one last time

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
amber steps into the bathtub and lays back, closing her eyes as the warm water relaxes her muscles.
 
it was yet another stressful day for her.
 
stressful in a way that she feels so weak and demotivated.
 
it's suzy's off today, which means she couldn't see krystal. to make it worse, they had to spend the night in her in-laws to visit suzy's grandma. amber used to not care about things like this. she didn't mind wherever suzy pulls her along. as long as they're together--that's what matters.
 
but tonight she feels tired like she's already had enough of it; of everything.
 
there's this feeling inside her chest that wants to get out; wants to be free.
 
and she knows exactly what she needs to do.
 
after the issue with krystal last time, amber swore to herself she'll take action. she's been very considerate of her wife's situation--of suzy's grandma--taking for granted krystal's feelings.
 
no. she won't let krystal suffer like that again. she needs to put an end to it. and she needs to do it soon.
 
"boo?" she hears suzy's voice outside the door.
 
"yup. in here," she shouts.
 
the door opens.
 
"hey..." suzy enters and sits on the side of the tub, dipping her fingers into the water. "warm bath on a rainy night?"
 
amber smiles. "just relaxing."
 
"mind if i join?"
 
"why are you still asking me that?"
 
"just want to make sure you're not in your alone mode right now." suzy stands up and starts taking her clothes off. "don't want to disturb your brainstorming if you're trying to come up with something."
 
amber chuckles and shakes her head. "come on in."
 
after stripping off the last pieces of her clothing, suzy carefully dips into the water and sits on the tub, her back pressing against amber's chest.
 
"ahh. this feels good." she slouches, resting her head on amber's shoulder. "it has been a long time since we've done this, right?"
 
amber hums, hugging her wife back in return. "it's because i still refuse to buy a bathtub for our apartment."
 
suzy giggles. "yeah. you like doing this whenever we visit here, but you never want us to buy one."
 
"it's because it's expensive and it's costly. we don't need to bathe like this every day."
 
"still, it's fun to do it from time to time, don't you think?"
 
"true. that's why we're only doing it here when we visit."
 
suzy chuckles. "you really are frugal, aren't you?"
 
"i'm just merely concerned about our financial standing."
 
suzy sits up and plays with the water. "funny how sounded like miss krystal just now."
 
and amber was speechless.
 
she swallows, thinking if she should tell suzy tonight. maybe she should tell suzy tonight.
 
but she's reminded that they aren't alone in their unit. it would be weird to talk to suzy about divorcing under the roof of her parent's house.
 
that would be a foolish move.
 
amber closes her eyes, trying to relax again.
 
yeah. some other time would do.
 
"oh. by the way." suzy turns around to face amber. "i'll be covering for a local flight tomorrow."
 
"hm? i thought it's still your off?"
 
"well, one staff had an emergency. they needed someone to cover the available slot. i volunteered because some of my colleagues covered up for me during my emergency leave when grandma got hospitalized."
 
"oh. how long will you be out then?" amber asks, thinking she could at least visit krystal during that window.
 
"the entire morning. i'll be back by evening."
 
"i see. are we still sleeping here tomorrow?"
 
"no. let's just head straight home." suzy reaches for amber's hands and intertwines their fingers. "i want us to talk, like spend alone time together. a lot of things happened these past few days with my work and my family. i feel like i haven't been spending much time with you anymore."
 
there it is again, the guilty feeling in her chest. but, no. amber has to do it.
 
"sure," she says. "let's head straight home tomorrow."
 
"and because of that..." suzy gently pulls amber closer. "why don't we savor this bathtub for now?"
 
amber knows what that smirk on her wife's face means. "here? what if your grandma calls for you?"
 
"she won't. she's already asleep."
 
"but we haven't locked the door to your room."
 
"shh. it's okay." suzy kisses amber's cheek then her ears. "we're no longer teenagers. they'd understand if we do adult things here."
 
amber feels goosebumps on the back of her neck and her arms as suzy continuously peppers her with small kisses.
 
suzy pulls away, intertwining their hands again. she leans back on the other end of the tub.
 
"make love to me tonight?" she says.
 
amber doesn't want to do it. but she owes suzy this, given the number of times she declined her wife only because she's not in the mood.
 
and thinking about the heartbreak she'll cause suzy soon...
 
right. one last time before she ends everything between them.
 
that's the least she could do for suzy, after all the things she's done for amber all these years.
 
with those thoughts in mind, amber hovers over her wife and kisses her like it's their first night together.