to him are Noir and Caramel. Seokjin tilts his head as he goes over to Caramel, greeting the horse. “Now I’m really curious about where you’re going to take me,” Seokjin turns to Jungkook. 

 

He looks better than he did yesterday. More rested and his aura’s not as gray. “I’ll give you a hint,” Jungkook says as he gets on Noir. “It’s someplace far away.” Seokjin chuckles at Jungkook’s not very helpful hint and gets on Caramel.  

 

They leave the Palace of Tiger Lily. Yet, unlike the other times, it’s not out the back gate but one of the side exits. “I can borrow you all day, correct?” asks Jungkook as they ride further away from the palace. 

 

“Yes, you can,” Seokjin clarifies. “I told Hyeon that I’ll be out with you all day.” This is the first time he didn’t lie to Hyeon. If he’s to continue being with Jungkook like this then there’s no need in hiding it from Hyeon. She’ll understand that Seokjin’s just being a good friend.

 

Jungkook leads the way with Noir. Seokjin and Caramel trail behind, still new to all of this. Seokjin peers at Jungkook who focus on going to their destination. He almost forgot about the fact that Jungkook and Prince Taehyung are brothers. 

 

Seokjin digs through his memories. He can’t remember a time when the two spoke and/or acknowledged each other. “What’s on your mind?” Jungkook notices his distant eyes. He has slowed down, now by Seokjin’s side. 

 

“I’m just trying to guess where it is that you’re taking me,” Seokjin says, not telling the whole truth. 

 

“And?” Jungkook asks, anticipation in his eyes. 

 

“I’ve no clue,” Seokjin admits. 

 

“Then it’ll be a fun surprise,” Jungkook says casually.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin’s eyes enlarge as he spots the blue waves of the ocean. “I know I’m cutting it close as winter should be here any day now but I wanted to keep my promise,” Jungkook says as he gets off of Noir. 

 

He offers a hand to Seokjin whose still on Caramel, marveling at the water. “Shall we go closer?” Jungkook asks, happy at the sight of Seokjin’s marvel.

 

“Of course!” Seokjin beams, taking Jungkook’s hand and getting down from the horse. He inhales, smelling the sea. Jungkook leads him by the hand, walking towards the crashing waves. 

 

They stop as the water shyly touches their toes. Seokjin smiles and bends down to get a closer look at the water. The water skitters back to the ocean, leaving behind smooth sand and foam. 

 

Seokjin pokes at the foam which closely resembles the foam he gets when taking a bath. “Don’t leave it on your hand for too long or it’ll make your hand stink,” Jungkook tells him as he too bends down. Quickly, Seokjin dips his hand into the water. He did not expect it to be so cold. Almost freezing. 

 

Seokjin gasp, pulling his hand back and holding it. “It’s so cold,” he pouts, watching the clear water move back. 

 

Jungkook smiles a little, “Of course. It’s the ocean. It doesn’t come heat up. Even during the summer, it’s still quite cold.” Seokjin’s startled as Jungkook takes his hand, blowing and rubbing it.

 

Seokjin stares at the young prince for a moment. What Jungkook’s doing must be working because Seokjin can feel his hand getting warmer the longer Jungkook holds it. 

 

He glances away, eyes falling on the water which is now coming closer than before. With his other hand, Seokjin scoops the water, biting his lip at the cold before throwing the water at Jungkook. 

 

The water splashes Jungkook in the face and he closes his eyes at the impact, lips pressed in a thin line. Giggles burst from Seokjin as Jungkook wipes his face with his hand. His eyes open and he has a small smile on his lips before he too dips his hand in the water. 

 

Seokjin yelps and covers his face with both of his hands as Jungkook flicks the water at him. He barely makes it in time as the water hits his hand, narrowly missing his face. Seokjin reaches for the water again, Jungkook doing so as well. The two start splashing water at each other, laughing as each other missed. 

 

At one point Jungkook started running from Seokjin. Seokjin chase after him, ignoring his soaking shoes as they run right by the water. He catches up with Jungkook, busy splashing him with water, oblivious to the rising tide. 

 

Seokjin’s laughing as he takes a step back from Jungkook who throws a handful of water at him. Jungkook’s also laughing. A big and beautiful smile adorning his face. A sight Seokjin missed seeing. 

 

He shields his face from Jungkook whose approaching closer. Turned away, Seokjin continues flicking water at him. “Get back!” Seokjin yells as he does so, hearing Jungkook move through the water which was now up to their knees. 

 

“I don’t want to!” Jungkook yells back, close. Seokjin turns around, struggling in the water to get away from Jungkook. Jungkook pulls him back by the elbow and Seokjin stumbles forward, bracing himself to hit the water but Jungkook wraps his arms around his waist, securing him.

 

Seokjin’s back hits Jungkook’s chest. “Jungkook, let me go!” Seokjin demands, prying at Jungkook’s stubborn arms holding him. 

 

Jungkook does the opposite, clutching him tighter and resting his chin on Seokjin’s shoulder. “Shh,” he whispers into Seokjin’s ear, sending tingles down his spine. “You’ll scare them away,” he says in a hushed voice. 

 

Seokjin stills, eyes trailing to where Jungkook’s looking. He doesn’t see anything at first but then a minke whale jumps out of the water, making a splash before going back under. Another minke whale makes its appearance, copying its partner. “Wow,” Seokjin breathes out as the two whales’ fins stick out from the surface, both going under together. 

 

“I know right,” Jungkook agrees, equally amazed as Seokjin. 

 

“Minke whales usually travel alone. I’m thrilled that we were able to see two,” Seokjin notes, watching as the whales disappear underneath the surface. 

 

“They must be close then,” Jungkook comments lowly but it’s clear as he’s right by Seokjin’s ear. Remembering their situation, Seokjin tries at Jungkook’s arms again which are still tight around him. 

 

“Let me go,” Seokjin demands once more, turning around in Jungkook’s hold to face him. 

 

Jungkook has a smile on his lips to which Seokjin thinks is of fondness but it can’t be. “What if I don’t want to?” Jungkook asks, almost playful but more of something else. 

 

“Jungkook!” Seokjin scolds, pushing at his shoulders. 

 

Jungkook laughs, the sound pleasant and filling Seokjin’s ears. One hand comes up, holding Seokjin’s hand. Seokjin stops, thoughts fumbled as Jungkook’s hand envelops his. His eyes fall on Jungkook’s, looking for an explanation. Looking for the reason why his heart feels funny. 

 

Jungkook’s eyes trail down to Seokjin’s lips before coming back up. Slowly, he leans forward, eyes still on Seokjin’s. Seokjin hears a million thoughts racing through his head. A million voices telling him what to do. A million choices. He chooses the one that tells him to let his eyes close, ignoring all the others and following the one that’s in the best interest of his heart. 

 

Cutting in on the moment, the sound of a wave could be heard. It sounds louder and harsher than the others. Seokjin opens his eyes as Jungkook pulls him into his chest, clutching him tightly with his eyes squeezed shut. Seokjin does the same as the wave hits them, the water now up to their waists.

 

The water rushes past them, pushing against them and Seokjin feels like he’s about to lose his balance but Jungkook keeps him in place with his hold. Seokjin watches as the water returns to the ocean, leaving them be. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin lays the wet clothes on the rock to dry. He brushes his slightly wet hair out of his face, looking down at the sand where his bare feet are staring back up at him. He sighs, knowing it’ll take forever for his shoes and clothes to dry. 

 

Seokjin twists the end of the shirt he still has on, water dripping from it. That'll have to do since they didn’t bring any spare clothes. He goes back to Jungkook who’s sitting on the sand, finger drawing something on the ground. 

 

Upon Seokjin’s arrival, Jungkook runs his hand across the sand, destroying the drawing. Seokjin pouts, “Why’d you ruin it?”

 

“It was nothing,” Jungkook dismisses. 

 

Seokjin sits down next to him. “How are you doing?” Despite being with Jungkook the whole day and all those other days, they haven’t directly spoken about Lady Yeona’s death yet.

 

“I’m good,” Jungkook replies, looking down at his hands. 

 

Seokjin presses his lips together. Lady Yeona’s death was unexpected. She was ill but it didn’t seem that bad. It was a shock to everyone. It must’ve been for Jungkook as well. “I’m..” Jungkook’s eyes are still on his hands, avoiding Seokjin. “worried about you,” Seokjin says quietly. 

 

Jungkook doesn’t say anything but Seokjin continues. “I don’t know what to say. I don’t know how you feel but if you’re struggling,” Seokjin’s reminded of Jungkook isolating himself from everyone after he came back from the trip. “I think you should talk to someone. I’ll listen if you want me to. Or if you don’t need to talk, that’s okay as well-“

 

Jungkook suddenly hides his face in Seokjin’s shoulder, shoulders shaking. Seokjin wraps an arm around him, quiet and just comforting him. Jungkook doesn’t say anything but Seokjin can feel the tears stain his shirt. Seokjin lightly brushes the back of Jungkook’s head with his hand. They stay like this until Jungkook raises his head from Seokjin’s shoulder, leaning his head on it. 

 

“I miss her,” Jungkook croaks. 

 

“I do too,” Seokjin says, arm still wrapped around Jungkook. 

 

“I was running late the morning I had to leave on that trip,” Jungkook starts softly. “I didn’t even say bye to her properly,” he chokes. 

 

Seokjin pats his shoulder gently. “It’s okay, Jungkook.” He rests his head on top of Jungkook’s. “It’s okay.” Jungkook continues to pour his thoughts into Seokjin. Telling stories of the late Lady Yeona. After the storytelling, Jungkook slumps against Seokjin. 

 

“I feel like I could’ve been a better son-“ 

 

“You were,” Seokjin says right away. “You love her a lot and she loved you a lot as well.” The memory of Seokjin seeing Jungkook and Lady Yeona together for the first time resurfaces. “The first time I saw you two, I knew that you two have a very strong bond.” 

 

Seokjin recalls usually seeing Jungkook whenever he went to the Palace of Chrysanthemum. “You always visited her or she always visited you. She nagged and teased you but I know she didn’t mean it. That she’s just worried about you and cared for you.” 

 

Jungkook doesn’t say anything and leans into Seokjin’s touch. Seokjin welcomes him. 

 

They stay like that. Jungkook leaning on Seokjin’s shoulder and Seokjin resting his head on top of his with an arm around him. At the moment, the only thing on Seokjin’s mind is Jungkook. He doesn’t want the young prince to repress his feelings. He wants to be a shoulder for Jungkook to lean on. Wants to be there for Jungkook whenever and wherever. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t realize the time until he hears even breathing from Jungkook. “Jungkook?” Seokjin tries quietly, lifting his head to look at him. Jungkook’s eyes are closed. His chest rising slightly as he takes even breaths. 

 

Seokjin smiles at the tranquility and peacefulness of Jungkook. Hopefully, he feels much better now. Seokjin doesn’t think about anything as he goes back to resting his head on Jungkook’s, letting the view of the water disappear underneath his eyelids. 

 

 

———————————————————

 

 

Jungkook yawns, peeking a sleepy eye open. The ocean’s waves greet him. He feels a weight on top of his head. Gently, he removes his head from under Seokjin’s. Instead, resting Seokjin’s head on his shoulder. 

 

Jungkook can’t help it as his lips welcome a smile. Glad at how he’s able to hold Seokjin. He pulls Seokjin closer, leaning his head on Seokjin’s. His smile fades as he stares out into the ocean, thoughts of his mother flooding his mind. 

 

He wonders if his mother is watching him right now. Is she disappointed? Is she mad? Is she unknown to what he’s doing? 

 

Before the sadness and blue can engulf him again he hears Seokjin mumble something, bringing him out of his thoughts. 

 

That’s right. Seokjin’s by his side. Jungkook lets his eyelids fall. He doesn’t know how long this will go on. Doesn’t know if this should continue. Doesn’t know what he’s doing. But at this moment, he’ll just go with the flow. 

 

Jungkook finds Seokjin’s hand and interlocks them.

 

 

———————————————————

 

 

“You have to find a smooth rock but not circular,” Jungkook tells Seokjin as he digs through the rocks. 

 

“Why not?” Seokjin picks up a very flat stone but in the shape of a circle. 

 

“Because it doesn’t have any points and the points are what makes it skip on the water,” Jungkook protrudes two triangular stones. “Come on. Let me show you.” He runs to the water and Seokjin runs after, eager to learn how to skip a stone. 

 

“You want to hold it back like this,” Jungkook moves his arm to the side. “Don’t throw the rock and don’t move your arm. Just flick your wrist like this.” He flicks his wrist and the stone flings to the water, skipping three times before sinking. 

 

Seokjin gasps amazed. “I want to try,” he says eagerly. 

 

Jungkook smiles and slips the other stone into his hand. “Remember what I told you.” Seokjin nods and holds his arm out to the side, bending it slightly. “Just a small flick will do the trick,” Jungkook reminds him. 

 

Following his instruction, Seokjin flicks his wrist. The stone flies to the water, skipping two times before falling into the depth. Seokjin smiles excitedly. He didn’t think he would get it on his first try. He claps. “You’re an excellent teacher,” he turns towards Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook smiles bashfully, “Or you’re just a great student.” 

 

“But only great while you’re excellent,” Seokjin says, smiling. Jungkook chuckles and Seokjin’s smile widens. 

 

They continue skipping stone, trying to see who can make more skips. “Now that we’ve been practicing for a while,” Jungkook turns towards Seokjin. “Let’s compete. Whoever’s rock skip more is the winner. The loser has to carry the winner and run across the whole beach.” 

 

“The whole beach?!” Seokjin exclaims. “The beach goes on forever. Not to mention, you’re big and heavy,” he complains. 

 

Jungkook laughs, “Then you have to win if you don’t want to carry me.” Moving with cockiness, Jungkook steps towards the water, stone in hand. “I’ll go first.” He flicks the rock and it skips four times. 

 

Seokjin sigh, already visioning him carrying Jungkook and running across the beach. The most he’s ever gotten was four skips and that was very rare. Occurring only two times during their practice. 

 

Jungkook bows exaggeratedly, “Your turn.” 

 

Seokjin picks up one of the many flat stones they collected. He rubs the stone between his fingers as he proceeds closer to the water. Even if he manages to get four skips, it’ll be a tie and they’ll go again. Seokjin doesn’t think he’ll be able to get four skips in a row. 

 

Wanting to get it over with, Seokjin doesn’t think about it anymore and flicks his wrist. Maybe he can plead out of the punishment. ‘One.’ Jungkook’ll understand him. ‘Two.’ Hopefully. ‘Three.’ Seokjin shakes his head. Nope. Jungkook is too stubborn and competitive. ‘Four.’ He won’t change the punishment. 

 

‘Five.’ Seokjin can’t believe his eyes as the stone sinks into the water after five skips. Five! Seokjin jumps up and down in glee, clapping. “I win!” he cheers. He turns towards Jungkook who stares dumbfounded at the ocean. 

 

Seokjin skips over to Jungkook’s side, nudging him. “Are you ready for that jog?” he teases. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin squeezes his eyes shut, feeling the wind against his face. He opens them, smiling as the water sprinkles onto his face. Jungkook’s jogging right by the water with Seokjin on his back. 

 

Seokjin tightens his hold around Jungkook’s neck, his legs on both sides of Jungkook who has his arms under them to hold him up. “This is more fun than riding a horse,” Seokjin jokes, laughing into Jungkook’s ear. 

 

Jungkook comes to a halt, making Seokjin frown. Then instead of running along the perimeter of the water, Jungkook starts walking towards it. “Jungkook,” Seokjin moves his head, looking over Jungkook’s shoulder. “Where are you going?” Jungkook keeps walking towards the water. 

 

Lifeless and not listening, Seokjin tries to get off of Jungkook’s back but he holds Seokjin tightly. “What are you doing?” Seokjin questions in a panic. Jungkook’s almost knee-deep into the water now. 

 

He finally turns his head to meet Seokjin. “I just thought you wanted to see the water up close,” he says innocently but his eyes tell a different story. 

 

Seokjin clicks his tongue. “Of course you would do something like this. You’re so competitive.” He won this fair and square. He’ll enjoy it despite Jungkook trying to thwart it. He goes back to leaning against Jungkook’s back. “Well, this view is pretty. Thank you for considering it,” Seokjin says purposely. 

 

Pushing his buttons, Jungkook’s arms that were underneath him starts to loosen. “Jungkook!” Seokjin yells as Jungkook removes his arms. Seokjin wraps his legs around Jungkook’s torso, scared of falling into the water. “Take me back to the sand,” he demands, clinging on for his dear life. It took forever for his clothes to dry. He doesn’t want to get wet again. 

 

“Why? I thought you were enjoying the view,” Jungkook says, bratty. 

 

Seokjin ignores him, fighting not to fall. “You’re so mean,” he pouts as he tightens his arms around Jungkook. “I was actually starting to like you,” he mumbles, eyeing the water. His toes were wet now.

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen as Jungkook turns around, heading back for the sand. He wraps his arms underneath Seokjin’s legs, holding him properly as he continues to walk along the water. 

 

Seokjin’s shocked at his sudden behavior change but smiles and pats Jungkook’s head. “Good boy,” he says. Jungkook doesn’t say anything and continues to walk calmly. 

 

Seokjin looks at the horizon. The sun is setting. “Jin,” Jungkook says. 

 

“Yes,” Seokjin says, still looking at the horizon. 

 

“Thank you,” Jungkook thanks sincerely. “For everything.” He doesn’t say what for but Seokjin knows.

 

Seokjin smiles, “You’re welcome, Jungkook.” He’s happy that he helped Jungkook feel better. 

 

“And..sorry about teasing you so much,” Jungkook apologizes. 

 

Seokjin’s surprised at the apology. Was it because of what he said earlier? “It’s okay. You don’t mean any harm by it, do you?” 

 

Jungkook shakes his head right away. “Of course not.” 

 

“Then you’re forgiven,” Seokjin says. “And it’s not like I forbid you to joke around with me. Just not all the time, alright? I get confused sometimes when you do…” Seokjin thinks back to the times he feels like Jungkook is playing with him. 

 

“Okay, I won’t so much then,” Jungkook says, genuine. 

 

Seokjin looks back at the sky. “Look at the sky. Isn’t it beautiful?” The sky has turned from a blue to a mix of pink and purple. 

 

Jungkook glances at the sky then turn his head to Seokjin who’s too busy admiring the sky to notice. “Yes, it is.”