longing for her

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
"i think i'm going crazy now, yuri." amber walks around the room, two fingers nibbling her lips. "this is insane."
 
yuri closes her laptop and turns to her friend. "okay. just hold yer horses right there. what is wrong, my friend?"
 
"i... i can't stop thinking about her." amber scratches the back of her neck. "it's like my brain keeps thinking about her every second of every day. and it's been over two years now!"
 
"who? your wife?" yuri rummages through the papers and shows a sketch of a female character. "or this xiujing?"
 
"her!" amber points at the sketch. "but not that character. the person. the one i met at the resort."
 
"ah. your soulmate."
 
amber stops on her tracks and sighs. "yeah. my soulmate."
 
"still regretting you didn't try persuading to know her more?"
 
"i don't know. it didn't feel right at that time when we met. i just got married, and she has a partner too. we don't want to ruin what we have only because we found each other."
 
"but you're still thinking about her?"
 
"yeah. like a lot. i dream about her often." amber runs her fingers through her hair. "the funny thing is, it was suzy who made me realize xiujing's the character i've been drawing since then."
 
"mmm-mmm."
 
"i felt like everything around me stopped when it dawned on me, you know. it's like since i was a kid i've always dreamt about her. i always thought it was suzy, but when i met xiujing, i knew it was her. it was her all along."
 
yuri taps her fingers on the table, twisting her chair on the other side. "let's say you meet her again, this xiujing, what would you do?"
 
amber shrugs. "i... i honestly don't know..."
 
"do you have plans of divorcing your wife or something?"
 
"no. no. that's out of the picture," amber says immediately. "there is no way i would hurt suzy like that. no. i can't do that to her."
 
"but that's what soulmates are about, right? you finding your other half to spend the rest of your lives together?"
 
"i..." amber sighs, helpless. "i just want to see her. i want to know who she is. i want to fill these questions in my head, hoping that maybe after that i'll be able to move on from her. sometimes it's the uncertainty that sparks the interest, you know. i am certain that's what i'm going through right now."
 
yuri hums. "so, you are saying you don't have plans of pursuing her romantically?"
 
"no way."
 
"and you just want to have answers to all your questions about her identity so you can stop thinking about her?"
 
"yes. that's right." amber nods eagerly. "and as i've said, it's been over two years now since i've last seen her. who knows, maybe she's also married now. there's no way we would go down that romantic road. or maybe we can be good friends. we're soulmates after all."
 
"friends." yuri chuckles. "how would you introduce her to your wife? 'hey, boo, meet xiujing, my new close friend who looks exactly like the character i've been drawing since we were kids. by the way, she's my soulmate. but doncha worry because we're just platonic friends. i am not attracted to her'."
 
amber grabs the nearest throw pillow in her reach and throws it to her friend's direction, who laughs.
 
"you look like a grumpy llama," yuri says, still laughing. "that's what you get for not believing in soulmates. see how the spirits are playing on you now?"
 
"yah. you're not helping at all!"
 
yuri wipes her tears with her fingers. "okay. okay. i'll be serious now." she sniffs and composes herself. "look. to make you feel better, i seriously think you need to see her again."
 
"you do?"
 
"yes. you've been restless for over two years now. i seriously think you won't be able to get over that unless you see her again," yuri says. "i'm not sure what will happen after. what i'm sure of is you need to see each other again. maybe she's experiencing the same thing, you know. you're soulmates after all."
 
"but how will i be able to find her? i don't know anything about her."
 
"well..." yuri turns to reopen her laptop and types something on the search bar. "ever heard of the theory of six degrees of separation?"
 
"never heard." amber closes their distance to look over her friend's shoulder. "what's that all about?"
 
"it says here all people in the world are six, or can be fewer, social connections away from each other. which means," yuri turns to her friend, "you and this soulmate of yours aren't that far from each other. a friend of a friend of a friend may know her."
 
"oh. that's... that's cool. but where should i start?"
 
"that i don't know." yuri turns back to her laptop. "what i know is, if it's the spirits' will you two are tied to each other, they will find a way for you to see each other again. they will use instruments, people, for that to happen."
 
yuri props her elbows on the table and rests her chin on her clasped hands.
 
"after that, i don't know what their next plan is."