FOUR

Sometimes You Can Go Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am awakened by my phone ringing off the hook.

I turn over and look at the clock it's 4 am and this is the only day I have nothing to do and someone is calling me at the crack of dawn?

"This better be Jesus himself calling!" I grab the phone and answer it without looking at the caller id.

"Amanda has been arrested!" Mom screams!

I sit up like I have been struck by lightning!

"For real? Where did they find her?"

"Coming back into the country apparently her passport was flagged, and they arrested her at the airport as she deboarded the plane."

"Oh my god! Is Aunt Sylvia alright? Do the kids know?"

"She is fine she has peace with it now and only Xavier knows."

"Aww poor baby what did he say mom? Is he scared?"

"He is more worried about the kids, and he said she is reaping what she has sown."

"I tell you my mouth fell open, that child has a good head on his shoulders despite Amanda's wild ways."

"Mom I tell you this whole situation is like the craziest Korean drama I have ever seen."

"Baby you ain't never lied."

"So where is she now?"

"They are holding her at the county jail where she'll be until Monday then they will move her to the federal facilities."

"Dang she is looking at some real time huh?"

"Anywhere from five to fifteen years, my heart is breaking for Sylvia."

"Please don't go getting arrested baby girl."

"Mom I haven't even had and I am thirt-six years old ok, I dang sure ain't about to get into anything that will put me behind bars."

"I am allergic to jail and the courthouse mmkay!"

Mom bursts out laughing.

"You and me both baby girl."

"Alright mom I love you, but I am exhausted let me sleep for a few more hours and then I will be over there ok."

"Yeah, I am about to go back to bed myself what time should I expect you?"

"I will be there by 9 am 10 the latest and you make breakfast I will pick up lunch and make dinner for ya'll."

"Oh, thank you baby."

"You're welcome."

"I am going to head to Publix and get some chicken and potato wedges for lunch what do you want for dinner?"

"Anything you make will be great."

"I was thinking a lasagna, homemade herbed garlic yeast rolls, sweet tea, a garden salad and pecan pie for dessert.

"How does that sound?" I ask.

"That sounds scrumptious!" She laughs.

"Good well I will pick up everything and be there around 9 or 10ish ok."

"Ok just so you know we have ground turkey, Italian sausage, ricotta and cottage cheese here already."

"Oh, and I brought a huge tub of fresh herbs and mozzarella on Wednesday, so you don't have to get any of that."

"I also have everything for your yeast rolls ok."

"Alright I will just get everything else." I say.

"Oh, and I have everything for your famous flavored tea too." She replies.

"Good, ok momma I will see ya'll tomorrow love you, goodnight."

"I love you too Pumpkin good night."

I disconnect the call and put my phone back on the charger.

I lay down and wonder if that feeling of dread I had was about Amanda or is something else waiting for me.

"Well, whatever everything is in your hands God."

I turn over and am asleep almost instantly.

 

The day flies by without any issues or mishaps and for that I am grateful.

I spend a really nice day with mom, Aunt Sylvia, and the kids.

I stopped at Walmart and got some toys, coloring b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter