Chapter 25

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The engagement of Jeon Jungkook and Park Jieun was the talk of the town for weeks, and everybody knew about the union of the two most powerful families in the wizarding world.

Jungkook knew it was going to be extravagant, but he didn’t expect the Shoreditch Hotel to be that grand.

The ballroom was adorned with high ceilings and thick navy drapes over large french windows, with tiered crystal chandeliers glittering in the soft lighting of the room. The amount of China placed in the room probably cost millions, and the entire venue was decorated with flower centerpieces and candles - courtesy of Jieun’s family as Jieun said that it fitted into the floral and vintage aesthetics, whatever the hell that meant.

Jungkook hadn’t been the best contributor when it came to planning the engagement party. Whenever she asked for his opinions through Facetime - where the boy had begrudgingly accepted only because of his parents, he merely mumbled anything before continuing to play his video games, much to Jieun’s chagrin.

“It’s your engagement party as much as it’s mine!” Jieun huffed as Jungkook rolled his eyes, “You know damn well how I feel about this whole situation, so just stop talking, Jieun.”

That was enough to shut the girl up.

He looked around the venue, hoping to spot a few familiar faces apart from Yoongi and Hoseok - two of the three people who knew the true reason why he had made this choice, and Jimin - who found out belatedly because he had forced the truth out of him, where Jungkook made him swear never to tell Jihyun.

“But Kook, she will definitely understand! Why don’t you tell her?” Jimin asked in confusion when he learnt the true reason why Jungkook had to get engaged.

“I… I don’t want her to wait for me, Chim. There’s no point holding on to me when I’m a hopeless case, not in my situation now at least.” Jungkook sighed while Jimin patted his back, “Besides, I’m not sure what my parents would do to her if I had rejected the engagement. You know what they are like. They would do anything to get what they want.”

“What do you mean, Jungkook?” Jimin asked with a shudder, “My parents didn’t really give me a choice. After they left, they mentioned that if I decide to continue my relationship with Jihyun, it’s not just going to be quidditch that they’re making me choose from.”

“I’m still not following.”

“You know how Joon is an auror-in-training and Jin’s the new healer at St. Mungo’s?” Jungkook asked as Jimin nodded his head slowly.

“They said that they’d sabotage their careers.” Jungkook said solemnly, and Jimin gasped in surprise as he nodded his head, “Yeah, they weren’t leaving me with much of a choice.”

“You should have told her, Kook.” Jimin continued while Jungkook shook his head with a sad smile, “You know Ji, she’s going to fight with them, and everything is going to be a huge mess. Being the heartbreaker was the best solution. She deserves better than me, Chim.”

“Kook, honestly, I don’t think she wants ‘better.’ I think the only thing she wanted was to be with you. Heck, she was even willing to move to Chudley for you!”

His heart warmed at the thought of their memories, “She truly is a rare gem, but I can’t endanger her or her family’s future. I’ll never let myself live with it if anything ever happens to them, I’d rather they hate me for it now.”

“I know, Kook. And I can only pray that she understands that one day.”

“Is she here?” He asked hopefully, even though he already knew the answer. And why would she be? When he had broken her heart so carelessly.

“She’s not coming, Kook.” Jimin said hesitantly. “Where is she?” Jungkook asked nervously, he knew it wasn’t his place, but he still wanted to know.

“She’s taking a break.” Jimin said shortly, but he knew Jungkook wanted to find out more.

“Alone?”

“With Tae.”

Jungkook never really got jealous over Taehyung before, because he knew that Taehyung and Jihyun were just best friends. Best friends, that’s all. And Jihyun had made that very clear when they first got together, so Jungkook had nothing to worry about.

Even though he had no rights to be feeling this way since Jihyun wasn’t his anymore, he felt a pit in his stomach when he knew that Taehyung was right where he wanted to be. It also didn’t help that Jimin had shared many instances of how the boy had spent all his time and energy to make Jihyun feel better ever since Jungkook had broken her heart.

He wasn’t supposed to feel anger or annoyance towards Taehyung, but his heart couldn’t help but think differently as he seethed with jealousy.

“How about Jin and Namjoon?” Jungkook asked, trying to change the topic to calm himself down. The two elders hadn’t contacted him till now, and even though he knew they were upset, he thought they’d at least call.

“Namjoon hyung’s on a mission and he said he’d send his regards after, but Jin hyung… he’s upset.” Jimin treads cautiously, “He felt quite betrayed when you broke his little sister’s heart after he trusted you with her. He’s not coming either.”

Jungkook could understand where he’s coming from, and he didn’t expect any of them to forgive him, but he also didn’t expect the pang in his chest from disappointing the people he loved and cared for the most.

“They’ll come to terms with it soon. Don’t worry, Jungkook.” Jimin comforted, but Jungkook knew he was just playing the whole situation down.

“I guess.” He murmurs, ignoring the guilt building inside him.

Before Jimin could react, his parents had brought along a large group of people, directing them into the ballroom. The whole place was instantly filled with throngs of people, it felt as if everyone in London had been invited to the engagement party.

The night was long and dreadful, and it was getting too much to bear - but his parents made sure that Jungkook stayed by their side the entire time.

After a whole night of receiving congratulations from people whom he had not seen before, he finally retreated to his hotel room - exhausted from the emotional turmoil he had been through.

Turning on his phone, he scrolled aimlessly as more messages of congratulations came in. But his heart almost stopped when a message from a certain person came in.

“I’m in London. One last time - tonight at 11pm, by the Tower Bridge. You don’t have to see me again after this, but I deserve closure to move on from here. - Jihyun”

Peering up at the clock, he had one full hour to decide whether he was going to the Tower Bridge.

Just then, another message came in.

“I know you’re hesitating, but it took her a lot of courage to send that message. This is the least you can do for her. Don’t disappoint us. - Taehy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter