protective cousin

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
"hold it!" yerim shouts as the elevator doors were about the close.
 
luckily, her plea was heard, and the doors open again.
 
she steps into the elevator, seeing a lone passenger inside, a taller woman, holding the door button for her.
 
"thanks." she smiles, settling at the back to have a better view of her fellow passenger.
 
"floor?" the woman looks at her, gesturing to the floor panel.
 
yerim sees 9th floor already pressed. "ah. same floor."
 
"cool." the woman smiles and turns away.
 
that's when yerim took that opportunity to check out the other woman.
 
dark pants, a pair of nike shoes, and a grey long sleeves.
 
charming, she thinks. this woman reminds yerim of her cousin's exes. and now that she thinks about it, if this woman lives on the same floor as her cousin, then setting them up won't be a bad idea.
 
she giggles inside, imagining how her unnie would react if she finds out about this hot neighbor of hers.
 
but yerim's heart shrinks when she glimpses the wedding band on the woman's finger.
 
she sighs. tough luck.
 
while they ascend, the woman does something causing yerim to raise an eyebrow: she takes off her wedding ring and pockets it.
 
okay. this is interesting.
 
yerim looks around, distracting herself, trying her best not to smile.
 
the doors finally open up to their floor. the woman holds the button for them.
 
"after you." she gestures for yerim to go first.
 
yerim acknowledges the kindness with a nod and a smile. she wouldn't blame the third party (whomever he or she is) for falling for this person.
 
even yerim herself is enthralled.
 
wanting to find out which unit the woman is heading to, yerim goes to the opposite direction and walks back around so she can follow discreetly.
 
and her interest is piqued when she realizes the woman lives near her krystal's unit.
 
heart stops beating when the woman stands in front of her cousin's door, fixing her shirt after pressing the buzzer.
 
a smiling krystal greets the woman. yerim's eyes almost popped out of their sockets when her cousin tiptoes a bit for a chaste kiss, surprising the taller woman.
 
she can't believe this is happening!
 
her cousin then reaches out for the taller's hand to pull her inside. that's when yerim decides to step in.
 
"krystal!" she shouts, startling the two women. she won't let it happen. no. not with her cousin.
 
"yerim? what are you doing here?" krystal asks, surprised.
 
her the words went past her ears as she flounces her way to the woman.
 
"how dare you!" she shoves the woman, causing the latter to step back. "of all the people, why my cousin!"
 
the woman defends herself with her arms. "look, it's not--"
 
and before the woman can even finish her sentence, yerim smacks her right into the eye.
 
---
 
"you could have talked to me first about it instead of confronting amber like that." krystal sighs in disappointment.
 
"i know. i'm sorry. i reacted without thinking." yerim says, watching her cousin press a cold pack against her soulmate's cheek.
 
yeah. how is she supposed to know that her cousin finally found her soulmate in the form of this hot-elevator-girl? who, by the way, is already married to somebody.
 
"we're just lucky you missed amber's eye. i hope this will disappear soon." krystal inspects the bruise on amber's cheek.
 
"hey. it's okay. suzy is on an international flight. they will have a few days overlay before they fly back here." amber takes a hold of the pack. "i'm sure this won't be as noticeable by that time."
 
"and what if she video calls you?"
 
"i can make up excuses. she knows how clumsy i am; stubbing my toe often, hitting my face with the door. this is normal."
 
krystal finally sits on the couch, still shooting glares at yerim. yerim was about to say something, but amber speaks first.
 
"hey. stop being mad at your cousin. i would do the same if i was in her shoes. it's not her fault. she was just trying to protect you."
 
yerim smiles. she's starting to like this woman now.
 
"fine." krystal flicks her eyes to yerim. "why did you drop by here again, unannounced?"
 
"your mom asked me to bring you some food since you won't be visiting for the weekend." yerim points at the packed food on the table. "i was planning to do a surprise visit, hoping to catch you doing something funny."
 
"doing something funny, like what?"
 
"remember last time when i caught you and seulgi fooling around here?" yerim chuckles at the memory. "that was so funny! i remember how you two tried to get dressed quickly." she's slapping her thighs now.
 
amber turns to look at krystal, who clears uncomfortably.
 
and yerim can sense the air getting heavy.
 
"but that was last year!" she waves her hands frantically, sensing the silent exchange between the two women across her. "i know they have already called it off a few months back. right, krystal?"
 
krystal nods and forces a smile.
 
amber stares at krystal for a little longer, one hand still pressing the cold pack to her cheek. her face finally softens. she reaches out to pull the other woman closer, kissing the top of her head. krystal responds by wrapping her arms around amber's waist.
 
yerim softens at that, didn't notice she's smiling again. her cousin had several exes before, but this is the first time yerim had seen krystal looks at someone in that way--like she's the most beautiful thing that's ever happened in her life.
 
she couldn't believe the ordeal the two is facing after they explained to her the whole situation. and like them, she doesn't have a clue about what they are supposed to do.
 
how she wishes things could have just been simpler and easier for her cousin and her soulmate.
 
but being a soulmate-believer herself, yerim knows the spirits have better plans for these two.
 
"again, i want to apologize for my actions earlier. i'm really sorry for doing that." she stands up and bows. "i also want you to know that despite the situation you're in, i am not against this relationship of yours. you have all my support. i trust the spirits will eventually give you answers on how you'll deal with... amber unnie's wife..."
 
amber looks at krystal, grinning. "did you hear that? she's calling me unnie now!"
 
krystal smiles sweetly. she leans into amber's neck and mouths a 'thank you' to yerim.
 
yerim smiles back. "but how did you two find each other again? you said you met at the resort and then ignored each other."
 
"remember that red rope manhwa you showed me before?" krystal asks. "i left a comment there hoping amber would read it."
 
"left a comment there?" yerim looks confused.
 
"amber here is part of team duijack."
 
"what!" yerim's eyes widen. she looks at amber. "krystal's not kidding, is she?"
 
"she's not." amber picks her phone and shows yerim her wallpaper, which is a drawing of the story's main character: xiujing. "i do the character design and the actual drawing of each panel. my friend, yuri, is the overall writer of the plot, events, and dialogues."
 
the next thing happening is yerim jumping onto the couch across, squealing and hugging amber tightly.