Progressing

Blue Bayou
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

December:

Gabby:

 

 

A few weeks ago, I flew to New York to tape an appearance on Kelly and Ryan.

Jason happened to be there as well filming some scenes for his latest movie.

He had already been there a week and I missed him like crazy.

So, when my agent called me, I called him right away because I was so shocked to be invited.

“That is so exciting Gabs I am so happy for you, are you nervous?”

“As heck! Give me some pointers I am afraid I will sweat, and my armpits will be wet on camera!”

He burst out laughing and sighed.

“You will be fine. Just be your adorable self and you can’t go wrong.” He said reassuringly.

“That is easy for you to say, you are well seasoned in talk shows, and being on TV in general.”

“Stop it Gabby you have been on TV more than I have now um hello Food Network remember.”

“There is big difference in me competing on a baking show and me being interviewed on tv.”

“At least on the Food Network I wasn’t on live television and I have confidence in my cooking.”

“Being interviewed is totally different and I am scared to death!” I cry.

“Aww baby don’t worry you got this ok.” Just look at Ryan and Kelly directly and try not to look at the audience and you will be fine.”

“I have faith in you ok, you will do great.”

“Thank you Jase I will let you go now I know it is midnight in New York and you have had a long day already.”

“No, I am fine I wanna talk to you some more I miss you.” He says,

My heart starts pounding at his words.

“Aww that is sweet.” I stammer and slap my forehead.

Lame! I scream inside my head.

He chuckles.

“I miss you too.” I add quickly.

“Do you?” He asks quietly.

“Yes of course I do, you’re one of my best friends.” I respond.

“Friend huh?” He says slowly.

The way he says it makes my mouth go dry and my eye twitch.

Lord what is he doing to me right now?

“Will I see you when I get there?” I ask quickly changing the subject.

I do not need to be thinking about the tone of his voice right now when I am barely alive from the shock of being on tv in less than 48 hours.

“Of course, call me when you get to your hotel and I will scoop you up and take you to dinner ok.”

“K.” I respond.

We talk for another forty five minutes about nothing in particular.

We hang up and I feel like we didn’t talk about what each of us really wanted to talk about.

During the taping of the show Jason showed up to surprise me.

To say I was shocked is an understatement.

He was distractingly handsome wearing some jeans with the knees ripped a white Henley shirt, a black leather aviator jacket and black biker boots.

His hair is much longer these days and falls in waves right to his collar.

It was windswept and his bangs kept falling in his eyes.

I had to sit on my hands to keep from running my fingers through it.

His smile was alluring, and his eyes sparkled warmly.

He came out with balloons and pulled me from my chair into a bear hug.

He lifted me and my feet dangled off the ground.

I was beet red when he sat me down much to the delight of the hosts and audience who were convinced, we were an item.

“So how long have you two been together?” Kelly asked sweetly and I internally rolled my eyes.

“We are just friends.” I said hastily and Jason chuckled.

“Very good friends.” He added slowly and suggestively, and the audience screamed with delight.

I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me at that moment and Ryan raised an eyebrow in my direction and smirked knowingly.

I smiled a saccharin smile and Jason saved me by explaining how we met and how he had been coming to the restaurant for months after having my cake.

I just nodded like a puppet and waited for the time when I could run off the stage and hide in my dressing room.

Jason left after about ten minutes and we finally talked about my Food Network win and the cookbook I was working on.

Oh, I forgot to mention I got a publishing deal.

Six cookbooks and possibly a novel about a pastry chef who finds love.

Cheesy huh? But I am so excited about I could literally burst.

Now if only I had a love life I could use as motivation for the book.

November was a whirlwind that is for sure.

Now we are back my house for a game night.

It is two weeks before Christmas day which is also my birthday.

“What are we doing for your birthday this year?” Elaine asks.

“I don’t care anymore after thirty years old what’s a birthday anyway?”

She scoffs “A day to eat whatever you want to eat and get lots of gifts.”

“You just lucked out that your birthday falls on Christmas, plus you’re the only child you struck gold girl.”

“Yeah, I am spoiled that day for sure.”

“Mom doesn’t know the meaning of a little bit she is so grandiose.” I chuckle.

“So does that mean you are having a party?” Chris asks.

“Your mother will not let you get away with not celebrating Gabby especially if she is here so just go and find a y outfit and make an appointment at the salon to get your hair done.”

I scoff and kick my feet.

“I don’t wanna.” I say pouting and Jason chuckles.

“You are too cute you know that.” He reaches over and tweaks my nose.

I roll my eyes but beam at the compliment.

He is so charming I literally swoon on the inside.

I mean swoon like I am in a romance novel swoon.

Since then, I have been honing my acting skills ad pretending that I am not in love with him, and I am happy just being his friend.

I must be doing a bang-up job too because even Elaine is fooled and normally, she can read me like a book.

But she is also harboring a secret crush as well so maybe she can’t see what is going on with me right now.

“He is so reserved and chill though Gabby, not at all my normal type.”

“He is so good looking and classy, I don’t know.” She sighs heavily.

“What?” I ask.

“Do you think he would date a girl like me?”

“We are total opposites, I am loud, crass and extremely opinionated not everyone can handle me you know.”

I have seen how Chris looks at her, he totally smitten.

She may not know it, but Jason and I have.

“Girl please I have seen the way he looks at you and trust me the feeling is mutual.”

“Really well why hasn’t he said anything to me?”

“You don’t suppose he actually does have a girlfriend, do you?” She bites her lip worriedly.

“No ma’am he does not, and if he did after all these months don’t you think we would have met her already?”

“Oh yeah good point, if he’s a good guy if he had someone, he would have brought her around us already.”

“Exactly.” I say reaching up over my head trying to get the ice bucket down.

I can’t quite reach it, so I put my knee up on the counter to get some height.

I grab it and coming down I slip and fall back and in my mind all I see is my breaking something vital and I brace myself.

Fortunately for me I land on something hard that isn’t the floor.

I look behind me and see Jason holding onto my hips and .

His smile is full is mischief and he is smirking.

“Well, well what do we have here?” He asks.

“It is a good thing I came in when I did huh?” He says helping me down and placing me on my feet.

“Yeah, it is.” I croak and cough to clear my throat daring not to look at his face or I’d give away all I’m thinking.

“What have I told you about trying to get things off that high shelf girl.” Elaine said coming in and seeing the whole scene.

“She does not listen for crap Jason I done told her a million times to sit that bucket under the cabinet but every time it ends up back up there and she has to stand on a stool to get it.”

“I swear it wasn’t me this time, your mom was the culprit this time.” I reply.

“Oh, that’s right she did borrow it huh?”

“What did you cook anyway? It smells delightful in here.” Chris adds walking in.

“Oh, a bunch of finger foods this time.”

“There is loaded nachos, mini cheeseburger sliders, mini pu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter