I Regret Nothing!

Blue Bayou
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

2 Weeks Later

Christmas Eve

Jason

 

 

When she said her mother went big or went home, she was not exaggerating.

There is a turkey, ham, beef roast, fried chicken, fried catfish fillets and even a roasted duck!

And that is just the meat! She also made mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese, chicken and dumplings, and potato salad all made from scratch I might add.

There is also cornbread dressing, gumbo filled with seafood and sausage, dirty rice, candied yams, collard greens, green bean casserole, lasagna, shrimp and lobster fettucine alfredo, garden salad, steamed green beans and sweet corn.

Whew I am overwhelmed by the sheer abundance of food but in a good way.

I hit the gym early just so I can indulge all day today.

I have been salivating since I walked in this morning.

Now let’s get to the desserts..

I have no idea when Gabby had time to make all this but I’m wondering if she has slept at all.

She made sweet potato pie, my favorite pineapple coconut cream cake, a chocolate fudge dream cake,

A fresh strawberry cake iced with strawberry cream cheese icing, pecan pies, lemon icebox pies, pumpkin pies, old fashioned custard pies, caramel pies, apple pies, banana pie and a carrot cake.

And on top of that she made a variety of Christmas cookies, brownies and cupcakes and homemade sweet dinner rolls.

I mean she had greens, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, chickens, YOU NAME IT!!

“Wow Gabby you were not kidding when you said your mother went all out on Christmas.” Chris says,

“What about you and all those desserts?” I asked.

“Yeah, well I got carried away huh?”

“I mean I am not complaining I plan on eating a little bit of everything.” I add.

“Good, because I was thinking about how long it has been since I cooked for a handsome man and now, I have two to cook for.” Sylvia says walking over to us.

Lainey snorts in laughter and Gabby rolls her eyes.

“Mom, meet my friends Chris and Jason, Jason you may already recognize.” She says dryly.

She holds out her hand and I take it and kiss it.

“Mrs. Monroe charmed.” I reply,

“Oh, none of that call me Sylvia dear.” She smiles at me prettily and I see Gabby in about thirty years.

If she looks anything like her mother I will be a very lucky 65 year old.

Whoa look at me already laying claim to her I gotta make sure she is feeling me too otherwise I can see a future of heartbreak for myself.

Lainey helped me pick out a beautiful necklace, bracelet and earring set as one of her gifts.

I also purchased tickets to see Linda Ronstadt in Vegas on New Year’s Eve as her actual birthday gift.

I booked the penthouse suite for a week and Lainey and Chris will be going as well.

With Christmas being her birthday I wanted to make our first one spent together be very special.

I brought her so much stuff I am kind of embarrassed.

The fact that it is her birthday and then Christmas is my story, and I am sticking to it.

“Sylvia,” Chris says taking her hand “If your food is anywhere as good as it smells you may never get rid of me.”

She chuckles cutely and winks at him.

“I just might take you up on that.” She flirts.

“Mom please he is Lainey’s man get your own.” Gabby adds mock outraged.

“Yes, Momma Sylvia get your own young buck ok.” Lainey says walking over taking Chris’s hand and pulling him close.

He turns beet red, and everyone cracks up laughing.

“I know baby I am just teasing him, he is cute as a button.” She touches his cheek, and he turns even redder if that is possible.

I burst out laughing Chris is blushing, but I can tell he is thrilled to finally be with Elaine.

After that Sunday when we awoke to find them sleeping at the foot of the bed, they have been official.

We walked on them making out in the kitchen after church and the rest as they say is history.

“Let me get your coats you guys.” Gabby says walking over to us.

I finally get a good look at her and she is breath taking.

She is wearing a ¾ length sleeved red dress.

It stops a little beneath her knees and has a deep scoop neck allowing a small peek of her cleavage.

It is form fitting and y as can be.

Looking at her is making me have heart palpitations.

She is so beautiful my God I am so in love with this girl it is ridiculous.

Her hair is down much to my delight cascading down her back in beautiful waves the color of autumn leaves.

One side is pinned up with a beautiful diamond hairpin and she is wearing a diamond necklace, stud earrings and bracelet to match.

Her makeup is more dramatic than normal.

She is wearing a bold eye, glamourous eyelashes and a sultry red lipstick that makes me want to kiss her until it is gone.

On her feet are the iest heels I have ever seen.

They are the exact shade red as her dress, they are open toe and tie at the ankle.

Even her toes are perfect painted red like her fingernails.

I almost feel under dressed in my casual suit and loafers.

She looks like she should be on the red carpet.

“Wow Gabrielle you look words fail me.” I say in awe.

She smiles beautifully turning around.

“You like?” She teases me into a frenzy only she doesn’t realize it.

I give a low whistle, “Like I love you look incredible.”

“Thank you Jase, you looking pretty dashing yourself.” She says taking my coat then Chris’s.

I watch her walk to hang them on the coat rack and I’m definitely loving the view.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, now are you guys ready to eat?” My mom made enough food to feed a literal army.

She chuckles.

“I heard that!” Sylvia responds.

“Good I told you there would only be six people eating with us, eight the most but you cooked enough food for forty-five plus people!”

Sylvia kisses her teeth and I chuckle.

“I told you she was grandiose.” Gabby chuckles and we walk into the kitchen.

Sylvia is stirring something that smells so heavenly my mouth begins watering instantly.

I walk up to her and point to the pot.

“What is this? The smell alone has me floating around here in sheer pleasure.” I say and inhale dramatically.

She giggles “I sure love a man that loves good food.”

“It is my creole gumbo and rice.”

I look at Chris as he is a gumbo connoisseur.

He is panting in anticipation and Lainey is praying and thanking God.

I shake my head at them they are the perfect couple both are nuts.

I look at Gabby who is smirking thinking the same thing.

I grin at her and she rolls her eyes.

 

“Come on you guys let’s eat I ate salad all week in anticipation for this glorious meal.” She says.

Her mom cracks up and we all join.

“Where is Luis and your mom?” I ask Lainey.

“My Aunt Luna fainted this morning while cooking so they had to rush her to the hospital.”

“Oh no I hope everything is ok.” Chris says concerned.

“Oh, I am sure it is fine she is healthy as a horse.” She chuckles.

“She is my dad’s oldest sister she’s eighty-five years old and she insists on doing all the cooking on her own.”

“I think she might have just overdone it she fell in January and although she was ok, she is older and any falls at that age can be really bad.”

“That is true she needs to be careful, but I know her she is stubborn.”

“Exactly and driving Papi crazy!”

“Well, I already added her to my prayer list so she will be good as pie before we know it.” Gabby says grabbing a plate.

“I am hangry let’s eat!” She holds the plate up dramatically and I chuckle.

“Hear hear, that gumbo is calling my name.” Chris says.

 

A few minutes later we are all seated in utter and complete silence because everyone is concentrating on their food.

“Sylvia, Sylvia, Sylvia, you are a culinary genius.” I say,

“This is one of the best meals I have ever had.”

“Only one of and not the best?” She asks eyes twinkling with mischief.

“Yes, the second- best meal because the first was made your daughter so don’t feel bad.” I say and grin.

“Well in that case I win by default because I taught her everything she knows.” She says winking at Gabby who chuckles.

“It is true her, daddy and Aunt Bev taught me how to cook before I could read, I knew how to fry chicken.” She says forking mashed potatoes in .

Everyone laughs.

We continue eating and talking and I’m having a blast and her gifts are burning a hole in my pocket.

“So, Jason I hear that you went to church with Gabby?”

“Yes. ma’am I did and I really enjoyed it, in fact I plan on going with her on Sunday as well.”

“You are?” Gabby asks shocked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter