double date dinner

INEVITABLE (KRYBER)
"there you go." suzy puts down the box of teabags on her wife's table. "i scoured new york for that, you know."
 
amber checks the box with glint in her eyes. she stands up to hug suzy. "thank you, boo!"
 
"you're lucky you've got a wife scheduled for american flights weekly." suzy closes her eyes as amber kisses her all over the face.
 
"you're the best! muah! muah! muah!"
 
it was when amber pulls away when she noticed the bruise on her wife's cheek. "boo, did you hit your face again with the door?"
 
and amber's response is a huge grin and a scratch on her nape.
 
"tsk. always the clumsy one." suzy caresses her wife's cheek. "by the way, i messaged miss krystal about the dinner date plan after i landed back here earlier. she says she's okay with it."
 
there was an odd surprise in amber face when she steps back, but suzy thinks it's because her wife isn't comfortable with krystal and seulgi's company yet.
 
"she agreed?" came amber's question, which suzy responds with a nod. "with her colleague?"
 
"i asked her to bring miss seulgi along, and she said sure."
 
"oh." amber looks away, pressing her lips together. "so, when is this happening?"
 
"tonight. dinner." suzy reaches out to cup her wife's cheeks. "and it's in a luxury restaurant, so no baggy shirts and pants, okay?"
 
sighing, amber rolls her eyes. "i hate suits."
 
couldn't handle her wife's cuteness anymore, suzy leans in to kiss amber.
 
---
 
suzy spots krystal and seulgi immediately at their table waiting for them. she drags her wife by the arm, excited as to how this night would turn out.
 
if she finds her wife's behavior odd, she chalks it up to amber not being a fan of meeting people or fancy dinners like this.
 
or maybe, amber's just getting her period soon.
 
whichever it is, suzy didn't pay attention to it.
 
they approached the table and exchanged pleasantries. suzy praises how krystal looks beautiful in her pleated shirt dress and how it matches with seulgi's button-up.
 
if she had only spared her wife a glance, she could have seen the annoyance in amber's face.
 
but she was proudly telling the two financial advisors how she got amber to go semi-formal tonight; how she forced amber to wear a suit jacket to compensate for her wife's preferred attire: stripe shirt, trousers, and loafers.
 
she was too busy talking she didn't notice how krystal's eyes linger on her wife a little longer than they should.
 
it was a pleasant start, suzy thinks, and she's right about seulgi having this certain kindness in her. they eventually hit it off well, talking, laughing, and joking at each other like they've been long-time friends.
 
she didn't mind if her wife's hands were kept under the table. and she certainly doesn't find it odd if krystal keeps playing with her ring finger while listening to the discussion between her and seulgi.
 
---
 
"what? you two used to be together?" suzy was in shock after hearing seulgi's confession over dinner. "for how long?"
 
"it was for almost two years," seulgi says. "but we broke up a long time ago and have been good friends since then."
 
"ooh. friends like friends or friends with..." suzy trails off with a smirk, waving her fork in the air.
 
seulgi laughs, krystal blushes, and suzy thinks she heard her wife clear .
 
"we're just plain friends now, ayt?" seulgi playfully nudges krystal who's munching the desserts. "the break up was a mutual decision between us. there were no hard feelings because, you know, what is there left to do if your girlfriend finally found her soulmate, right?"
 
"oh, you did? for real?" suzy looks at krystal with wide eyes, too shocked to notice that her wife is silently coughing on the side. "did you really find your soulmate? and does that tugging thing really works?"
 
krystal presses the table cloth to her lips, nodding. "i was a non-believer too until it happened."
 
"but how did it happen?"
 
"krystal and i were vacationing in gyeongwon resort when they met," seulgi answers. "i was conveniently sleeping that morning, couldn't join her for souvenir shopping. "if i had known she'd met her soulmate there, i could have asked her to stay on the bed with me."
 
krystal's response was a playful arm slap.
 
"gyeongwon resort?" suzy points at her wife. "that's where amber and i had our honeymoon! and she loves that place so much we went back there on our second anniversary."
 
"oh. so you did come back, huh?" seulgi beams. "it is a lovely place, isn't it?"
 
"but how did you take it? it must be hard for you," suzy asks seulgi. "don't get me wrong, i'm happy for miss krystal, but i'm curious how you took the news about her finding her soulmate."
 
"it was heartbreaking at first." seulgi nods, reaching for the glass of water to drink. "but the more i give thought about it, the more it dawned on me how it's useless for us to continue our relationship. krystal can't stop thinking about her soulmate after they met. and as for me, i know i am bound to meet mine sooner or later."
 
"but how did you know it was your soulmate?" suzy asks krystal this time. "is it something you felt right away?"
 
"well..." krystal shifts on her seat, looking quite uncomfortable. "if i'm going to be more honest, i already felt something about her the moment i stepped into that shop..."
 
"oh. it's a her..." suzy taps her wife's arm, who nods back at her.
 
"she's got this aura that just keeps pulling me in, you know," krystal continues, a small smile forming on her lips. "but, yeah, i ignored the feeling because i was in a relationship at that time."
 
"awe. appreciate that," seulgi says. "but how did you feel when you saw her?"
 
"it's hard to put into words how i felt," krystal says, playing with her ring finger. "but when the shop owner, a shaman, told us that we are tied to each other, that's when it made sense to me as to why am i feeling that unexplainable connection with her. it's bizarre, to be honest. because even if i just met her, i feel totally calm around her."
 
"awe. isn't that sweet?" suzy looks at her wife again, who smiles back at her.
 
"but krystal and her soulmate ignored each other at that time because they were both in a relationship," seulgi says. "i don't believe in soulmates before but i witnessed how it affected krystal for years." she shakes her head and sighs before throwing another look in krystal's way. "i'm just glad they found each other again."
 
"ahh. so that's the reason miss krystal's been glowing lately, huh?" suzy teases.
 
"me?" krystal points at herself, blushing. "i'm not."
 
"come on. don't be shy." suzy waves a hand. "it's nice to hear stories like that, to be honest. amber and i are both non-believers, maybe used to be now as we've already met you. but that's the reason we're very much comfortable marrying each other even at a young age, because we know we're meant for each other." she glances at her wife. "though i've to admit i've secretly tried that tugging thing with amber several times. but it didn't work so... i don't know... maybe it means we're not soulmates, right? but i don't care. i am in love with this person, and whomever her soulmate is can just piss off."
 
krystal covers with a hand and reaches for the glass of water to drink.
 
"besides, we're free to love whomever we want, right?" suzy adds. "spirits are just there to guide us in life."
 
"agreed!" seulgi raises a glass. "a toast for love?"
 
"a toast for love." suzy happily raises hers while amber and krystal follow along hesitantly.
 
they clink their glasses together.
 
---
 
"boo?" suzy slips into the sheets beside her wife who's playing a game on her phone.
 
"hmm?"
 
"would you let go of me if i happen to find my soulmate someday?"
 
that seems to have caught amber's attention. "w-why are you asking that?"
 
"i don't know. i just keep thinking about what happened to miss seulgi and miss krystal. it can happen to us too, right?"
 
"and i thought you said we're free to love whomever we want?"
 
"what if it happens?" she wraps her arms around her wife's waist. "and based on miss krystal's story, it seems like once we find our soulmates, there's no turning back or turning away from them anymore."
 
amber remains silent, dropping her phone on the side.
 
"and what if you find yours?" suzy rests her head on amber's shoulder. "what am i supposed to do then?"
 
"i thought you'd tell her to piss off?"
 
"her?" suzy raises her head. "how did you know your soulmate's a woman?"
 
amber looks away. "it's... it's just a guess. i've never imagined myself being with a man. it'll be weird if i'll have a man for a soulmate."
 
suzy laughs. "you're right. that would be weird." she shifts her position to sit on her wife's lap and pushes amber's body down while kissing her.
 
amber's hands found their way around her waist as she reciprocates the kiss.
 
the kiss which suzy expects to escalate into something slowly becomes gentle until they stop.
 
"not in the mood?" suzy asks, kissing her wife gently.
 
"i'm sorry. i'm just tired."
 
"i know. meeting people really drains your energy, huh?"
 
amber smiles and kisses her one last time. "i love you." she drops her left hand on the side, the other hand still s around suzy's waist.
 
"i love you too." suzy rests her head on her wife's chest.
 
she doesn't find it odd even if she noticed how amber had developed a particular habit of running her thumb over their wedding ring.