Beginnings

Blue Bayou
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January:

JASON

 

I had seen her around the gym every week for the last few years and she has come a long way.

"Wow she lost all that weight."

I look her up and down and she looks good! Really good.

I chuckle as I head to showers.

How refreshing it is to see a woman in the gym that is actually working out and not walking around looking for her next husband.

 

 

Two days later:

 

I am starved and ready to eat something delicious and fattening.

"I am starving." I say to Chris my business partner and manager.

"Me too, what do you have in mind?"

"A nice steak, with all the sides and a delectable dessert."

"Sounds good to me but the last time we went to Cassecios’ my steak was terrible."

"Yeah, they have fallen off they used to have the best steak in the tri county area but not anymore."

"If could make a suggestion." Luis says.

We turn to look at my driver Luis.

"Go ahead, we sure could use a new steak spot."

"Lombardo's on 5th and Main is excellent."

"My goddaughter is the executive pastry chef, and an old navy buddy of mine is the owner."

"Oh yeah I heard good things about them especially about the desserts, you say your goddaughter is their pastry chef?" Chris asks.

"Yes, she is the reason people have been ranting about the place her cakes and pastries have brought in a whole new form of business and revitalized the place."

“Though she is so modest she’d throw a fit if she heard me say that.”

I chuckle "That is a mighty bold statement Luis are you sure you are not biased?"

"I am totally biased but you can ask the owners Gino and Regina and they will tell you themselves they were looking at shutting down just a year ago and now they are booked 3 months in advance."

"If that is true how are we going to get in tonight?" I ask.

"You just leave that to me." He says pressing buttons on his dashboard.

An auto tuned voice comes over the speaker and says, "How may I help you?"

"Siri call Gino." He says and I lean back in my seat and chuckle.

 

Two hours later I am laying back in my chair and rubbing my stomach totally full and satisfied.

"Luis, I owe you a huge bonus for putting us onto this place."

"This meal was incredible!" I say,

"Yeah, Luis I got to agree I think we've found our new spot for steaks, heck I think we have found a new place for everything that cake was amazing."

"It literally melted in my mouth." I add.

He beamed like a proud father.

"I told you so."

The owner Regina walks over then and smiles.

She is beautiful!

She has to be close to sixty years old and looks like she is thirty-five. 

She has a head full of brown curls, hazel eyes, and olive skin if I'd have to guess I'd say she was of Hispanic descent but hey what do I know?

"How was everything boys?"

"Do you even have to ask?" I point to our empty plates and she giggles.

"That is what I like to see! Can I get you guys anything else?"

"Just the check and maybe some of that delicious pineapple coconut cake to go for me."

"Chris, Luis you guys want anything?" I ask.

"We will have the same Regina and give me a piece of cake for Leona."

“She will kill me if she found out I came here and didn't bring her any cake home." He chuckles.

"I'd like to meet your pastry chef is she here?" I ask excited to meet the lady who created such heavenly food.

"Oh no honey she is back home taking care of her mother who just had surgery."

"She will be home in a month please stop by and say hello then."

"Will do." For some reason I am so disappointed hearing she was away.

"Now let me get your check and cakes I will be right back."

She turns and heads to kitchen.

"I was looking forward to putting a face with that cake." Chris said.

"Her mother tore her left rotator cuff and she needed help for a few weeks, so she went back home to New Orleans to see about her."

"She is a good kid." Luis adds fondly.

Just then Regina comes back with three bags that look way too big to be carrying a slice of cake.

She gives us each a bag loaded with cake and a full take away order of our meals.

My mouth falls open in shock.

"Take these and come back and see us real soon ok."

"What? Oh no we can't do that?” I say shocked.

"You can and you will, I insist and you don’t want to hurt my feelings now do you?”

“No ma’am.” I say grinning.

"Good and besides did you see how many people flew in here when you come in!?"

"Your presence alone just boosted our visibility consider this a gift.”

“All I ask is that you just tip your waitress real good ok?"

"Yes ma'am." Chris and I say in unison.

"And Luis tell Leona to call me tonight I have something to tell her ASAP!

"Ciao boys." She says and floats away.

I grin at Luis and he shrugs and smiles.

"I will go get the car."

"Ok Luis we will meet you out front in a few." Chris replies.

He gets up takes his bag and heads out the front door.

I reach in my wallet and pull out a crisp, one hundred dollar bill to give it to our waitress.

Chris hands me another and I call her over.

"Here you go hon thank you for the excellent service." I say,

"Thank you, guys so much and Mr. Jackson I am a huge fan can I get your autograph?"

She hands me her order notebook.

I look at her name tag.

"Thank you, Veronica for your A1 service tonight.

Jason Jackson." I say and write.

"How is that?" I smile at her and she grins.

I hand her back the notebook and ink pen.

"Better than I could ever imagine can I have a picture too?" She asks shyly.

"Of course, Chris can you take it for us?"

"Sure", She hands Chris her phone and he takes a few pictures and hands it back to her.

She looks at the phone and smiles hugely.

"Thank you both so much have a great rest of the evening."

"You as well." I say and she turns and runs back to her friends who all giggle excitedly,

Chris chuckles, "You know you have made her year, tonight right?'

"Hey well it is the least I could do I mean where would I be without my fans?"

"I wouldn't have a career without them."

"Facts." He replies.

We head to the door to exit and see flashes from cameras going off in every direction.

 

MARCH:

GABBY:

"I can't accept this!" Momma is crying and now I am crying.

"You can momma what good is it to have money if I can't do things for you."

"It is your money though."

"Yes, that I inherited from you sister and your husband."

I put the keys to the brand- new Jaguar in her hand and she cries even harder.

"Thank you, baby."

"You’re welcome."

"You know I would have never gotten a car like this for myself."

"Oh, I know."

We both laugh and hug each other.

Two months ago I celebrated my 30th birthday and came into the money my Aunt left me.

I had always known about it but never thought much of it to be honest.

I appreciated

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter