Chapter One

For The Reason That

“Your Royal Highness, it’s getting late. You should go to bed.” 

 

Seokjin continues staring at the palace across from him. Palace of Calycanthus. “I’m not tired. If you are, you can go to bed,” Seokjin tells the servant. He continues staring at the Palace of Calycanthus miserably. 

 

“Your Royal Highness, you have not been sleeping nor eating for three days now. For tonight, would you please go to bed?” the servant tells him, worried. 

 

“Do I have to repeat myself?” Seokjin attempts to sound stern only to sound as anguish as he’s feeling. “I don’t want to sleep.” 

 

“But-“

 

“If I’m tired, I’ll go to bed. If I’m hungry, I’ll tell you. Just leave me alone,” Seokjin’s voice cracks. “Please, Hyeon.” The servant hesitantly leaves the room. 

 

Once alone, a tear slip from Seokjin’s eyes. Palace of Calycanthus stays the same. No one comes in. No one comes out. Seokjin hurriedly wipes his tear. However, more tears threaten to fall. 

 

Holding back his tears, he turns to his gayageum. Putting it over his lap, he starts to pluck the strings of the instrument. The melody that comes out is shaky, sad, and ugly. 

 

‘How is it that I find something else more intriguing than this melody?’

 

The gayageum makes an unpleasant noise as Seokjin recalls a faint memory. His tears escape silently as he looks back at the Palace of Calycanthus. Hoping-wishing for his husband, Prince Taehyung to come and visit him. 

 

 

***A Few Months Earlier***

 

 

Seokjin glances at his new surroundings. So different and foreign. He can’t imagine this being his new home. A big part of him wants to turn back and run home. However, if he does so, he’ll only be disappointing his parents. 

 

So, he keeps his head high and eyes forward. That is until he meets the King and Queen of the North. He falls into a deep bow that almost makes his head kiss the ground. Then, he raises his head to greet them, “Greetings from the West Kingdom, Your Majesties.” 

 

Growing up, he learned to keep his face neutral at all times. So, he let his eyes glaze over the King and Queen silently. He was taken aback by how stoic they looked. Maybe that was just how the Northerners were. As cold as their winters. 

 

The King clears his throat, “The trip here wasn’t a bother to you, was it, Prince Seokjin?” 

 

Seokjin wanted to say yes for it was bothersome. There were so many mountains. It was very cold as winter just ended and they ran into lots of dangerous creatures. Yet, he smiles politely. “Of course not, Your Majesty. Thank you for sending your men to accompany me on the trip here. It went smoothly thanks to your help.” 

 

The King nods slowly, liking his answer. “You must be exhausted. I’ll have you shown to your palace.” As Seokjin had learned in his kingdom, the North Kingdom’s palace is huge. 

 

Unlike his, where there was one big palace. The North had sub-palaces among the palace. He was currently in the main palace where the King could be found most of the time. However, he too had his mini palace. Together, the main palace and other palaces were called the Imperial Palace. 

 

“Before you go, you should meet the crown prince, your future husband,” the King tells him. Seokjin deflates a little. That’s right. Marriage. That’s why he’s here and away from home. The King turns his head to the side and Seokjin follows him. 

 

He had not noticed that someone was sitting there in the first place. A young man who resembles the king quite a bit with soft black hair glances at him. “Prince Seokjin, meet Prince Taehyung, the crown prince and your soon-to-be husband.” 

 

“Pleased to meet you, Prince Seokjin,” Prince Taehyung says, eyes on Seokjin. His voice’s deeper than Seokjin thought. It doesn’t match his young features. Yet, Seokjin finds the voice echoing in his head. 

 

“Pleased to meet you too, Your Royal Highness,” Seokjin says and bows. When he raises his head, Prince Taehyung’s eyes are still on him even though the King had started speaking again. 

 

As Seokjin takes his leave to rest at his palace, he can’t help but remember the crown prince’s eyes. 

 

~~~~

 

It’s been a week since Seokjin arrived. He finds himself alone for most of the time. He meets with the King and Queen here and there. He tries his best to be in their best favor. The King seems to be fine with him. The Queen, however, is harder to read. Just two days ago, Seokjin spent the whole day with her, carving intricate designs on fruits. He had cut his finger and he knew she took note of that. 

 

He could not say the same for Prince Taehyung. He couldn’t say anything to Prince Taehyung for he has not seen him since arriving. 

 

For the first time in Seokjin’s life, he felt alone. 

 

“Your Royal Highness,” one of the servants fitting his robe starts. “Did you not get enough sleep last night?” 

 

“I slept fine last night,” Seokjin answers blankly. He has not grown closer to these new servants as well, leaving him no space to breathe and be himself. 

 

Seokjin could hear loud noises coming from the main palace. Many nobles must’ve shown up today. After all, today is the biggest event of the year. Seokjin could hear a couple of the servants gasp, bringing him out of his thoughts. 

 

He had not even noticed they were done fixing his outfit, too deep in his thoughts. The servants have stepped away from him, staring at him wide-eyed. “You look so handsome, Your Royal Highness.” 

 

Seokjin was used to hearing that. He turns to the mirror and his eyes widen. He was wearing a dark royal blue hanbok adorned with colorful designs on his shoulders and some at the bottom of his sleeves. The finishing touch was the hat on his head which had colorful beads in the front and back of his head. 

 

He did look handsome. However, his eyes lack the sparkle he had whenever he looked at his reflection at home. 

 

~~~~

 

The wedding ceremony took the whole day(as expected). Even though just this morning, Seokjin was yearning for someone to converse with, he just wanted to be alone halfway through the wedding. 

 

He should’ve known better than to think like that because that was certainly, not happening tonight. 

 

Seokjin glance at Prince Taehyung who was awkwardly sitting on the bed with him. For tonight, Prince Taehyung would be staying at his palace. Palace of Rumex. 

He was dressed in a black hanbok with colorful designs on his shoulder and at the end of the sleeves just like Seokjin. He also wore the same hat as Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin has to admit, the crown prince looks just as handsome as him. Despite being younger than Seokjin by three years, today he looked mature. Already, word was going around that they were the most handsome royal couple in this dynasty. 

 

Prince Taehyung clears his throat, earning Seokjin’s attention. He turns to Seokjin, “How are you enjoying your stay in the Palace of Rumex so far?” 

 

“I like it,” Seokjin finds himself saying. Though it does seem a bit big, he’s starting to like it. 

 

“Really?” Taehyung asks. “Personally, I’d say it’s too big.” He must’ve noticed Seokjin’s eyes widen a bit. “You were thinking the same, weren’t you?” 

 

Seokjin’s surprised at the crown prince’s question. Did he give his reaction away? Was he not being neutral enough? Does he seem ungrateful now? Seokjin’s mouth opens and closes as he thinks of what to do. 

 

Suddenly, a sound Seokjin has not heard for a while comes bubbling out of Prince Taehyung. Laughter. The sight is odd but Seokjin’s eyes welcome it. The crown prince looks much more like his age and less intimidating. 

 

He stops laughing but has a soft smile on his lips, “You know, you don’t have to lie to me.” 

 

“I wasn’t lying, Prince Taehyung.” Seokjin could feel his cheeks getting warmer. “I do like it. It just feels a bit..empty.” 

 

Prince Taehyung laughs again, making Seokjin’s face and chest warmer. 

 

~~~~

 

It’s been a week since their wedding ceremony, and to Seokjin’s surprise, he finds himself looking forward to Prince Taehyung’s visits. Today is no different. “Prince Taehyung’s coming?” he asks the servant, eyes lighting up. 

 

The servant nods excitedly. “When I went to the main palace, I heard him tell the King he’s going to come to visit you.” 

 

Seokjin can’t help the smile that makes an appearance on his face. “Should I prepare tea or should I carve some fruits for him, Hyeon?” he asks the servant for advice. 

 

Hyeon beams, “I heard that his Royal Highness love sweets. You should serve him the flower cake you made today!” 

 

“You’re right!” Seokjin’s smile widens, showing his teeth. “I never offered him a cake before. I should go get it ready right now.” However, before he could get up, a knock sounded on his door. 

 

“Who is it?” Seokjin asks, sharing a nervous look with Hyeon. 

 

“It’s Prince Taehyung. I’m not interrupting something, am I?” Prince Taehyung’s deep voice asks from the other side of the door. 

 

Seokjin shares a panicked look with Hyeon. “Forget about the cake for now. I’ll go get it but right now, you need to look your best,” Hyeon tells him in a hushed voice. 

 

“I’ll be right there, Prince Taehyung,” Seokjin tells the crown prince as Hyeon pulls him over to his vanity. She opens his drawer of hairpins, picking out one with a small pink flower and two small gold branches with white leaves. Pinning it in his hair and making sure there are no wrinkles in Seokjin’s light pink hanbok before she rushes to open the door for Prince Taehyung. 

 

“My apologies for making you wait, Prince Taehyung,” Seokjin apologizes as Prince Taehyung comes into the room and Hyeon leaves. 

 

“I didn’t wait long,” Prince Taehyung tells him with a soft smile that makes Seokjin’s heart do flips. He makes his way to Seokjin’s window which is wide open to let in the cool air as today is hot. 

 

Seokjin watches, admiring the way the breeze gently blows his hair, his sentimental eyes, and his calm and handsome features. Realizing that he’s staring, Seokjin scolds himself internally, blushing. 

 

“Interesting,” Prince Taehyung starts, oblivious to Seokjin’s admiration. His eyes are still looking out the window. He turns to Seokjin, “You have a direct view of my palace.” 

 

“I do?” Seokjin asks, puzzled. 

 

Taehyung smiles as Seokjin comes to his side to see. “See that building right there,” Taehyung says as he points to a building that for some reason, Seokjin had not noticed before. “That’s the Palace of Calycanthus. Likewise, known as my palace.” 

 

Seokjin continues looking at the palace. Prince Taehyung’s palace. 

 

~~~~

 

Before Seokjin knows it, a month has passed since he got married to Prince Taehyung, and to his heart’s content, he and Prince Taehyung have grown closer. 

 

“As always, this tastes delicious,” Prince Taehyung says, wiping the corner of his lips. “You’re better than all the chefs in the kingdom combined, Prince Seokjin.”

 

Seokjin blushes at the compliment. “Thank you but I shouldn’t be compared to them. I only know a bit. Nothing compared to what they know.” Prince Taehyung smiles that small yet warm smile of his that leaves Seokjin flustered. “Do you know how to cook Your Royal Highness?” 

 

He hopes that Prince Taehyung doesn’t notice how flustered he is. “Not one bit,” he answers. “If all the chefs in the kingdom suddenly disappeared, I wouldn’t be able to eat at all. I’m doomed if that happens,” he finishes with a chuckle. 

 

Seokjin smiles, “You’re not doomed.” Prince Taehyung stops chuckling, paying attention to Seokjin. “If I’m there with you, I’ll cook for you.” Seokjin makes eye contact with Prince Taehyung who looks back at him too. 

 

His smile isn’t there anymore as he looks into Seokjin’s eyes as if searching for something. Then his smile returns, “Aren’t you going to play the gayageum for me today?” 

 

Seokjin nods shyly. He leads the crown prince out of his room and towards his pavilion where he had asked Hyeon to take the gayageum since the weather is wonderful today. 

 

Prince Taehyung takes a seat across from him, making Seokjin more nervous. He takes a deep breath as he puts the gayageum over his lap. Breathing out as he touches the strings of the gayageum which calms him at their familiarity. 

 

He starts plucking the strings, a pretty melody flowing after it. As he plays, he forgets that he’s playing this for his husband and just follows the movements he’s so familiar with. 

 

When he finishes, he peeks up at Prince Taehyung who stares at him without blinking. Seokjin flushes. Did it not sound as good as it did in his head? “Did you not like it?” he asks voice calm unlike how he’s actually feeling. 

 

“It’s nice,” Prince Taehyung says, not breaking eye contact. “Yet, how is it that I find something else more intriguing than this melody?” 

 

Seokjin could feel his heartbeat pick up. He was probably as red as the red gerbera daisies during the summers.

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin‘s in a light blue and white hanbok as he makes his way to the main palace. He is to have a luncheon with Prince Taehyung today. But it won’t just be the two of them. 

 

Upon receiving the news, he got excited thinking it will just be him and the crown prince. If that were the case, he’d be going to the Palace of Calycanthus, not the main palace. 

 

Seokjin doesn’t pout over the matter, though. They’ll most likely be having lunch with the King and Queen which Seokjin is fine with. He needs to get used to them as they are his parents-in-law. 

 

Parents. Seokjin misses his parents. He had written a letter upon his arrival but has not received one back. Although Prince Taehyung converses with him a lot, he still misses home. 

 

‘Prince Taehyung, my husband.’ The corner of Seokjin’s mouth lifts a little. He wonders when he’ll just call Prince Taehyung, “Taehyung.” Etiquette teaches that Seokjin is only to address the crown prince, “Prince Taehyung” or “Your Royal Highness” until he‘s permitted to call him something else. 

 

Seokjin leaves his thoughts alone as he approaches the round table where the luncheon is being held. He takes a bow before taking his seat that a servant pulls out for him. He sits next to Prince Taehyung who acknowledges him with a small upturn of his lips.

 

Taking a seat, Seokjin notices an unfamiliar face. On the left of the King is the Queen and on the right is the new face. There’s an empty chair between Seokjin and the lady. 

 

“Prince Seokjin,” the King starts. “This is the Queen Consort, Lady Yeona.” 

 

“Pleased to meet you, Your Majesty,” Seokjin smiles kindly at the Queen Consort. 

 

“Likewise, Prince Seokjin,” she smiles back, beauty more highlighted. 

 

Seokjin’s ready to start eating until he notices that there’s no food on the table. Then, he remembers the mystery guest next to him that has not shown up yet. “Wasn’t your son aware of the lunch he’s to attend today, Lady Yeona?” the Queen says almost harshly. 

 

The Queen Consort’s son? How come Seokjin has not seen him yet even though he’s been in this kingdom for well over a month? 

 

The Queen Consort stays silent. The King clears his throat. “Where is Jungkook? I barely see him these days.” 

 

Before the Queen Consort could step in, Prince Taehyung speaks, “He may show up later. Shall we start before the food gets cold?” Everyone agrees with him and they start lunch. When they finish, the chair between Seokjin and the Queen Consort remains empty. 

 

~~~~

 

“You look handsome, Prince Seokjin.” 

 

 “Thank you, Your Royal Highness. You look handsome as well,” Seokjin manages to say without stuttering. His heart’s so happy right now.

 

He’s dressed in a silky dark blue and purple robe with little white designs on his collar and cuffs. To match his outfit, he has a hairpin that has three light purple flowers. 

 

Prince Taehyung smiles, “Not as handsome as you though.” Seokjin ducks his head, smiling. Before he could say something, someone calls for Prince Taehyung. “Would you excuse me? I’ll be back in a moment,” the crown prince says to Seokjin. 

 

“Of course,” Seokjin says before Prince Taehyung takes his leave. Once out of sight, Seokjin places a hand over his rapidly beating heart. ‘Prince Taehyung called me handsome.’ Seokjin smooths a hand over his silky clothed, glad that he chose to wear the purple outfit. 

 

His eyes follow to where the crown prince was. His back turned to Seokjin as he spoke to a general. Seokjin smiles dreamily. Prince Taehyung is perfect. He’s handsome, charming, polite, sweet, mature, responsible, and has such a good heart. 

 

Seokjin looks around the courtyard at all the nobles who are dressed almost as extravagantly as him. Then he spots the Queen sitting at her table, conversing with a couple of nobles. The reason for all the glamour and guests is to celebrate the Queen’s birthday.

 

Upon arriving, Seokjin has not spoken to the Queen. He was too busy conversing with Prince Taehyung instead. 

 

Taking the gift he brought with him, he made his way to where the Queen was sitting. “Ah, Prince Seokjin,” one of the nobles calls out. “Nice of you to join us.” 

 

Seokjin smiles as he sits down. He produces the gift box and hands it to the Queen. “Wishing you long-lasting health and happiness, Your Majesty.” 

 

“Thank you,” the Queen thanks him and takes the box. She opens it right away, and Seokjin gives one last prayer that she’ll like it. Especially with all these nobles watching. 

 

Gasps from the nobles could be heard as the Queen lifts the lid off. Inside is a celadon tea set with light-painted cranes and clouds. “This must be valuable. Where did you find such a set, Your Royal Highness?” one of the nobles asks Seokjin. 

 

Seokjin beams, “I made it.” The shocked looks on the nobles’ faces make Seokjin more proud. He’s so glad his parents forced him to learn pottery. All that hard work and time didn’t go to waste after all. Of course, it took him a couple of tries to make the perfect tea set. 

 

The Queen takes out one of the teacups, examining it. Then she turns to the servant behind her. “Prepare some goji tea for us.” The servant nods and no later returns with the tea. Seokjin’s teacups get passed out to the guests at the table. 

 

Today must be a lucky day. Prince Taehyung called Seokjin handsome and the Queen seems to like Seokjin’s gift. 

 

Seokjin sips on the tea, contented with himself. Then, a lady across from Seokjin, speaks, “My, His Royal Highness is lucky to have Prince Seokjin as his. Not only is he handsome but he’s talented as well.” 

 

She looks about Prince Taehyung’s age. Judging from how she’s dressed, she’s from a noble family very close to the royal family. 

 

“I only know so little. I’m still learning in a lot of areas.” Smiling softly, he continues, “I’d say I’m the lucky one to have Prince Taehyung by my side.” 

 

The other nobles nod, approving his answer. Seokjin returns to sipping his tea until a loud noise makes him flinch. “Lady Ayeong, are you hurt?” Seokjin looks up, eyes widening at the sight of his teacup now in pieces on the ground. 

 

The lady that was just talking to Seokjin looks at him apprehensively. “I wasn’t looking when I set down the cup. I apologize for breaking your teacup, Your Royal Highness.” 

 

“It’s fine,” Seokjin forgives her, glancing at the poor cup.

 

~~~~

 

“I’ll be going now,” Seokjin announces one last time before leaving. Once he turns his back on the Queen and nobles and is further away from the celebration, only does he allow himself to yawn. 

 

He ended up staying at the Queen’s table for the rest of the celebration. He could recall Prince Taehyung making his way over but never reaching before he’s pulled into a conversation with someone. 

 

Seokjin sighs, satisfied with how the night went but also tired. He sneezes. “Oh, Your Royal Highness. Are you not feeling well?” Hyeon asks him. 

 

He shakes his head, sniffing. “It’s nothing,” he tells the servant and reaches for his handkerchief only to realize he doesn’t have it. He must’ve left it at the Queen’s table. “Hyeon,” he turns to the servant who was yawning. “I left my handkerchief at the Queen’s table.” 

 

Hyeon rubs her eyes, “I’ll go get it. Your Royal Highness just wait here.” 

 

Before she could go, Seokjin pulls her back gently. “I can go get it. You stay here and wait for me.” Exhausted, Hyeon doesn’t protest and nods. Seokjin hurries back to the celebration. 

 

As he’s about to turn the wall, he hears voices.

 

“What did you think about that prince?” Seokjin presses his lips together trying to figure out the owner of the voice and what they meant by ‘that prince.’ 

 

A scoff, “He’s not as handsome as they praise him to be.” Lady Ayeong. “His personality’s bland as well. Even the Queen seems bored with him.” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes widen. Bored of who? He feels like he knows who they’re talking about but he doesn’t want to jump to conclusions. 

 

“Wait,” the other person starts. “You broke his teacup on purpose, didn’t you?” Seokjin stays completely still. 

 

Lady Ayeong laughs, “I bet it’s not even his. No way could he make that.” 

 

The other person laughs. “I can’t believe His Royal Highness got married to him. Really, it should be you who’s married to him. Not that boring prince.” They cackle and their voices fade as they walk away. 

 

Seokjin leans against the wall, tears threatening to fall. ‘I’m fine. It doesn’t matter what they think of me,’ Seokjin thinks as he tries to walk back. ‘They’re wrong. The Queen does like me...’ The Queen’s uninterested eyes flash to Seokjin’s head. 

 

‘Well, Prince Taehyung likes me. He doesn’t think I’m boring. He doesn’t think I’m bland,’ Seokjin tells himself confidently. ‘Right?’

 

Seokjin shakes away the negative thoughts. Pressing a hand to his forehead and squeezing his eyes close. ‘Just shake all the negative thoughts away,’ he tells himself, literally shaking his head. 

 

When most of the negative thoughts are gone, he opens his eyes to a spinning world. Seokjin takes a few steps forward, trying to navigate the spinning world only to fail and fall. 

 

Instead of the cold ground, he falls into someone’s arms. Seokjin looks up at the owner of the arms that saved him. “Are you hurt somewhere?” the person asks. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head. “I’m fine.” He attempts to get up. 

 

“Prince Seokjin!” Seokjin and the young man turn to the voice. 

 

Prince Taehyung rushes over, worry evident on his face. “Are you injured?” he asks. Seokjin shakes his head. Before he could say something, Prince Taehyung turns to the young man. “Jungkook, what happened?” 

 

“I’m not sure. He just fell,” Jungkook tells the crown prince, arms still around Seokjin. 

 

“Your Royal Highness, I’m fine...” Somehow Seokjin found himself uttering that lie again. 

 

His eyes bulge as Prince Taehyung puts an arm under his back, looping his other arm under his knees. He stands up with Seokjin in his arms. “You don’t look well. Let me take you to your room and get you checked up with the physician,” Prince Taehyung tells him softly. 

 

Seokjin nods. Looking over his shoulder, he could see that there was starting to be a crowd. He presses close to Prince Taehyung, feeling his warmth, feeling safe. It doesn’t matter what others think of him. 

 

It doesn’t matter if his parents-in-law don’t like him. The only thing that matters is if Prince Taehyung loves him. Seokjin’s eyelids flutter shut.