ex with benefits

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
"seulgi, i think it's about time we stop this."
 
seulgi turns to look at krystal who's lying next to her on the bed, crumpled sheets hardly covering their bodies.
 
"what do you mean?" she asks.
 
"this. stop this thing we've been doing for two years now," krystal says.
 
seulgi stares at the woman, mouth ajar. "are you seriously telling me that right after i drove you into a mind-blowing ?"
 
krystal lets out a hearty laugh as she pulls the sheets to cover up her chest.
 
"stop telling me , okay?" seulgi leans backward, arms behind her head. "we both want this. no commitment. no drama. just regular ing."
 
"well, i am not kidding. i seriously think this time we should stop--like end this for real."
 
seulgi eyes the other woman, waiting for her to drop the joke bomb. but all she got was silence.
 
"is krystal jung finally seeing someone now?" she asks. "that's the deal, right? we stop when one of us starts dating again."
 
krystal sits up on the bed and folds her knees. "i am not seeing anyone."
 
"ah. so, there someone you like now, is that it?"
 
krystal glances at her before looking away to rest her chin on her knees. "it's not like that."
 
that causes seulgi to raise an eyebrow. "hold on." she pushes herself up. "did you finally find her?"
 
the corner of krystal's lips tugs upward. she nods.
 
"how?" seulgi asks. "you said you couldn't find her on social media."
 
"it was weird actually. it seems she was hoping to see me too all this time." krystal's eyes point down as she makes circle patterns on the bed with her fingers. "she happens to be the artist yerim has been following for years now. they recently posted a story of a character who resembles me a lot. she even used the alias we've come up with when we first met to name that character."
 
"and this is?"
 
"xiujing." krystal smiles. "so, i left a coded comment there hoping she would read it. she will get it if that's really her. hoping she is at least living nearby, i scheduled to meet her after a meeting with my newest client. the good thing is she showed up. the funny thing is, my new client is her wife."
 
with her jaw dropping, seulgi eyes almost pop out of their sockets. "holy ing spirits."
 
krystal laughs. "just imagine my shock when i realized the situation i was in. i was just glad my client thought her wife came to pick her up."
 
"the spirits sure do play nasty games with you, huh?"
 
"i don't know what's up with them."
 
"so, what happened. did you two meet up after that?"
 
"yeah. just the other day. and we sort of decided to be friends since we know it'll be hard for us to stay away from each other."
 
"friends my . you totally have the hots for your soulmate."
 
"it's not like that!" krystal slaps seulgi's arm. "we're soulmates, okay? we're supposed to be attracted to each other. but it doesn't mean i love her already."
 
"yeah. whatever. what's her name again?"
 
"amber."
 
seulgi didn't miss the smile forming on the other woman's lips. "you never had that look when we're together."
 
"what look?"
 
"that." seulgi gestures at krystal's face. "it's hard to explain, but you look different. maybe that's a soulmate thing now that you've found her again." she looks away and exhales. "now i wonder when will i be able to find mine."
 
"how would you find her if you're not going out looking for dates?"
 
"well, i'm sorry. i was busy ing my ex for the past two years," seulgi snaps, and krystal slaps her again. "what? i'm just telling the truth!"
 
"that's why i'm ending this now so you'll be forced to go around and hang out with other people."
 
still smiling, seulgi stretches her arms out with a groan before folding them to cover her eyes. "well, it was fun while it lasted."
 
she hears krystal smile. "thank you for sticking around. i know i was a difficult girlfriend before."
 
"it's okay. it hurt when we broke up, but now that i think about it, we're better off as friends, aren't we?"
 
krystal hums and bends her head to one side to look at seulgi. "what if there is a reason we met? you know, like a cosmic interference. maybe we're meant to meet because i will eventually lead you to your soulmate."
 
seulgi looks at krystal. "that sounds a bit funny hearing it from a used-to-be non-believer."
 
"yeah. but you'll know what i mean when you experience it yourself."
 
seulgi turns to look at the ceiling. "if that day comes when you and your soulmate would , let me know if it feels much better, okay?"
 
"yah!" krystal slaps her again.
 
"i have a feeling it'll be ten times better than average because of the cosmic interference--"
 
another slap. "yah!"
 
---
 
krystal looks so happy lately.
 
not that seulgi is keeping tabs on her ex, but colleagues have noticed how krystal's been glowing these past few days. and her natural 'stay away, ' aura is now replaced with cheerfulness.
 
she wouldn't claim she knows krystal from head to foot, but her two years experience of dating the woman gives seulgi an idea that something's up.
 
and she's got facts to support her statement.
 
like krystal going home on the dot, this never happened before. she always comes in the earliest and leaves the office last. she's been their highest achiever for years because of her competitive nature. the woman doesn't see work as work, but as a mere outlet for her burning desire to beat all the records.
 
next is, seulgi had known krystal to be a luddite. she doesn't like texting or calling when they were together. seulgi accepts it even if she's super into communication.
 
but lately, she noticed how krystal's continuously been on her phone, texting and smiling from time to time.
 
she knows it's none of her business to meddle with, but she's still worried knowing the situation between krystal and her soulmate.
 
---
 
"she's picking you up?" seulgi approaches krystal who's waiting at the building's front entrance.
 
she follows the woman down after overhearing krystal's talk with a colleague who asked why she seems excited to leave the office early today.
 
krystal's answer revolves around accompanying a friend to the mall, but seulgi's no fool to believe that.
 
krystal looks at her, arms folded on her chest. "if you're planning to make a scene, it's going to be pointless. she and i are just friends."
 
"mmm. a friend who made you decide to stop fooling around with me, huh?"
 
"stop acting jealous."
 
"i'm not jealous. i am merely concerned for an old friend."
 
krystal smirks and shakes her head. her face rearranges into a smile when a gray volkswagen suv stops in front of them.
 
seulgi stands, observing the person who went out of the driver's seat.
 
okay. she won't feel bad if this person is making krystal happy.
 
dressed in an oversized black tee and wide plaid pants, the person approached krystal with a huge grin.
 
"hey. have you been here long?" the person opens the door to the passenger's seat.
 
"no. i just arrived," krystal says.
 
seulgi's now certain these two aren't together yet as they are both looking shy around each other like two teenagers going on a date for the first time.
 
"by the way, this is my friend and colleague, seulgi." krystal gestures to her. "and seulgi, this is amber."
 
"ahh. the amber. i've heard many things about you." seulgi shakes amber's hand, too eager in fact.
 
"oh, yeah?" amber glances at krystal with a slightly confused face.
 
"she's mentioned your name a few times before," seulgi adds, and she can feel a glare on the side of her head, "especially in her sleep."
 
amber looks more confused now. krystal is massaging her temples.
 
"so i would have to leave now. it was nice meeting you, amber." she pats the woman on the back. "enjoy, you two."
 
krystal gives her one last death glare before stepping into the car.
 
amber pushes the car door close and went to the other side, giving seulgi a wave.
 
seulgi watches the car drive away, excited about how the story between krystal and amber will unfold.