NINE

Sometimes You Can Go Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December

It seems this year has come and gone in an instant.

In February I came home for the first time in nearly two decades still bitter and hurt by the past.

And now here it's December and I can't even remember the bad feelings and for that I am grateful.

I never in a million years thought that Josh and I would be able to be friends again let alone be a couple.

When I was home for Thanksgiving his parents surprised me by coming over to celebrate with us.

I was the first time we have seen each other since I came back.

His mom Eileen kept hugging me and crying and it made my heart burst.

"The prodigal daughter has returned!" His dad Rob said, and everyone laughed.

And they are just as I remember, loving, affectionate, and kind.

Still touchy feely and kissing every time no one was watching, no wonder Josh won't leave me alone.

I grin at them; they are still madly in love after all these years and I love that.

It gives me a glimpse of how it will be for Josh and me if we were to get married.

Girl what are you saying it's not a matter of if it's when.

You know Josh ain't letting you out of his sight! I think to myself.

"Hopefully, we can change that to daughter in law soon?" His mom asked and I almost choked on my drink.

Everyone really laughed and that, I looked at momma and she just winked at Mrs. Eileen mischievously.

I smiled shyly and put some dressing in my mouth.

I looked at Aunt Sylvia who just smirks at momma and winks at me.

Lord they are all in cahoots to get me married off!

"Don't wait too long now, remember we all had teenagers when we were your age." Aunt Sylvia says.

"You got to hurry up and marry Josh and give me some great nieces and nephews you hear."

I visibly choked on my food and all the elders cackled!

Even the children snickered and covered their mouth.

Lord it is a conspiracy!

I look out at the New York skyline and sigh.

I have been back for three weeks, and I am missing everyone like crazy.

Even Maddy's crazy behind and her drama!

That morning when she woke me up out of my sleep was filled with drama!

I jumped up and ran out the door with eye boogers still in my eye!

I let myself in with the key she leaves in the flowerpot and run frantically inside calling her name.

"I'm here!" She cries and I run into her bedroom where she is thrown dramatically across her bed bawling.

"Maddy oh my god what is it?" I sit next to her and pull her dreads to the side so I can see her face.

"Terrance." Here we go with this soap opera.

I roll my eyes.

Terry has been chasing her for months and she keeps running which I find ridiculous because it's obvious she wants him.

She sits up sniffling and I hand her a tissue to wipe her face.

"I was having lunch with Stanley at Sylvia's in Brooklyn and Terry walks in."

"He looked at us like we killed his dog and came storming up to the table."

"Girl he made a huge scene and we all got kicked out." She cried.

"What?" I am shocked Terry has always been Mr. GQ for him to act he must have been heated.

"What did Stanley do?" I ask afraid of the answer.

Stanley is our camera man and one of the editors on my show.

And he is huge!

We call him bear because of his size and he is very protective of all the women on our staff.

"At first nothing he was just looking at us in his nonchalant amused way.

"He asked me who Stan was and I told him none of his business because I do not like being handled number 1 and number 2 it's not his business!!!!"

"You right" I reply.

"So anyways he proceeds to grab my arm and pull me up and of course you know Stanley he jumped up and grabbed him by his collar."

I slap my forehead already scared to hear the rest.

"Even though Stanley was holding on to Terry he was calm as a cucumber."

"Don't touch her again or else."

He said to Terry and Terry took a swing at him."

I groan and lay back on the bed imagining the scene.

"And then what happened?"

I ask fearfully because the last thing we need is Stan is jail with and assault charge and Terry all beat down.

Granted he'd deserve that beat down but that is beside the point.

"Of course, Stan easily avoided the blow but Terry had to try again and Stan easily put him to sleep!"

Oh God it's worse than I thought.

"So, we are outside, and Terry is laying on the ground snoring and I am about to pull my dreads out!"

"We take him to the hospital, and he is ok but girl he wakes up and has the nerve to scream at me!"

"If you would have said he was your coworker from the beginning none of this would have happened."

"Yeah, well he does have a point Maddy you could've simply introduced Stanley to him." I say.

She flies off the bed in a rage.

"How is this my fault when he is NOT my man?"

"I have never led him on in anyway shape or form! I have told him time and time again to back off!"

"I know you like him though you told me that you are scared because of your family and that is a cop out!" I add.

"And??" Because I find him attractive means he can continue to harass me?" She scoffs incredulously.

"He is the one in the wrong!'

"You know what I should never have called you anyway, you’re dating his cousin I see where your loyalty lies."

"Just go I am sorry to call you and bothered you with my issues."

She walks into her bathroom and slams the door.

I jump up now mad too and go and bang on the door.

"Look don't do me! You called me and I came you’re being ungrateful."

She opens the door, and her facial expression makes me jump back she is furious.

Oh, dang I have never seen that look before I back up real quick before she takes a swing at me!

"Ungrateful! Really? ME?" She scoffs.

"I have been covering for you for months, the network has been down my back for weeks about the Christmas special that we have yet to film because you’re insisting on going home for Thanksgiving!"

Oh, crap I totally forgot about that. I think to myself.

I look at her guiltily while she rants.

"But have I complained, nope because I know how important this first holiday is after your long estrangement from your loved ones."

"I never tell anyone about my private life, but you and I thought I could confide in you about Terry and my doubts concerning him but if you are going to throw it all back in my face I will keep this relationship strictly professional from now on."

"Oh, Maddy I didn't mean it like that,"

She cuts me off mid-sentence.

"Don't worry about me I am a big girl I can handle Terry I will get a restraining order if I have to."

She walks into the living room, and I follow like a chastised child.

She opens he front door and points for me to walk out.

I walk out and turn around to say something, but she slams it in my face.

Man, she read me for filth, and she was absolutely correct in doing so…

I walk back to my apartment furious, and I call Terry.

"Hey Pudge, what's shaking?" He answers.

"Don't you hey Pudge me what in the world is the matter with you?"

He sighs heavily.

"I guess you talked to Madison huh. Look let me explain ok."

"I'm waiting."

"I know I messed up and overreacted, but I can't help it I'm in love with her." He cries.

"Oh Terry." My anger instantly deflates.

"Yeah, the great Terrance Lee has been rejected."

"They say I can have any woman I want and the only woman that I want doesn't want me and now she probably thinks I am a deranged stalker."

He laughs bitterly.

"The crazy thing about the whole situation is I know she likes me to, but she will not give me a chance and it's driving me nuts!"

"Dang Terry if a woman says she is not interested out of than you need to take it as she is not interested."

"Anything else besides verbally saying yes is a no and you are doing way too much right now."

"You continued to pursue her even after she said no and even got into an altercation with my camera man."

"You probably just killed any little chance you may have had I am afraid." I say sad for him.

He winces.

"Yeah, I did not know he was your cameraman at the time, not that it matters because she doesn't owe me any explanation, I am not her boyfriend." He says sadly.

"She is mad at me right now too, she kicked me out of her apartment because I told her that she should have told you who her was as well."

"You did? What did she say?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter