a slight shift

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
suzy whips her head after hearing her wife's cheery voice from her office.
 
curious, suzy walks over and peeks through the small crack in the door, seeing her wife video calling someone on her laptop.
 
"hey, tiffany, how are you? i haven't heard from you in a while," amber says to the pretty woman on the screen.
 
suzy knitted her brows. it's that professor t again.
 
there's something about that professor t--tiffany--that doesn't sit well with suzy. she couldn't tell what or why, but she's always been jealous of the said professor since the day amber introduced them from before.
 
maybe because she's pretty and hot?
 
but amber assured her many times that she's not feeling anything romantic towards her former university professor.
 
suzy remembers her conversation with krystal last week, when she told the financial advisor about the changes she noticed in her wife's behavior.
 
she didn't mean it at the time when she said she thinks amber's having an affair. but seeing how bright amber is now makes her think she could be right.
 
could that be with tiffany?
 
it's impossible. suzy shakes her head, turning to walk away from amber's office.
 
is she kidding herself? tiffany is in the states and has a wife too. if amber is cheating, they wouldn't have had that call knowing it's suzy's off today.
 
right. right. she's just overthinking.
 
she should trust her wife with all her heart because amber never cheated on her.
 
and if amber's cheating on her with someone, she wouldn't leave her phone anywhere, lying around the house for suzy to see.
 
which prompts suzy to check the said phone.
 
nothing suspicious. no weird messages or calls from anyone she doesn't know. she also browsed through amber's social media and hasn't seen anything suspicious too.
 
suzy sits on the couch and sighs.
 
what the hell is happening to her?
 
is she really going this far to check amber's phone?
 
she exits from all the apps and stares at her wife's wallpaper, a new drawing of the character xiujing in a pantsuit. she remembers amber mentioning some fans requesting to create a poster of the main characters in a suit.
 
this made her open amber's gallery. she browsed through the photos and images that comprise majorly of their pictures together, some creative shots of anything, and xiujing's.
 
eunea stops at a particular image of xiujing who's back with her head tilt on the side--showing her side profile. suzy squints because even if xiujing's eyes are covered by her hair, her nose and lips seems familiar.
 
suzy couldn't understand why it reminds her of krystal.
 
as she goes through the other images, she couldn't deny the krystal-vibe this character is emitting.
 
but that's impossible, suzy thinks again. amber has been drawing this character since they were in high school. the manhwa red rope was also published even before they met krystal.
 
this could all be just a coincidence.
 
krystal's happy with her soulmate. amber doesn't seem to like the woman as she keeps skipping the meetings whenever suzy asks her to join.
 
it is improbable that krystal and amber would even be friends.
 
she hears amber's laughter echoing from the room.
 
suzy relaxes on the couch and looks up at the ceiling.
 
what the hell is she thinking? maybe she's only feeling this way because she's the one who cheated on amber before.
 
she massages her temples, still remembering the look on amber's face from before; how she was mad, how she cried, and how she willingly accepted suzy after everything.
 
suzy should trust her wife the way amber still trusts her even after what she had done before.
 
amber doesn't deserve any of this suspicion.
 
---
 
"what? you met your soulmate too recently?" suzy asks, surprised. "how did you guys do that?"
 
seulgi puts away the papers and places them inside a folder. "to be honest, i don't know. it just happened."
 
"like seriously? how come you and miss krystal are finding your soulmates like they are just dropping out of nowhere?"
 
seulgi chuckles. "it's not as simple as that. i just met mine recently. krystal met hers three years ago."
 
"still, it's something." suzy sips then shakes her now empty cup of frappuccino. "finding someone's soulmate is very rare these days."
 
"i agree," seulgi says. "how about you; aren't you curious about your soulmate?"
 
suzy eyes seulgi, then back to her empty cup, before finally deciding to put it down.
 
"i used to not care about it because it's always been amber for me. but i've to admit the idea pops in my head from time to time recently after hearing miss krystal's story about her soulmate. i think it'll be imprinted on my mind now after hearing yours."
 
seulgi smiles as she sips from her cup.
 
"you know what..." suzy pauses, folding her arms against the table, "truth is, i consulted with a shaman last week in alaska during our overlay."
 
"oh. you did?" seulgi looks at her. "and then what happened?"
 
"it wasn't intentional." suzy props her chin on her palm. "my colleagues and i were touring around a village when we spotted a small shop with a poor 'shaman inside' signage. curious, we went in. an elderly man who claimed he's a shaman greeted us. he asked if we want a session and an activation. we didn't know what the hell that means, so he explained it first. then when we asked for the price, he said he's charging us $250 each."
 
"freaking $250 each?" seulgi's eyes grow wide. "that's too much!"
 
"that's what my friends thought." suzy chuckles. "we didn't push through with it the first time. but i came back alone the next day to find out."
 
"it got in your head, huh?" seulgi smirks. "and what did he say?"
 
"nothing concrete." suzy grimaces, thinking she wasted that amount of money for nothing. "he said i'll meet my soulmate in a room with white walls and an aqua blue couch."
 
"that's quite specific if you'd ask me."
 
"well, yeah. but the thing is, our apartment unit has white walls and an aqua blue couch. it's my favorite color. i picked it before when amber and i were shopping for a couch."
 
"oh. did you tell him that?"
 
suzy shakes her head. "that's the part that amazed me because he figured that out without me telling anything about myself. but still, none of it makes sense. he said i'll feel a pull on my ring finger if i focus on it. i tried it secretly with amber in the same room, it didn't work." she shakes her head again and sighs. "do you think i got scammed?"
 
"i don't know. it's hard to say." seulgi shrugs. "but if i were to give my two cents, i think it means amber isn't your soulmate. the shaman said you'll meet yours in that white room with the aqua blue couch. you didn't meet amber there. you met her before when you were teens."
 
suzy pouts and thinks. "well, you're right about that. so, she really isn't my soulmate, huh?" she taps her fingers on the table. "does that mean i'll meet my soulmate too soon?"
 
"that i can't say. but if that shaman is legit and he activated the thread for you, it is bound to happen."
 
suzy sighs, running her fingers through her hair. "now i'm not sure if i made the right move of consulting with him."
 
seulgi chuckles. "and why is that?"
 
"it's doesn't feel right. i mean, i have amber already. i shouldn't be looking for my soulmate."
 
seulgi hums. "i understand where you're coming from. but at least you got that out of you, you know. i'm sure the curiosity would keep hunting you if that didn't happen."
 
suzy sighs. "you're right. i agree with you. sooner or later, i'm sure i'll still consult with a shaman if i get another chance."
 
"i hope you won't feel too bad about it," seulgi says. "i seriously think it's the spirits who urged you to do that."
 
suzy finally relaxes at seulgi's words. "thank you for saying that. it's tough for me to accept this reality of soulmates, you know. i was a non-believer since birth."
 
"i totally feel you there." seulgi points a finger. "it feels like you're burning your own skin, right?"
 
"right." suzy chuckles. "but i'm curious, how does it feel to be with your soulmate?"
 
"i've never been happier," seulgi says. "i admit i was hurt before when krystal admitted to me all about her soulmate. it didn't make sense at that time. but now that i look back, seeing things in a different light, i'm thankful it happened."
 
"is it better than any of the relationships you've had before?"
 
"far better! i've never thought being in a relationship can make someone feel so happy and blessed and contented. there's no words for it. and the ... mmm!" seulgi bites her lower lip.
 
suzy covers with a hand when she chuckles.
 
"i'm serious though." seulgi gives a sincere smile. "after meeting sooyoung, for the first time in my life, it feels like i'm whole again. there's no more room for doubts or anything. it's pure bliss, love, and contentment. it's like i finally found home after a long journey."
 
finally found home after a long journey.
 
suzy couldn't understand, but every word seulgi said hit her right in the heart.
 
it's not like suzy's not happy with amber. amber's been the greatest love she knew all her life.
 
but what if everything seulgi says about soulmates is true?
 
is it really possible to have a relationship where there are pure happiness and contentment?
 
a relationship with no doubt?
 
amber's face flashes on her mind.
 
suzy looks down at her ring finger, wondering if she really wants to meet the person at the other end of her thread.