together again

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
krystal couldn't believe what she's seeing.
 
there was this immediate relief that washed over her when she finally got a glimpse of her soulmate after three weeks.
 
three long weeks.
 
amber looks brighter, but a bit skinnier. krystal couldn't believe it herself--thought it was a mirage at first--but amber's right there in front of her, scratching her nape out of embarrassment.
 
"uh... hey..." amber is the first one to speak. "how's it?"
 
krystal's mouth remains open. she didn't realize she's still staring at amber, unblinking.
 
"are you... are you still mad at me?" amber asks.
 
krystal lets out a dry half-laugh.
 
mad at her? what is amber thinking?
 
but what she didn't expect is how that dry laugh can cause the floodgates to finally open.
 
"mad at you? are you really that stupid?" she asks, tears welling in her eyes. "are you seriously asking me that, amber?"
 
"i... i just thought that maybe..."
 
"stupid... you're so stupid..." krystal covers her face this time as tears are finally flowing down her cheek. "i hate you... i really hate you..."
 
she hears a soft chuckle, then footsteps. after that, she felt amber's presence beside her, arms embracing her.
 
"yes... yes... i am stupid..." amber pulls her closer, tapping her back. "i'm sorry for being stupid..."
 
"i hate you..." krystal's hand grasps amber's coat this time as she buries her face in the taller's shoulder. "how dare you disappear like that for three weeks? how dare you make me wait this long?"
 
"i know... i know..." amber kisses the top of her head. "i'm sorry. i just thought you need more time. i wasn't really well that night. a lot of things happened. i was at my worst. i couldn't face you in that condition."
 
amber presses their bodies closer. for whatever reason, krystal feels like everything is okay again, like the world is full of bright colors again.
 
"do you feel that?" amber whispers in her ears. smile is evident in her tone. "the spirits are happy that we are together again."
 
krystal hums, closing her eyes and burying her face further into amber's neck. "is this real?"
 
"it is," amber says, and it's a piece of sweet music to krystal's ear. "i'm not going away anymore, krystal. there's no more leaving or going home. we'll be together now always."
 
krystal couldn't put it into words. but amber's right. it's like the spirits are celebrating above the stars for their reunion. krystal feels light, like every fiber in her body is rejoicing, delighted that they are finally together again.
 
"please tell me i'm not dreaming," she whispers.
 
"you're not dreaming." amber cups the back of krystal's head. "i am here. i am not leaving. this is my home now, krystal. you are my home now."
 
---
 
"what! you volunteered in the monastery?" seulgi asks, eyes wide.
 
"yup. lived with the monks for three whole weeks." amber scoops rice and some meat into .
 
"i bet you missed eating these, huh?" irene points at their meal with her chopsticks. "those monks are vegetarians."
 
seulgi looks at irene, looking more horrified. "what! seriously? no meat? damn. it must be hard."
 
"you bet it is." amber chuckles. "couldn't eat well for the first three days. but yeah, i got used to it. but nothing beats a freshly cooked meat."
 
seeing how her soulmate has missed the food, krystal adds more meat into amber's bowl.
 
"no wonder you got skinny," she says. "finish all of these, okay?"
 
"yes, ma'am!"
 
"it's nice to see some life coming back into you, krystal," irene comments. "you finally have color now after being pale for weeks."
 
"what are you saying, unnie..." krystal feels her cheeks blushing. she hugs amber's arm and leans her head on her soulmate's shoulder.
 
"what? are you still going to deny it?" irene chuckles. "you were lifeless for weeks. i can see it even if you're trying to hide it."
 
"that's her usual expressions when she's feeling shy," seulgi teases. she rearranges her face and mimics krystal's voice, "'what are you saying, seulgi' or 'what are you saying, irene'?"
 
irene and amber laugh.
 
"ish. i hate you." krystal hides her face behind amber's shoulder blades.
 
"come on, guys. don't bully her," she hears amber says. amber reaches to ruffle her hair. "it's the same for me. i wasn't really okay these past few weeks either. i missed this woman so much."
 
"how is it, by the way? have you fixed it on the other side?" seulgi asks, talking about suzy.
 
krystal pulls back slightly to look at amber, just wanting to see her face when she talks.
 
"yeah. yeah. the lawyer reached out to me and already sent back the information they need," amber explains. "i talked to my parents about it too before. i apologized to suzy's family for what i've done as well. i also spoke with suzy this morning to clear things up and to... you know... end things in good terms."
 
"i see. it seems things are falling now in the right places, huh?" seulgi asks.
 
"i told you before, the spirits will find a way to make sure krystal and amber will be together again, for good," irene says. "it was a rough road, but they've finally reached that part where it'll be just the two of them."
 
"i just hope suzy will find her happiness too soon," krystal says, leaning on amber's shoulder again. "she's a nice person, and i still feel bad for taking away the love of her life from her."
 
amber tilts her head to look at krystal and kisses her head.
 
"don't worry," irene says. "i still believe this is the spirits' work. usually, if they step in, things won't make sense at first. as what the saying says, you can only connect the dots when you look back."
 
"which means?" seulgi follows up.
 
"she may not understand now why these things are happening," irene explains. "but once she reaches a certain point in her life and looks back to this timeline, things would finally make sense. she would understand the higher purpose for all of these."
 
krystal feels a little better hearing that. "but do you think she'll be able to find happiness too as we all did?"
 
"i'm sure of that." irene gives an assuring smile. "the spirits may move in mysterious ways, but the results will always be worth the wait."
 
---
 
"i still wonder if we're supposed to meet even before the resort," krystal voices out her thoughts when amber slips into the sheets beside her.
 
"you mean, before i got married?" amber spoons her.
 
"yeah. don't you ever wonder if our paths have already crossed--or close to crossing--before, but we just didn't realize it because we're both non-believers?"
 
"i think of that too sometimes. but then, we wouldn't know, right? it was until we met that ahjumma from the resort when we found out about each other."
 
"you're right." krystal sighs. "i'm just wondering because if we had met and known before that we're soulmates, we could have saved suzy from all that heartbreak."
 
"hey. please stop blaming yourself with that." amber pulls her by the waist to turn her around, so they're facing each other. "it's not your fault, okay? and as irene says, all of these are happening for a reason."
 
"but do you also feel bad about you and suzy?"
 
"i do, honestly. i feel bad for breaking her heart. but this is better than lying to her and leaving you in the dark, isn't it?"
 
krystal nods. a sigh escapes her lips.
 
"hey. she'll be okay." amber pulls her closer this time and kisses her forehead. "the spirits will do their job to help her. what we need to do is to focus on this moment right here--us."
 
"i love you." krystal snuggles closer, inhaling amber's scent. "i love you so much."
 
"i love you too." amber then hugs her tighter, kissing the crown of her head. "i'm excited to wake up every morning with you by my side..."
 
krystal smiles.
 
"... seeing your messy hair, hearing your snore, and wiping the drool on your mouth..."
 
"yah!" krystal slaps amber's arm. "i'm not like that!"
 
"oh, you wouldn't know." amber smirks. "i'm the one who sees you when you sleep."
 
krystal rolls her eyes.
 
amber pulls krystal closer again. "i'm also excited for all the kisses, the hugs, the fights..."
 
"... and the ..."
 
"yeah, of course, that one too."
 
krystal giggles. "i'm so happy to have you here now."
 
"me too. and i won't be leaving anymore, so you better ready yourself to live with this really stupid person."
 
krystal laughs. she cups amber's cheeks and gives a quick peck on the lips. "oh. i am looking forward to it."